Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Projector Tips For Beginners. - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
It seems to me to be a good idea to know what's inside your equipment. It's not desirable to buy a new expensive projector, and then strip it down. Therefore a cheap ebay projector is a good solution.
Like as not it will be sold as fully working, however that will not be the case.
Projectors are full of lens, and other optical elements which collect dust.
Dust causes image dimming, and colour distortion.

Get the dust out of your projector!
Tools required : Screwdrivers, cotton buds, and alcohol (Hm.. not to drink!).

Here's a fine you-tube tutorial about reconditioning an Epson X5 projector.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsTJGKLAF6A

I bought a Epson X6 for almost buttons, it now has an excellent picture.

Notes:
1) Only attempt the above task if it's within you ability range. If you don't know what a screwdriver is forget it!
2) Further image improvements may be possible since some, if not all bulbs/lamps become dim with age.
An ebay seller with a 100% records is selling bare replacement lamps at a very low cost (under £30).

Good Luck.

Mensajes Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 5:14 pm
Those projectors arent very good Ron [epson emp x5 and the x6].

Their only 2200 lumens, no wide screen and neither are short throw. I would not recommend either.....

Try Benq MW853UST 3200 lumens so it does well in lite room and its an ultra short throw.

Mensajes Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 9:17 pm
I know an 8 year old projector isn't very good, I only paid £35 for it!
The point is it will do the job well in small, and medium sized venues,and hangs on in a cinema sized venue, I've tried.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-MW853UST-Ultra-Short-Projector-Lumens/dp/B00N4AOH48

List Price: $1,999.00
Price: $1,349.99 & FREE Shipping
You Save: $649.01 (32%)

..for this sum of money I'd expect very good!

This thread is not for you Beatbreaker, it's for those who are short of money, and are just starting out as VDJ's.

Mensajes Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 10:53 pm
I take a different approach. Do not buy any equipment, if you just want to get by. You will not be able to do the gigs that require more, and will have to buy the better equipment later anyway. Why spend twice? Get the better projector, and get the use out of it, that you paid for. You can use a great projector in a small place, but can't use a cheap projector in a big place. Don't have the money? Stop eating and drinking for a week, or stop feeding your kids 3 meals a day. Save up for what you want, don't buy what you can afford.

Mensajes Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 11:16 pm
Couldn't of said it better!! 100% truth right there!

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 1:08 am
brand new, but this has always worked for me,.....if there is no struggle,........... there is no progress, and god bless the child that's got his, or her own.

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 1:46 am
I had a great night, my equipment was close to perfect.
The £35 (about $55) projector did very well in a medium sized social club.

Tonight I'm doing a club which was once a cinema.

There does seem to be an agenda here to promote new, and expensive equipment.
This is to the disadvantage of all DJ's.

My old laptop is still doing fine.

I mostly get praised for the work I do, tonight was no exception.
The audience is the judge.

On a scientific point the lamp/bulb brightness relationship to lumin is not linear. Doubling my projectors rating from 2200 lumin to 4400 would not double the brightness. The relationship is like that of sound output and the speaker rms power rating.

I'd bet my projector optics are cleaner than either of the two who have commented here, hence I don't think they have much of an advantage.

The latest features are not really that important, hdmi has still got a long way to go, and a vga connection offers greater flexibility, as does a 4:3 screen, which can be manually altered to other aspect ratios.

Note: This is a silly comment "or stop feeding your kids 3 meals a day."

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 1:57 am
I'd take that bet Ron. Theres no way in hell a 2200 lumen projector is gonna be as brite as a 3500/4400 lumen projector!! I'll gladly take your money, lmmfao!!

Ron I've been using projectors for the last 6 years and you still have a lot to learn obviously.......

As for your agenda comment, that is total bullshet Ron!! I to was once a beginner and bought the cheapest stuff I could find.

Sure it worked but when I wanted to cross into the next level my cheaper equipment just couldn't cut it, PERIOD!!

In the end I ended spending double because of the cheap stuff, do it right the first time and forget about it.

