Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: VirtualDJ on Linux - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Quote :
[quote]]People use ASIO because is is the defacto programming layer to interface audio applications to (external) hardware.

Actually DirectX is the defacto interface, ASIO came about because DirectX caused to much latency.[/quote]
No, DirectX is not the standard for pro audio, and never has been. ASIO was around before directX, infact it was around before windows. It is and has been the API of choice for pro audio..

Quote :
If VDJ was ported to Linux, the manufactures of audio cards would come out with the necessary drivers if they wanted the access to those purchasers..

You think? to what userbase?

Quote :
[quote] developing a linux version even for a certain distribution to be included in the product is still cost ineffective. The sheer amount of work it would require would simply not justify the development cost.

your basing this on what experience? The company I work for does this all the time, and its VERY cost effective[/quote]
In what field? let me guess...

Quote :
interesting arguement.. :-) , It wasnt that long ago that I saw the exact same statement except "linux" was replaced with "Mac"
MAC has been a front runner for years until windows got good enough that it's huge userbase was a way better target and MAC development slipped to the second place for many apps.

Quote :
So what would Linux need to have to "meet our needs"?

Proper low-latency audio and video, Prpoer drivers for modern high end video cards. ASIO and DirectX9.0x level API..

none of that exists right now, development would mean having to write all the interface code which is a humongous task..

Let it rest, it ain't gonna happen. Linux is simple way to far behind in this..

Mensajes Fri 22 May 09 @ 12:03 pm
Video shouldn't be a tremendous problem, the mac version of Virtual DJ uses OpenGL and there is OpenGL support for Linux. Obviously the most important part is audio and there are documents floating around stating that Linux is capable of 2.1ms ~ 3ms latency which is better than what most Virtual DJ users have - and this is using hardware from nearly a decade ago.

The main issue I think is market share. How many DJs use Linux? How many DJs which use Linux will use Virtual DJ? Is it worth the development cost? I don't think it is.

Update: here's a link to Ubuntu Studio (which uses a realtime kernel): http://ubuntustudio.org/home
Why doesn't somebody with a Hercules RMX and TCV give it a go with Mixxx and post their results.

Mensajes Fri 22 May 09 @ 1:23 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Come on guys...

Windows has the largest userbase than any other desktop operation system. Even if it the worst OS, it is the most used. Then If I am a developer which market will I go?? ...

Mac OS X is Unix based operation system (anyone remember the NEXT computers? that were developed for heavy graphics use?). But only 5% got one... I need drivers for my DJ hardware or it couldn't be an option for me, again I would see Windows drivers for almost everything, but have less for Mac and even less for linux (if is supported).

And now Linux... Well less than 2% of total desktop OS around the world... and also with that many Linux providers... and FREE... Who would give support to all those Linux versions (with bugs also) for nothing?... It will be frustrating...

VirtualDJ in Linux plataform need a lot of money to be a reality, Who is going to pay it??? Free users?? ...

Mensajes Sat 23 May 09 @ 1:14 am
In forwarding thinking, persons are'nt writing malicous files for Linux just now, but as soon as this software user base becomes more popoular/huge I can guarantee that this practice will become very privalent. The point I'm getting @ is Linux will be very stable now considering factor(s) which I just mentioned however this will not be guaranteed in the future.

Mensajes Sat 23 May 09 @ 8:32 am
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
streaming_DJ wrote :
In forwarding thinking, persons are'nt writing malicous files for Linux just now, but as soon as this software user base becomes more popoular/huge I can guarantee that this practice will become very privalent. The point I'm getting @ is Linux will be very stable now considering factor(s) which I just mentioned however this will not be guaranteed in the future.

An OS with it's design based on Unix doesn't get it's stability from a lack of malicious files, it gets it stability in the first place from it's design and secondly from well written device drivers, etc. (It's kernel is tightly protected and the OS has a good multi-level security model built into it).

Granted, because Windows has a large user-base it will have more people try to find it's weak points. But the way Windows was designed makes it an easy target for those writing viruses.

Even if Linux had as large a user-base as Windows currently has, you'd still have less hassle from viruses.

Besides, most Windows crashes and hangs don't occur from a virus on their machine. It's usually a flakey piece of software (utility, application, device-driver, etc.) intentionally installed on it by it's owner/user.

In any event, as much as I like Linux and Unix for specific applications, I don't believe we'll ever see it have a user-base anything like Windows...

