Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: VirtualDJ on Linux - Page: 3

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Linux is not a real OS, and nobody takes it seriously, that's why it will never be mainstream. Just because 20 people in the whole world uses it, does not mean we should get all excited. OK, who's next?

Mensajes Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:15 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
A Man and His Music wrote :
OK, who's next?

ME ME ME!!! Mr. AMaHM sir, please give me a beat down....lol.... Nice to see you again Rick

Mensajes Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:52 pm
Just took my state board exam, so have been a little busy. Waiting for the results. I have been keeping my eye on things here.

Mensajes Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 9:02 pm
Linux is not a real OS, and nobody takes it seriously, that's why it will never be mainstream. Just because 20 people in the whole world uses it, does not mean we should get all excited. OK, who's next?

Porting Virtual DJ to Linux doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons, we all agree on that, but that's not a reason to start spewing BS about something you obviously don't know anything about.

On certain areas, such as servers and embedded devices, Linux is actually much more mainstream than any other alternative. The userbase is counted in millions.

I don't know if your post was some kind of trollish attempt to be funny, but you're just making yourself look stupid. Feel free not to comment this topic any further.

Mensajes Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 1:45 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
I don't know if your post was some kind of trollish attempt to be funny, but you're just making yourself look stupid. Feel free not to comment this topic any further.

...actually I usually find Rick's comments most amusing :)

Good to see you around again mate :)

Mensajes Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 4:56 am
Welcome back Rick!!!

Mensajes Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 5:01 am
Sincerely Good luck for persuading Atomix Productions to develop VDJ on linux :)

Mensajes Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 7:00 am
I would gladly pay for a Linux version of Virtual DJ. The platform is just much more stable then windows.

Mensajes Mon 12 Oct 09 @ 2:40 pm
Oh please, not this crap again x(

djarchitect wrote :
I would gladly pay for a Linux version of Virtual DJ.

Yeah, sure you would. Just like you gladly payed for the Windows/Mac version.

djarchitect wrote :
The platform is just much more stable then windows.

As much as I would like this statement to be true for ideological reasons, I simply can't agree. As a long time user of Mac OS X, Windows and Linux, the latter is the most unstable to my experience. The kernel and the underlying OS framework is very stable and makes a great server platform, but the desktop usage is still both unstable and very unpolish.

Anyhow, I'm still willing to admit that stablility is a bit subjective matter. What, however, isn't subjective is the fact that Linux still lacks proper/stable universally implemented high-performance audio-API similar to ASIO or CoreAudio...not to mention the device drivers for the actual sound cards.

The reasons why Virtual DJ on Linux just doesn't make sense have been discussed so many times that this is like whipping a dead horse. Just let it go, it's not going to happen.

Mensajes Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 5:36 am
mad4x4PRO InfinityMember since 2009

Yeah but why do we have to live in a world ruled by MICROSOFT. Linux is a real OS and very powerful look at UBUNTU 9.1 far superior and runs out of the box for Netbooks. Very shallow minded opinion if you think we will all remain on MIRCOSOFT Monopoly for the rest of our lives.

Mensajes Fri 09 Apr 10 @ 1:43 pm
mad4x4 wrote :

Yeah but why do we have to live in a world ruled by MICROSOFT. Linux is a real OS and very powerful look at UBUNTU 9.1 far superior and runs out of the box for Netbooks. Very shallow minded opinion if you think we will all remain on MIRCOSOFT Monopoly for the rest of our lives.

Not to flame (really) but the various forms of Unix, including Linux have less than 10% of market share, and the percentage is even less on desktop systems. It is a good OS, no doubt about that. But as a professional software developer who has been at this since the 80's there is one thing that seems to be missed by many of the *nix fans; That is existing applications. Most of these custom build apps run only on Windows. I am not speaking of MS Office, which can be replaced by OpenOffice, I am speaking of applications that are used to run businesses. I build those apps and companies live with these. These applications tend to cost many millions of dollars and while there is a process to move many of these apps to the web so that they can be run on any OS, this is going to take decades. (Really) Since the business runs Windows, users buy these machines for home. It's a cycle.

Linux users tend to be more technical (and that's a good thing) and in the last 12 years since I was introduced to Linux it has come a long way (again, a good thing) but < 10% is still a killer issue for developers to build applications.