You are an exception Ron, your older and have the experience that these newbs don't and wont foe years to come.

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:14 am
I never said that they would not be brighter, just not that much brighter.
It's probable you have not got a clue what the inside of your projector is like.
Dust gets everywhere.

Would manufacturers manipulate a forum like this one for financial gain?
They would be fools not to try!

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:29 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It will end in tears for some, if they start mucking about with optics and mirrors.

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 6:28 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I live up Newcastle way, I'm from the North East... lol

For me, you buy or fabricate an item that is fit for purpose, if you can get a good deal along the way and it does what you require it to do then that is a good deal. If you buy an item thinking it is a good deal and it doesn't come up to standard if you happen to need to use it in a different environment to what it was bought for, then that is not such a good deal, in fact it's self inflicted disappointment, defo not a good deal.

But I agree with the others here in one sense, if you are constantly in different venues be prepared for any eventuality even if that means forking out more money for the equipment you require. But on the other hand, starting off with equipment that is not top of the range when new to the game should in my view not be looked or frowned upon as second best, if that person has a goal and is willing to re invest any capitol gains from the original "will do for now" purchase to get to the level he seeks to achieve.

Your brightness of projector should be looked at as DB ratings are used, lumens are rated in a similar way, the higher the lumen it will be exponentially brighter than the previous number.

Look at it this way, you put a picture on the wall with a 2000 lumen projector people at the front will see a clearly defined picture, people at the back will see a blur of light. Put a 4000 lumen projector in it's place, people at the front are gonna see great detail in the image, while those at the back will see a clearly defined image. Horses for courses.

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 1:35 pm
Ron, I leveled your post about the Wright Bros, because it was irrelevant to this thread and any other thread on this forum.

I don't owe my kids anything, because I gave them life. They are still alive because of me, so my remark about feeding them was sarcasm, (you have heard of that). Wake up. What they eat, depends on how much money I make. If I buy a product that limits the jobs I can take, that limits my income. Are you keeping up? If I spend $600.00 on a projector, that only lets me do small rooms, I have to turn down the gigs that are in big rooms. How long am I going to turn down these gigs? How long will people keep calling me? I have been there and done that (have you ever heard that).

Now I'm going to have to spend the $900.00 to $1200.00 for the better projector, on top of the $600.00 that I spent on the limited projector. Have you ever heard of measure twice, cut once? The same principle applies here. If you don't have the money to get what you want, save up for it, or charge it like the rest of the world. This is an investment. As for your comment about HDMI not being there yet, it is too ludicrous for me to even address. Who buys a projector in 2017 that does not have HDMI? A USB input? Stop this crazy talk. There is a reason they make projectors with higher lumens.

My kids have all survived into adulthood, because their father did not waste money buying twice, like he did when he first started.

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 3:35 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
I'd take that bet Ron. Theres no way in hell a 2200 lumen projector is gonna be as brite as a 3500/4400 lumen projector!! I'll gladly take your money, lmmfao!!

Ron I've been using projectors for the last 6 years and you still have a lot to learn obviously.......

As for your agenda comment, that is total bullshet Ron!! I to was once a beginner and bought the cheapest stuff I could find.

Sure it worked but when I wanted to cross into the next level my cheaper equipment just couldn't cut it, PERIOD!!

In the end I ended spending double because of the cheap stuff, do it right the first time and forget about it.

You are an exception Ron, your older and have the experience that these newbs don't and wont foe years to come.

Another man that has been there, done that. I mean isn't this just common sense at this point?

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 3:49 am
We all have to start somewhere and buying some cheap equipment might let the ball start running saving for the more expensive stuff.
I don't know what is right or wrong but you gotta start somewhere.

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 7:45 am
I agree, you do have to start somewhere but with somethings its just gonna cause you a headache.

And like I said, Ron is older and has experience so he knows if he can handle a job or not.

Where as a newb might jump on whatever and have a bad performance and with that bad performance comes a strike against his name which as you know in this business can go a long way.