Mensajes Sat 23 May 09 @ 9:44 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well the way I see it ... is just like the guys that were asking for a dedicated language forum and yet there were only a couple that posted in the thread ... kinda proved our point on the lack of 'necessity' for the forum.

In looking at this thread that has not been leveled from the NLU community, where the guy said he is starting a petition (9 Total Signatures if you look at the link he provided) and posting on several sites ... how long does it take for them to all rush here and show their numbers ... ????

So much for the vast - Linux-based DJs

Mensajes Sat 23 May 09 @ 12:50 pm
damyxzPRO InfinityMember since 2009
On a business point of view, The market now is flooded with computer DJ systems which are available in both windows and mac. There are also brand rivalries going on and so far there is a big following on the other side(serato). If you want a big piece of the market, why not produce a system(take note, a system, not just a DJ program) using linux as OS and dedicated just for VDJ(all in one mixer, controller, sound card, computer built around a linux system) DAW which has the ability to input different control devices such as CDJ's and TT's with TC? If the system can be made compact enough and has bullet proof stability with ability for upgrades, you can curb the real professional market. Not just mobile DJ's or bedroom DJ's but clubs and professional outfits will be a good target market. At this time any consumer grade computer out there is not really optimized for what pro DJ's use it for...why do we buy those?...because there is no choice at all and we tend to make do with what is available. Basically, if such a device exist at this point, there will be no more point in guessing which brand of computer or which controller or mixer is better for our purpose...if done right, such device will have the technics sl 1200/1210 status of the TT world...the best of it's kind.

Mensajes Sat 23 May 09 @ 11:20 pm
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Well Chris, I thing you're seeing it right...

I know I said earlier in this thread Give me a linux platform anyday. Windows (and I suspect MAC too) wouldn't stand a chance...

I still stand by that statement, if a linux version of VDJ existed. If it did, that's the one I'd be running. But given the current standard of audio/video support within Linux, coupled with the extremely low Linux base (which becomes an even smaller subset if you factor in those that are DJ's), I don't think that petition is going to go too far, no matter how much time time it's given!

If you take the non-viability of creating such a port of VDJ, then you'll understand why (as someone that likes Linux's capabilities), I didn't sign the petition...

Let's focus on improving what we've got ;-)

-Martin.

Mensajes Sat 23 May 09 @ 11:24 pm
And if Virtual DJ for Linux will be made we will all complain to Atomix that video card or sound card has problem (no driver) and is not working with VDJ. Why would anyone want to DJ on Linux? Is it for using VDJ on cheap netbooks with slow CPU and low memory? Or is it for saving money on OS and not buying Windows? Somebody please explain benefits of VDJ on Linux.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 09 @ 12:20 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Sorry I don't see a benefit... Let's take a look on what happen now. You see users complaining about VirtualDJ don't work for them... they don't care if it is it's hardware drivers or the poor knowledge in Computers. So just IMAGINE How would it be if I say "I give Linux Support"... that implies many platforms (Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, Mandrake, Lindows, etc...) pffff...

As I see, VirtualDJ for Linux are Big Problems for me in support... Need an specific hardware and single Linux distribution just to try to do this project work...

Sorry I prefer 100% to go on Unix based OS with Mac OS X than trying something that has lack of driver support (and drivers stability) which many of them could be home made by other users (and with no responsibility what so ever). To many variables to find an error...

Sorry for me, this project in Linux not worth it.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 09 @ 4:10 am
I vote for a vdj for linux.

Benefits:

1 - Earn money ( dont have to pay for Windows or OS X )

2 - No viruses in Linux

3 - Stability

4 - Hardware compatible with linux often works better in Linux than Windows ( better hardware optimitation).

5 - Better use of hardware resources ( Linux eats less ram than windows, linux use all the resources of hardware)

6 - Community support

Note: You have to use hardware compatible with Linux. Drivers problems wont be vdj problems. Would be linux problems. If you have a graphic card not compatible with linux youll have standard drivers but in your whole pc not only in vdj.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 09 @ 4:51 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
masuncion wrote :

Benefits:

2 - No viruses in Linux

3 - Stability

4 - Hardware compatible with linux often works better in Linux than Windows ( better hardware optimitation).

5 - Better use of hardware resources ( Linux eats less ram than windows, linux use all the resources of hardware)

6 - Community support

Note: You have to use hardware compatible with Linux. Drivers problems wont be vdj problems. Would be linux problems. If you have a graphic card not compatible with linux youll have standard drivers but in your whole pc not only in vdj.

