Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: SSHD

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Thinking of upgrading the two hard drives in my laptop to these Seagate 1TB 2.5inch 9.5mm SSHD's.

Any reason not to? Pros and cons of SSHD's?

Cheers,

Roy

Mensajes Sat 18 Oct 14 @ 5:34 am

Mensajes Sat 18 Oct 14 @ 7:11 am
Personally I work off a 3TB external drive - the pro's on this are that everything I do with my music i.e. cue points, tagging etc etc are set to that drive meaning I'm always working with the same 'data' no matter what machine I plug it into. Using the drive on a laptop / desktop means that has to go with you wherever you play.

SSHD though are a good option if you only use your laptop for both stability and speed

Mensajes Sat 18 Oct 14 @ 9:22 am
I have the Seagate 1TB SSHD and no problems. I haven't moved my music collection too it, but some downloaded songs and content unlimited tracks are on it. Since VDJ is used often, it launches quickly..... Reboots from cold to online and usable is about 35 seconds.

Mensajes Sat 18 Oct 14 @ 10:32 pm
Next Q...

So have just taken delivery of two shiny new 1Tb SSHDs... Doing some reading, I am told that the NAND will optimise itself over time and work out which files need to reside there to improve performance.

So here's the dilemma...

For years I have always used dual boot, keeping the DJ side of things completely separate from my general day-to-day computer use without having to invest in multiple machines.

Recently I have been playing with VHDs and the fact you can boot directly from a VHD. This means no more partitions, the ability to backup a complete "state" and restore if something goes wrong in a matter of seconds.

But... Will the SSHD see the VHD as a single file which you boot from it or will it still optimise itself once you have booted from it...?

Can't find any info on that subject anywhere...

Cheers,

Roy

Mensajes Tue 21 Oct 14 @ 9:16 am
Just dug a little deeper. I had my suspicions which have now been validated. VHD's and SSD/SSHD are not necessarily a good idea.

As the VHD is seen as one big file, the OS and drive will not be able to work together to apply TRIM commands when the VHD is in use. This will also mean I'm less likely to see any performance increases on any VHD on the SSHD as the solid sate part is only 8Gb meaning the VHD would never actually take advantage.

If I create a boot partition on each of the SSHDs, I am hoping that the Adaptive Memory Technology will tune itself to each OS...

Guess I'll find out!

Mensajes Tue 21 Oct 14 @ 9:46 am
They will adapt themselves. The drive is OS agnostic, it even works in a PS3 and launches the front end faster than a standard 5400rpm drive.

Mensajes Tue 21 Oct 14 @ 11:18 pm
Yeah... But a VHD is a different beast. It's one large file on the SSHD so all the files within it won't be able to be optimised.

Cheers,

Roy

Mensajes Wed 22 Oct 14 @ 2:01 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Forgive my ignorance G but what is VHD? (Virtual hard drive)? Guessing ;-)

In other news. I have been using a 500Gb Solid State Drive for a little over a year and had only one issue which was caused by a software update cock up. Seems to work very nicely. I use it as my Op Sys/Software drive but still have normal HDDs for music, Video and Live recording use. I intend to replace these drives as funds allow.

Daz

Mensajes Wed 22 Oct 14 @ 4:12 pm
Yeah... VHD is a virtual hard drive. Like a big zip file really...

They started life as a may for virtual machines to have their own drive space but evolved to make them fully bootable to allow them to access the full resources of the hardware.

The SSHD will be a good compromise as the music will be stored on the physical platters mostly. The 8Gb of SSD will optimize itself for the OS giving me quicker boot times and better performance.

I've even gone as far this time to create a spanned volume across the two disks.

So I have a 200Gb partition for normal use, a 50Gb for DJing and a 1.7Gb spanned volume for music...

Already booting very quick. Just restoring my dropbox now then I can reinstall Virtual DJ and hook it up to my saved settings.

Mensajes Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 5:24 am
sshd was one of the best upgrades i ever made. my computer is super fast. boots up in 11 sec!

Mensajes Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 6:17 am
lucas569 wrote :
sshd was one of the best upgrades i ever made. my computer is super fast. boots up in 11 sec!

From Stand By it's faster than that. From cold boot, my record is 22 seconds, I have it autologin into W8 as well.

Mensajes Sun 02 Nov 14 @ 1:19 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)