I get that Ron wants to help people but I don't agree with his always telling people cheaper is better.

Cheaper is only better for a guy like Ron who has the "experience" which is needed to throw a good performance with sub par equipment.

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 1:59 pm

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 6:06 pm
The screen was £11.99 on Amazon or Ebay.
It is essential to use elasticated straps (£2 for 5 Ebay) to stretch it, and remove any creases.
The frame is just part of an old goalpost arrangement.

Note that a cheap Behringer amp has replaced my 2 x 1000w RMS bi-amped system.
This is a bit tricky, don't ask why or how.

The yellow led's on the left hand side of my Akai apc mini control the video samples.

The photos are from a cinema sized venue.

I'm sure all your comments will add to my skill set, good or bad.

This system will get a newbie going cheaply.

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 6:18 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :
We all have to start somewhere and buying some cheap equipment might let the ball start running saving for the more expensive stuff.
I don't know what is right or wrong but you gotta start somewhere.

Yes, you have to start somewhere. However, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. This business that we are in, is just like any other business that requires tools and equipment. What part of this is so hard to understand? Who buys a cheap pair of winter boots, that are not insulated and waterproof? I bought a hair salon? do I get the cheap hair dryers that do not get hot enough, requiring the client to spend more time under the dryer, making the dryer stay on longer, using up more of my electricity? How much am I saving? Do I get the cheap haircolor, that does not cover grey well, and washes out as soon as next week? How much am I saving? My clients would like that. PSSL has a wireless Gemini mic on sale for $49.00 today. It works OK for the DJ standing next to the receiver, in a room with no glass or mirrors, no interference from the kitchen microwave. As soon as he's 30 ft. away, giving it to the groom, we hear those great mic noises. Who would recommend that to an upcoming DJ? Maybe I should buy this cheap nail gun, that keeps jamming, and bending the nails. How much money am I saving now?

NO ONE HERE IS SUGGESTING THAT YOU BUY THE TOP OF THE LINE EQUIPMENT, IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING OUT. What we are saying is, it cost money to do any job well. Do your research, read reviews, talk to people that know more than you do. Then you make a decision that works best for you, not what is the cheapest. When was the last time you saw a laptop, with a S-video output? Why would you buy a 10 watt moving head, that only looks good in your living room, with smoke? Where is the wow factor, when the people in this reception, saw the DJ last week with 90 watt moving heads? So you buy a 60 watt moving head, and it will look a lot better, and you will get more bookings. You didn't break the bank, but also not stuck with a limited piece of equipment.

Unfortunately, our clients are more knowledgeable than they used to be. Brides are asking for moving heads, wireless up lighting, facades, dancing on clouds etc., in the first conversation you have with them. It really is sickening, but they know what they want. If they saw you last week, with your weak projector, microphone that kept cutting out and making those loud noises, shabby looking façade, and moving head that no one could see, they will not be calling you. They know you are a cheap DJ, with cheap equipment. Hey, if that's all you are worth and that is the market you are trying to get, go for it. Even then, your cheap equipment will fail you, so how much have you really saved?

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 9:29 pm
@AMAHM.. I was hoping that you would make some comments about the photos I posted.
Why did you instead address Mr.Jackson?

This thread is not for you, or Beatbreaker (How did he become The Sound Insurgent?).
It's for newcomers to video dj'ing.

Would you post some photos of your rig so we can all learn?

How are you getting on at your club using the MC6000 Mk1?

Mensajes Mon 02 May 16 @ 9:56 pm
Ron, I just remembered that this is your thread, so I am not going to address most of your last post. I am actually working, and it would take way too much of my energy tonight. I am not into pictures, but I'm sure I can get a couple up when I am home. As for my new MC6000 (Used, just had a couple of months), I just took a picture of it in action now. I will include a picture of our new lighting program for time stamp. I am actually looking at another used one. This will make 3, and I can keep one on my desk.

It seems I am unable to upload tonight's pictures, will try tomorrow. They may be too big.

Mensajes Tue 03 May 16 @ 1:13 am
26%