1) Earn money - More cheapskate cracked DJ's undercutting. I can just see it now. "Hey Mr. I'll DJ at your pub for 50 dollars plus some drinks with my second hand 100 dollar laptop, free OS and all my limewire downloads"

2) There ARE Viruses for Linux..there are Virus Scanners for Linux

3) I have already mentioned earlier I HAVE had crashes using multimedia applications in Linux, both Ubuntu and Fedora. I havent had a crash since using video 5.2.1 (about 8 months now?).

4) More Hardware issues with drivers, less options with less hardware. Also discussed previously

5) Have you seen Windows 7 RC? It loads and runs quicker than Ubuntu and looks better. Lets wait for the release.

6) Community Support? Thats called a FORUM?

Mensajes Sun 24 May 09 @ 6:02 pm
OS X is not UNIX based, it is based on FreeBSD which is quite different.

Linux is not more or less stable then current windows of Mac systems. That argument is simply a bag of BS

Linux audio and video support is way, no _WAY_ behind both Windows and MAC. Both are vital to VDJ

The 'Free OS' argument is also not applicable here. If it were done VDJ would probably work with a specific build of a certain Linux distribution. The work to get that stable and running reliable would come at a cost.

I can see the arguments why VDJ would work with distro X and not with Y..

Linux is far from a unified front/userbase. It's vastly fragmented into separate an often incompatible distibutions. A nightmare for any development team.

Linux is overrated

Linux requires way to much OS/computer knowledge to be a suitable option for your average Joe.

I think this thread is about done and starts to repeat itself..

Mensajes Sun 24 May 09 @ 6:09 pm
paulheu wrote :

Linux is overrated
Linux requires way to much OS/computer knowledge to be a suitable option for your average Joe.
I think this thread is about done and starts to repeat itself..

Linux is underated, especially the community of users that have done some amazing things.

To make windows into a nice stable platform also requires computer knowledge not found by the average joe..

I think its an interesting thread, and I hope it continues. :-)

Mensajes Mon 25 May 09 @ 10:44 am
masuncion wrote :

Benefits:

almost every new pc/mac/notebook/macbook includes windows or a mac os x. so you dont earn money if you buy a new one.

Mensajes Mon 25 May 09 @ 11:17 am
Quote :
[quote] developing a linux version even for a certain distribution to be included in the product is still cost ineffective. The sheer amount of work it would require would simply not justify the development cost.

your basing this on what experience? The company I work for does this all the time, and its VERY cost effective[/quote]
paulheu wrote :
In what field? let me guess...

Sure! guess! :-)
I'll even tell you how close you get..

and then hopefully you will answer the original question (in bold)

Mensajes Mon 25 May 09 @ 2:20 pm
masuncion wrote :

Benefits:

metroplex2005 wrote :
almost every new pc/mac/notebook/macbook includes windows or a mac os x. so you dont earn money if you buy a new one.

Every new "off the shelf" computer comes with an OS... for those of us who build our Rackmounts and Desktops from the ground up, we have to purchase the OS separately.

but your right, any DJ who is using a Laptop probably would never be interested in Linux, even if by some miracle everything was in place to use it with VDJ..

If VDJ was ever ported to Linux it would probably be first sold by a Company that builds computers for DJ's
like "DJpower" used too.. Basically it would be a plug N play unit with tech support and updates provided by the manufacturer, and everything the DJ needs would be included (IE sound card with XLR connectors, Rackmount, and controller)

Mensajes Mon 25 May 09 @ 2:37 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hippydog wrote :

If VDJ was ever ported to Linux it would probably be first sold by a Company that builds computers for DJ's
like "DJpower" used too.. Basically it would be a plug N play unit with tech support and updates provided by the manufacturer, and everything the DJ needs would be included (IE sound card with XLR connectors, Rackmount, and controller)

I dont think the VDJ 4 Linux voters have really taken into consideration the consequences of this. Alot less hardware options for Soundcards, controllers, basically anything thats USB. You have to expect all the companies to suddenly support Linux also unless you want to be stuck with a specific hardware. If I wanted that I would have just gone the serato path. In the real world you arent getting more options if you choose linux, you're getting less!

Mensajes Mon 25 May 09 @ 6:03 pm
hamyoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Very Interesting posts in this thread. Great to see the passionate arguments from all sides. (Windows, Mac & Linux user here, myself)

Mensajes Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 9:25 pm
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Even if a Linux version is technically possible and could work very well, this won't happen as it makes no sense commercially.
Making such a version would be a *lot* of work and would be a nightmare to support (x distros * y controller * z sound cards).

Mensajes Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 5:21 pm
68%