Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: VirtualDJ on Linux - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Batti5Home userMember since 2007
Attention All Linux users!
We had waited anough for the VirtualDJ for Linux, its time to take action, any linux user please reply to this topic that wishes to have
VirtualDJ on Linux, and convince Atomix Productions to Relase Virtual DJ on Linux

I Vote for two Version of VirtualDJ

VirtualDJ Comercial
a version of VirtualDJ, a Full Feadured Advenced DJing Program to be buyable on linux

VirtualDJ Free
a version of VirtualDJ, a Free Personal Home DJing Program, for starter djs
downloadable in .deb .rpm from this site

So all linux users speek out now or will never see VirtualDJ in linux

for Virtual DJ authors
linux is a Operating System just as Windows and Mac, you have nothing to lose if you relase it on linux, just win
there is a lot of people on linux right now, and a lot moveing, there are already Djing programs on linux, Mixxx, Ultramixer, etc
avalabile to windows too, so if you will not release a linux version and a free home starter version, there is a lot to lose,
so i ask nicely for you to release a linux version as soon as possible, lets not do this the hard way, ok?, we do not wish to abandon Atomix productions and tell others to stay away from it nor any other way, but if its nessesary, we can!, so you should do that it will not be nessesary, by releasing a linux version and a free home starter version.

Thank you for your kindness of reading this request

for us linux user lets start replying we whant VirtualDJ on linux the more the better, and not just by the forum but e-mail, phone, or any
other way,

Me, i whant VirtaulDJ on Linux, First signer of this petition.

Mensajes Sat 16 May 09 @ 2:51 pm

Mensajes Sat 16 May 09 @ 3:03 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
you have a trial version don't be greedy, everyone else that has purchased the software only had twenty days why should you or anyone else be different, goodluck with your linux wish... your gonna look silly walking away all by yourself but.

Mensajes Sat 16 May 09 @ 3:16 pm

Mensajes Sat 16 May 09 @ 3:29 pm
damyxzPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I see the point in releasing a linux version of VDJ. Microsoft will be stopping support for XP as soon as windows 7 comes out, then Vista is there...The worst OS ever conceived by microsoft which will be extinct soon. The way I see it microsoft is the winner in the end with people following them blindly. Linux is an open source OS and is multiple times more stable than any windows OS. Then there is the expensive mac sysytem. I think microsoft engineers glitches in their OS to have people buys their new products. Professional use systems need a stable OS and high reliability factor. Linux seems to be the best bet for an OS to use for this purpose. It is simple, stable, and has a free open source.(no licensing required to make a program for which will make the cost of producing the software down)

Mensajes Sat 16 May 09 @ 10:41 pm
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Whatever about the licensing aspects of various Operating Systems's, what I always liked about Linux was it's stability.
I can remember when I had NT, OS2 and Linux on a single box - took some work trying to partition that lot, but boy, did I have choice? (Anyone remember OS2 Warp? - talk about stability?".)

Give me a linux platform anyday. Windows (and I suspect MAC too) wouldn't stand a chance...

Mensajes Sat 16 May 09 @ 11:13 pm
IMO software like this should be used and set up on a dedicated system. What would be the point of a linux version then? How large do you think the LInux userbase would be and do you think it would support the development cost of a version specific for linux? I think not to be honest.

Mensajes Sun 17 May 09 @ 2:38 am
*SIGH* This petition is a joke.

Since people whining for a Linux port are usually non-licence users, I always suspected their primary motivation would be getting Virtual DJ (yeah, that's how it's spelled, btw) for free. For some reason they think that they have some kind of leverage to give threats even though they are not paying customers in the first place. PURRRRLEEEZE! Just walk away and leave our community, I dare you.

I use Linux at work almost daily and yet my honest opinion is that Linux port would be an absolute waste of time. Linux is great for some uses, such as servers, but it's simply too premature for desktop. The fabled Linux stability seems more like a myth to my experience. On desktop usage I've found Linux to be just as unstable as Windows, if not more.

And let's not forget to mention the fact, that Linux equilevants for ASIO/CoreAudio are unstable and patchy pieces of crap. On average DJs aren't actually that computer savvy, so I find it hard to believe that there would be more than handfull of Linux-savvy DJs out there. Also, the whole concept of "Linux" as a platform is much more diverse than Windows or Mac, that it would be a nightmare for the developers to maintain. Unstable and patchy Linux port of Virtual DJ doesn't benefit anyone.

This might seem like I'm some kind of Linux-hater, but I'm not. Linus Torvalds is actually my countrymen, not to mention that the whole open source ideology really makes me want to like Linux. However, I'm not such a fanboy that I can't see the facts.

Mensajes Sun 17 May 09 @ 5:14 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Good luck with that petition, but I wouldn't hold your breath. There are threads like this every so often - and whilst yes I would like to see a Linux port too - I'm also realistic in the fact that Windows and Mac are the dominant operating systems in the VJ/DJ world. As a cross-platform developer myself I understand the complexities and requirements of porting to a new platform - it's not the simple recompile some people seem to think it is.

Without DJ hardware working the software is next to useless for any professional DJ. My firewire sound and MIDI devices don't work at all under Linux at present for example.

