Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Just bought a Rane SL2 but realise I can't use Serato!!!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi there I am an oldish hand at deejaying having spent years deejaying for free with vinyl minus the mixing. Not long ago I created a mix using my friends PC which had a (registered and legal) version of VDJ on it. I started circulating my mix CD to clubs and lounges and I have had two fantastic job offers already.

I didn't want to use a controller and everyone told me Serato was the easiest to use and the most acceptable option in a professional environment. I was told I could use CDJs and Rane hardware without getting promoters and other DJs looking down their noses at me as an amateur.

So I invested in two CDJ 400s, a DJM 400 and a Rane SL2 and it's fantastic kit but Serato is designed with the accomplished technical DJ in mind and they have deliberately left out a synch button, an accurate to the decimal point BPM/pitch readout and an easy to see waveform highlighting the kick drums.

I guess it is because Serato as a company and it's users don't want to be seen as equipment and software that enables the unqualified to get involved.

So it leaves me in a bit of a quandary.

I have my dream jobs waiting in the wings and invested in over a thousand pounds worth of equipment but must pretty much learn to beatmatch by ear before the offers expire or find an option that allows me to use my decks in conjunction with VDJ. Is there any such option or am I snookered.

It would be best for me if I could somehow get my Rane SL2 to support VDJ but I'm told that is not possible so I guess I must sell the SL2 quick and get some hardware that supports VDJ.

Is there any such option?

Please help

Mensajes Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 9:37 am
PS: here are a list of things I found fantastic about VDJ which Serato have deliberately left out to dissuade those who aren't accomplished enough from using their products.

1- A nice easy to see waveform highlighting BPMs

2- A BPM readout that is accurate to the decimal point and registers pitch adjustment visually in realtime.

3- Quantized loops.

4- A synch button (which is not essential but can dig you out of a hole in an emergency)

Like I said I can live without synch but beatmatching without a nice spread out waveform where the kick drums stand out as peaks plus not being able to tell what the hell I'm doing when I adjust the tempo makes Serato pretty unhelpful.

Mensajes Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 9:48 am
Try your settings like this

INPUTS, TIMECODES (2)
OUTPUT, EXTURNEL MIXER
SOUNDCARD, ASIO
then in the dropdown select the SL2 and check ULTRA LOW LATENCY

Let us know if that works
Huey

P.S. Dont forget to Register your VDJ Software here on the site to get the latest updates..........

Mensajes Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 9:52 am
Hi there thanks for that but I don't actually have a copy of VDJ on my PC so I won't know if it works until I buy it and try it. Is there anyway of checking it works before I splurge the cash?

Mensajes Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 10:02 am

Mensajes Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 10:07 am
Cheers Huey

Mensajes Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 10:08 am
If you want to use Virtual DJ with your current setup, I have good news for you: you already have everything necessary.

The CDJ-400's have built-in sound cards and they are natively supported as controllers on VDJ, so you can forget the SL2 (and timecodes for that matter) and sell the damn thing.

Just hook up the CDJ-400's USB-cables to your PC and the audio outputs to your mixer.

Mensajes Mon 11 Jul 11 @ 5:51 am
I was wondering if you ever managed to get the Rane SL2 to work with virtual DJ? I am currently debating whether i should get a second hand SL1 box which i am positive works with VDJ or a SL2.

Is the rane SL2 recognized in the sound card drop down options once u select asio within VDJ 7. I no for instance the SL3 is not recognised within these options with 64-bit computers and as i am running a 64-bit i'd like to know if someone has actually got the SL2 to work with one before I buy it.

Mensajes Mon 11 Jul 11 @ 10:49 am
If you know the SL1 works with your system then why waste time and money with the SL2?? It's a no brainer in my book.......

Good Day
Huey

Mensajes Mon 11 Jul 11 @ 11:13 am
So the store i purchased my second hand Rane SL1 from graciously sent me a SL2 instead. Great for most but sadly im not even sure if i can use it with my 64-bit pc and vdj 7. the idea is to just send it back however i thought i'd pop back on the forum to see if someone has of yet been able to get the Rane SL2 box recognized and working successfully on 64-bit pc's.

Mensajes Fri 22 Jul 11 @ 5:58 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have tested Rane SL2 and SL4 on Windows 7 32 & 64 Bit and it works fine.

Download last Serato 2.3 Beta 2 and you will have the last driver. ;)

Mensajes Fri 22 Jul 11 @ 8:42 am
If you are not planning to use timecode vinyl nor the SSL software, I still don't understand why you insist having the SL interface. The CDJ-400s have built-in USB sound cards, so you already have a completely working setup without the SL interface.

Mensajes Sat 23 Jul 11 @ 3:51 am
Can confirm that i did get the Rane SL2 Box to work successfully with my 64-bit pc.

Thanks again

Mensajes Sun 24 Jul 11 @ 9:30 pm
hi

i can confirm now that rane sl2 works with vdj 7.4 (for example )

its unbelievable that vdj is such diverse and multifunctional and can work with everything, just amazing !!!!

Soon i will upload a video on youtube so everybody can see it that its real

VDJ is the future of DJS in my oppinion

Mensajes Fri 07 Nov 14 @ 9:35 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Glad you like VDJ and yes, it's an amazing piece of software.

But.... old thread is old :)

Mensajes Fri 07 Nov 14 @ 9:42 am
I have the old serato scratchlive 1 interface and I would like to know if I can use it with virtual DJ 8 because I want to switch over to VDJ8 and really don't want to buy the rane sl2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Al

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 16 @ 6:12 pm
Can u help me get my sl2 to read with virtual DJ 8

Mensajes Fri 05 Oct 18 @ 8:06 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)