The way I usual state this is; If you were a developer and building an app and knew the app would sell to 5% of the market, would you build it for 90% of the market or 10%? This is why Windows will be around for quite a while.

Again, not a flame at all, just the economics of development.

In an additional note; I think that Google's announcement last Fall that they are going to release an OS (Chrome) is a big step to moving more applications to the web. I used to think that heavy apps would not run via the web, but a year+ ago someone showed me Photoshop.com and I have to admit it works well. So I strongly believe that the future is going to be largely web based.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Peace,
James

Mensajes Fri 09 Apr 10 @ 2:02 pm
Next time when you feel like resurrecting a year old thread by posting something that is only vaguely related to the original topic...please don't.

Mensajes Fri 09 Apr 10 @ 6:01 pm
I would say its off topic :-)
just he didnt read the whole thread..

as to "market share" it means nothing..

when you want a computer to do a specialized function like running just one piece of software, then popularity doesnt mean much..

IE windows xp EMBEDDED has less then 0.1% of the "market share", and that doesnt matter to the people that use it..

Mensajes Sat 10 Apr 10 @ 12:57 pm
AlexGRHome userMember since 2010
I added my signature!

Mensajes Sun 16 Jan 11 @ 6:34 pm
330 signatures in almost 2 years, most of which will probably be wanting a free version (since the petition doesn't differentiate).

I reckon Atomix would need a bigger target market than that to attempt development for what is a potential nightmare of a platform to support for AV - and I speak as a Linux user and advocate.

Mensajes Sun 16 Jan 11 @ 7:08 pm
I really want VDJ on Ubuntu but I think there aren't enough people for atomix to make VDJ for Linux!

Mensajes Sat 26 Feb 11 @ 1:06 pm
Before that happens you'll have to convince hardware manufacturers to start supporting the OS. A lot of serious DJ kit simply doesn't work properly under Linux.

Mensajes Sat 26 Feb 11 @ 1:48 pm
"Linux is not a real OS, and nobody takes it seriously, that's why it will never be mainstream. Just because 20 people in the whole world uses it, does not mean we should get all excited. OK, who's next?"

Ahem! Linux IS a REAL OS. Just because it's "too hard" for you, it doesn't mean that it sucks. I get everything out of it that I put into it. Also, Linux is NOT traded in the stock market so you're comparing apples and oranges.

For all you people out there who think Linux doesn't work, I have two words: REALTIME KERNEL

BTW, I run a TON of Windows Audio programs under WINE, and many of them work BETTER on lessor hardware than what would be required for the ACTUAL Windows OS. In my experience, NEITHER of the two big OS's will let you schedule your threads however you see fit - they just just clever buffering algorithms to fool the senses.

I'm not going to lie though. It takes just as much work and dedication to setup an efficient AUDIO system or desktop, as it does to setup a GOOD SERVER. These things don't just MAGICALLY happen, even if audio centric distros say they work out of the box.

Come on people, saying Linux is not a real OS, is like saying that someone who builds their OWN synth doesn't use a REAL synth, just because it's not store bought.

VirtualDJ is a cool program, but lets be honest here, most people who are using it do NOT have a background in computer science with emphasis on pro-audio. If you want VirtualDJ on Linux, then you have to either get Linux developers, OR tweak the engine to work with WINE.

World of Warcraft works GREAT on *nix with WINE, and Blizz doesn't even claim to work on Linux - and this is on OLDER hardware too.

If you want to keep buying new hardware every year, then by all means support <insert_your_favorite_os_here>

But the great thing about Linux is that you REALLY CAN tune your system to meet YOUR needs.

So here's your options:

1) wait for VirtualDJ to become Linux compatible by some means (WINE, or native)
2) use something without eye-candy that is less demanding on resources.

If VirtualDJ is happy with their current marketing, that's there choice - just like investing time instead of money into Linux is a choice.

Everyone is entitled to their OWN choices, but if they are unwilling to LEARN anything about Linux, then it's flat out WRONG to say Linux sucks - all because they are lazy. But if laziness is your thing, then go ahead and beleive Linux is bad - but from ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, I know differently :)

Mensajes Sat 09 Apr 11 @ 1:47 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Two year old thread....LOCKED

Mensajes Sat 09 Apr 11 @ 2:30 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)