Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Old Reliable Rig - Video Card Question

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

So my old reliable rig finally got the blue screen of death. Damn Norton! I never messed with it. Never really connected to the internet much. Still ran XP and poof. I get greedy trying to install 8 on it. Updated Norton and ran some tests. Should have stayed with 7. Well I will not give up. I ordered a replacement hard drive as I think it is nothing more than a hard drive failure on my install drive and will start fresh (It is a PATA connect not even SATA lol). My question is since I'm in there what is a decent video card? My rig specs are posted in my profile. Any suggestions. It is an older rig but has been nothing but solid as I really kept it cool with extra fans. I have a PCI express riser in their now. Thoughts? (I do not have the Gforce 6600GT in there right now by the way. I have a SAPPHIRE 100156L Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Overclocked Edition CrossFire Ready Video Card) I know old but this system kicked butt for many years.

Mensajes Sun 25 Jan 15 @ 6:25 pm
I am in no way trying to be cynical...... But, I can't believe you carry that around to do shows...... By today's standards it's way under powered , bulky, and it has a pata hard drive...... It must be extremely slow. I am digging the pcdj controller !

In all seriousness, with the older amd processor and only 2 gig of ram vdj8 is out of the question... A decent core i5 laptop with a 500 gig can be had for 5 - 6 hundred. Yes more than replacing the hard drive in your current setup, but would be much better at everything

Just my 2c

Johnny

Mensajes Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 1:10 am
I hear ya but works much better than you think. I never once had a crash during a show. Yes I did this part time but never once a crash live. Last year I counted 300 events on the rig over 9 years (yes 9 years). Yes bulky but everything is there and its always worked flawlessly for years. I used it in 100 degree temps, 30 degree temps. Always fine. Have an updated laptop version as well and it has crashes. This rig has always been there for me. DAC2 was retired years ago and the RAM was upgraded to max 6 gig.

You are prob right. Maybe it is time to retire it. Just shows ya how long a system can last if you take care of it. Shouldn't have messed with it.

Mensajes Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 9:40 pm
ChumbarControlleristMember since 2015
oops.

Mensajes Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 3:49 pm
I still have my laptop from 2006 with vdj 7 and it runs reliably. but when I compare it to my newer laptop it's slow bulky and outdated. do what is best for you, but I newer laptop optimized Will run circles around the old rig

Mensajes Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 8:34 pm
I play outdoor gigs sometimes or gigs where it is hot. Do you have issues with overheating? Also if I were to have a 400 budget what controller would you get?

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:27 pm
Everyone has an opinion on which controller is best, I own 4 of them. Depending on if I'm in a club , a small gig, or party decides which one I use. In my opinion right now the best controller for the money is the akai amx Small ,portable , great sound card and it fits your budget. I don't own one , but that's my next purchase. Downside , no jog wheels... The Denon mc 2000 is another that I like Smaller than many yet has a lot of features Both of those are under $400 As for outdoors, I wouldn't want any computer in the direct sunlight as it would cause issues

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 8:47 pm
Thanks for the help. I may go ns6. Thoughts? A little pricier but looks worthbit.

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 10:39 pm

Mensajes Mon 02 Feb 15 @ 1:32 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)