Mensajes Sun 17 May 09 @ 7:28 am
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Mensajes Sun 17 May 09 @ 10:56 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
well with seven signatures filling up the pages for your petition so far i think that's an unequivocal... not bothered

Mensajes Sun 17 May 09 @ 1:56 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Try this or this if you want to mess around with DJ software on Linux

Mensajes Sun 17 May 09 @ 5:35 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree with the previous comment about desktop vs server.

I have been using linux for 8 years now, differet versions of RedHat, Mandrake, Fedora and Ubuntu

For a server, all the above have been fantastic and saved me alot of money compared to micro$oft alternatives.

For desktop functionality & performance with multimedia XP still gets my vote. Possibly Fedora 11 which is released in 9 days could be better in those areas, but I have also been using Windows 7 RC for 4 days (not on my DJ laptop of course) and I am VERY impressed with it.

If your that passionate about Linux and want a video DJ program for it why don't you program one instead of complaining about it.

Mensajes Mon 18 May 09 @ 1:50 am
I would vote for a VDJ version for linux.. i personally think it makes a lot of sense for the work we do, and the way we use computers in our biz.

in reality I realize its a no go.. mainly because their is simply not enough drivers (hardware support) written for Linux.

Mensajes Tue 19 May 09 @ 12:57 pm
It really makes no sense at all, audio support in Linux is years behind windows and mac. And far from stable in many distributions. Then there are so many flavours with substantial differences.

Linux was never designed nor ment to be used for this type of application. And in the real world it is just not cost effective as it is very hard to maintain and the userbase for it is way to low to justify the cost.

So IMO it will not happen. I could be wrong but I doubt I am in this case..

I would dare anyone to come up with 1 valid reason why it should exist..

Mensajes Tue 19 May 09 @ 2:01 pm
paulheu wrote :
It really makes no sense at all, audio support in Linux is years behind windows and mac. And far from stable in many distributions. Then there are so many flavours with substantial differences.

Linux was never designed nor ment to be used for this type of application. And in the real world it is just not cost effective as it is very hard to maintain and the userbase for it is way to low to justify the cost.

So IMO it will not happen. I could be wrong but I doubt I am in this case..

I would dare anyone to come up with 1 valid reason why it should exist..

Why do you think people use ASIO drivers?
Linux was designed for EXACTLY this type of application. Dedicated software with an OS that can be maintained and customized by the end user.

bundling is the answer to many of your comments.. A dedicated version of Linux bundled with VDJ.

For those people who need their computer to do EVERYTHING, then Linux is NOT the answer..
For those who use dedicated computers that ONLY run VDJ, then Linux is very appealing..

Mensajes Thu 21 May 09 @ 12:38 pm
People use ASIO because is is the defacto programming layer to interface audio applications to (external) hardware. It has been in development for years and nothing Linux offers right now comes close to it's performance level.

Developing a linux version even for a certain distribution to be included in the product is still cost ineffective. The sheer amount of work it would require would simply not justify the development cost.

Linux is not suited nor designed for pro audio applications like this. It's audio layer is way behind ASIO and would probably require development of custom code which would add to the overal cost. With ASIO you buy the license and you're done. If you take a closer look there are _NO_ professional audio titles for linux liek there are for windows and mac. And with good reason.

Linux is good for what it was designed for, database/office/scientific applications. It is not meant for our needs.

This is perfectly fine.

Mensajes Thu 21 May 09 @ 1:54 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have had linux crash in multimedia applications before. Also if you think a video or sound driver issue is bad enough in Windows well it can be ALOT worse in linux (if the driver is even available).

With just XP loaded, default skin, performance tweaked and non-essential hardware disabled I have NEVER had a crash using 5.2.1. Why would I change? Windows 7 is looking pretty stable also at the moment for a RC, when its relased its multimedia options will be even further infront as long as its stable (praying).

Dont think I'm anti Linux. I install puppy linux on as many old desktops and notebooks as I can to keep them going, it shits all over windows 98 alternative for those systems. I would also switch to Linux for my entire network for Server, Office and Desktop if our state govt decided not to subsidise all the micro$oft software anymore. I just dont think its a good idea as a VJ, multimedia, video editing tool

Mensajes Thu 21 May 09 @ 8:51 pm
paulheu wrote :
People use ASIO because is is the defacto programming layer to interface audio applications to (external) hardware. It has been in development for years and nothing Linux offers right now comes close to it's performance level.

Actually DirectX is the defacto interface, ASIO came about because DirectX caused to much latency.
If VDJ was ported to Linux, the manufactures of audio cards would come out with the necessary drivers if they wanted the access to those purchasers..

Quote :
developing a linux version even for a certain distribution to be included in the product is still cost ineffective. The sheer amount of work it would require would simply not justify the development cost.

your basing this on what experience? The company I work for does this all the time, and its VERY cost effective

Quote :
If you take a closer look there are _NO_ professional audio titles for linux like there are for windows and mac. And with good reason.

interesting arguement.. :-) , It wasnt that long ago that I saw the exact same statement except "linux" was replaced with "Mac"

Quote :
Linux is good for what it was designed for, database/office/scientific applications. It is not meant for our needs.

So what would Linux need to have to "meet our needs"?

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Video and DirectX thing, IE: I have no idea how much VDJ relies on DirectX and the hardware manufacturer to render the video.. Same with the Mac version, I'm assuming the biggest change between VDJ on the mac VS PC is how it renders video.

Mensajes Fri 22 May 09 @ 10:46 am
34%