Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Electric (Non VDJ related)

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Had a situation where I had only one outlet.
It is a 110 V a5 amp circuit.
My equipment (Speakers controller lights etc) totaled 2680 watts.
I did not not have any issues, but this seems a bit crazy as you
are only supposed to use 80% of the circuit.
Just curious as to why I had no problems?

Mensajes Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 4:03 pm
Because music is dynamic so average current draw from the mains is so low compared to the peaks.
It's normal to calculate 1/8 of the peak power to be average.

Mensajes Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 6:00 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
As Jackson said the draw isn't constant but by my rough calcs you were close to tripping the breaker.

A 5 amp breaker will go all day @ 5 amp, but will trip instantly at a constant load 140% of the rated current.
How quick it trips between 1 & 1.4 depends on the breaker curve.
There is a possibility that the circuit had a incorrect breaker and you were cooking the cable, either way you got lucky the power stayed on. Fires can

Mensajes Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 7:02 pm
You confirmed my thoughts.
Still strange nothing happened.

Mensajes Mon 30 Nov 15 @ 1:15 pm
You were extremely lucky, especially with the lighting also connected. If they were led, that probably helped you. The breaker was probably mislabeled, who has a 5 amp line? What's worse, it was faulty and didn't trip. I carry two 12g 50ft extension cords, so I can find another line somewhere.

Mensajes Mon 30 Nov 15 @ 6:02 pm
Just another reason why I'm not a mobile dj, lol!!

But I do respect you guys and all the shit you do because I'm lazy, lmao!! No but seriously loading in and loading out then having to worry about plugins and power plus all the other things that go with being a mobile dj, its tough!! You've got my respect 100%!!

Keep up the good work fellas.

Mensajes Mon 30 Nov 15 @ 6:30 pm
A Man and His Music
Yep I had 50 and 100 ft cables. Also outlet was 15 Amp, so it was mislabeled.

Mensajes Mon 30 Nov 15 @ 7:00 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Electricians advise; drum extension cords should be fully unwound as coiled they cause a back emf that can melt the cable.

Best practice (in all electrical/electronics/rigging) is cables no longer than they need to be.
And a big piece of advice for mobile djs; bring your own (proven) RCD, a lot of small venue electrical infrastructure is substandard.

Mensajes Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 12:16 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)