Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Retiring from DJ-ing!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

gkon116PRO InfinityMember since 2006
After 17 years, finally giving up mobile dj-ing. It's come to a point where I'm no longer happy doing it, it's almost like it's become a job instead of a fun time. I told myself the minute it stopped being fun, I would stop doing it. It's been a great run and I can't believe the change in technology over the last 17 years. I think I'll just create a mini studio where I'll have my controller, computer, and studio monitors and just mix for the heck of it.

Anyone else in this same boat?

Cheers,

Nick

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 2:59 pm
been on that boat 2-3 times. i made a conscious decision to only do gigs where i was having fun, not for the money. The money is a bonus! Its now a hobby i make money on. I can only listen to the bunny dance or electric slide so many times! My gigs are cherry picked since its not my main source of income. Much more happy now.

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 3:36 pm
Been in and out a few times now. Love of the technology keeps pushing me on.

2 gigs in the next 2 weeks. Bring it on!

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 3:44 pm
Hi Nick i was in the same boat many times because of the today's music! ,after 2000 music has been changed. the reason you feel like this because you grove up, i have been dj ing for 20 years still doing it, but i have said no more but again still doing it . Maybe you don't like it because many things changed all this years .i have noticed that , that i still like 90's just because i started to play as a dj in the night clubs , if i could get that crowd back i could be playing on 90's parties every day that's me! those days was fun ,when you doing something what you like it !now you doing as a job that is different ,but you only now that you are professional dj after that long period of time , and that you can stand every kind of party ,and the dj who can read the crowd we are real dj's this is what pushing me to carry on !

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 3:48 pm
Congrats, I will never do another mobile gig, ever. I lasted 4 years and was ready to quit much sooner. Looking back here are some things I wish I had spent my money on rather than gear & music:
*zero turn mower & trailer with all the power tools for lawn care. I actually like cutting grass and theres no ignorant drunks asking to play some horrible request.
*04 Cobra Mustang black with black interior, 395 horse and theres no ignorant drunks asking to play some horrible request.
*600 shares of Apple that would have yielded a $50,000 profit and guess what..... no ignorant drunks asking to play some horrible request.

Props to you mobile guys who keep on spinnin', I don't know how you can do it without laying someone out.

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 6:15 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Having done clubs, bars, pubs and, mobile gigs for almost 30 years in the business, I can honestly say, at this point in my life, mobile gigs are by far the lesser of all evils. Not everyone goes to a bar with the intention of having a good time. The same cannot be said of people going to weddings. One way to assure mobile gigs aren't a headache is, having the proper contract and, good communication skills when dealing with prospective customers.

If I don't feel right when talking to a customer, I'll pass on the job. I don't do many other things outside of weddings now. I saw way too many fights, over stupid reasons, in bars. Now, I have witnessed an argument or two at weddings but, those are few and far between and, my contract gives me the right to pull the plug if I feel things are getting out of hand.

So, unlike clubs, I am in complete control of staying or going.

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 6:38 pm
Something just for new coming dj's ,i I'm Club ,Pub,bar and mobile dj, guys don't get me wrong but mobile dj's Party's or weddings must be more prepared than any club dj 's why : simple because there could be all different generations where you need to play music from 1950 and all up to today. you need to know ton's of music ,if you not ready for that don't go out to play ! Club, Bar, Pub it's a lot easier you don't need to go that back with the music just follow the top 40 and 90's you are ok !

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 7:57 pm
This is the reason why I take a few months off every year. I usually take off November and December because that's all about family and I spend a lot of time away from them doing what I love.

This is one of those things where you never can truly just "walk away" from it. Take some time off, step your game up and come back 👍

Mensajes Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 11:21 pm
gkon116PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have to say I'm feeling all the responses! Even after doing my last gig, I told myself I would keep my equipment "just in case I get the itch!" I've talked to a lot of fellow DJs and they all say the same thing, "it's like the mob, you just can't walk away!" I think the biggest issue is probably being burned out; between having a family, kid's activities, day Job, etc., it's really tired me out.

I was ready to give it up 4 years ago because of all the equipment I was carrying; 2 12" highs, 2 18" subs, a 75-80 lb amp case, and a 60 lb main case that housed my computer. I switched out to 2 QSC K12s, a Denon 6000 controller and a Macbook pro and it made my life pure ecstasy!

However, nothing beats that feeling when you know you completely rocked a wedding and everyone from the B & G to both sets of parents letting you know what a fantastic job you did, in addition to a nice tip! Those are the parties that keep you in the game.

I think at the end of the day, I'll take 3-6 months off to see how I feel and revisit it then, if I get the itch, I'll probably jump back in and be selective about the gigs I take and even then I'll probably limit them to a handful.

Cheers,

Nick

Mensajes Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 12:13 am
Yes, I've tried to stop a couple of times during the last 20 years - but I always get sucked back in...

/Klaus

Mensajes Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 7:40 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I was working in clubs for 10+ years, working from 9pm at night until 4am in the morning (4x per week), and still working a Director of IT during the day. It took a toll, being that I was getting sick much more often due to lack of sleep.

I eventually gave up the club night by night, until I retired from clubs completely. (Yes, I still miss it, and do guest spots 1-2x per month on a weekend day, which keeps it fun.)

I have a mobile gig now and work mostly every weekend, however even if the event is 7-11pm, I'm home by midnight (generally.) - Working until 4am is a thing of the past.

DJ'ing is part of my blood. I can't give it up!

Mensajes Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 8:44 am
I walked away from djing and this is what I learned.
1.drinks are expencive.
2. Women expect me to talk to them and make small chat to get some action .
3. When the DJ sucks , it pisses me off.
4. It's way more dangerous to be in the middle of the dance floor then in charge of it.
5. Red bull doesn't give you wings, it gives you sleepless nights.
6. Women want me to buy them shit...
7. Wait in line to hear some shitty DJ. Omfg.
8. Not all DJ s have the ability to mix.
9. My replacement gets paid 15$ a hour. I'm ten fold that.
10. They get what they paid for.. Should have bought a jukebox after I left.

Mensajes Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 3:05 pm
I started 25 years ago, played for about 15 years , pubs, clubs and mobile work, left it all behind to run my own company, thought it was well and truly in the past, sold all the old equipment , par cans, pin spots, screens, citronic decks and mixer, the custom built speakers etc( all the records are still stacked in the warehouse some ware).

but if you enjoyed doing it , its sort of in your blood, under ya skin, the home hi-fi could never compete, the bass will never sounds as good as a couple of well tuned 18 bass bins, driven at <4 ohm by a chunky mosfet with a areal high damping factor..... tight

So now its a hobby, I do the gigs i want to do, when i want to do them, and ahem... the 'hobby' equipment has expanded until i have a better mobile rig than when i earned a living from it......

and you just cant beat the feeling of commanding that dance floor

would like to do another club before i am too old lol

Mensajes Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 4:01 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
The aging prejudices and damned music being produced is what did it for me.
Back into the studio mixing happily ever after.
Taking nothing but +40 age group parties and loving it.
It put my kids through college, paid for a ton of gear and met loads of new friends.
No regrets what so ever, you gotta pick your battles and you can't reverse the aging process or
redirect the music industry.
And everyone lived happily ever after, The End...

Mensajes Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 6:07 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)