Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Win 10, One down and Two to go - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 which is my backup unit, this afternoon at the club. Will do my work machine tomorrow night after the gig, and the desktop on Friday. I am off Friday and Saturday so hopefully will have a chance to work out any bugs. The Surface Pro seems to be doing OK, but I haven't plugged in a second monitor yet, so that's something for me to do when I get off. The free deadline is Friday.

Mensajes Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 9:51 pm
Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade from 7 to 10 on my bootcamped Mac. I've been DJing happily with the Mac side for a few months now, so, feel comfortable to mess around with the PC side.

Apple decline support for W10 on my Mac as it is a mid 2010, they only support W10 from 2013 Macs.

Hmmmm, we'll see where this goes, can always revert back to 7 if needed.

Mensajes Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 10:16 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
A Man and His Music wrote :
Just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 which is my backup unit, this afternoon at the club. Will do my work machine tomorrow night after the gig, and the desktop on Friday. I am off Friday and Saturday so hopefully will have a chance to work out any bugs. The Surface Pro seems to be doing OK, but I haven't plugged in a second monitor yet, so that's something for me to do when I get off. The free deadline is Friday.

Windows 10 Free upgrade offer ends tomorrow (29th). But get it done now. If I were you and wanted a chance to test it, clone your hard drive or do a complete backup of it. Then, install 10. After that, restore your backup image and you will be right where you left off. However, that will get you the free upgrade before the deadline.

Better yet, if you have a second hard drive to spare, clone your current system to that, swap the drives and update the new drive. When you're done, put your original back in.

Mensajes Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 2:57 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I've hit a few problems with win 10.
I've upgraded my two laptops to win 10, and also am thinking of upgrading my hardware to an i3 (don't laugh).
The i3 has a win 8 bios which makes using a bootable dvd difficult.
I was going to use an Acronis dvd to clone the hdd onto a more suitable larger hdd, and failed.
It seems I have much too learn.

The thing is win 10 reverted to win 7 in 15 min. around 6 months ago.

Mensajes Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 1:17 am
Use the media creation tool and run it. Download the .iso file when asked and save it to your desktop.

Then, using 7zip, extract the .iso file to a folder. Do it just like a zip file.

Once it's extracted, open the folder that you saved the contents to and run the setup.exe file.

It's much easier and faster that way.

Good luck.

Mensajes Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 9:52 am
Done. Mixing all day and Saturday because I have to play Sunday and Monday. Everything seems OK but will let you know how things turn out. Desktop needs more work, as I upgraded SSD and there is nothing transferred. Just have to connect old drive and move everything over, which will not happen until Tuesday.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 6:43 am
I just bought a new laptop yesterday with Win 7 Professional on it. I don't have a good feeling about 10 going forward.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 8:47 am
kradcliffe wrote :
I just bought a new laptop yesterday with Win 7 Professional on it. I don't have a good feeling about 10 going forward.

Since Win10 is reportedly the last Windows version, eventually, you'll have to get used to it and use it. Even if that means it's a few years down the line.

That is unless you buy a Mac or switch to Linux (which VDJ does not support). I have not found a single issue with Win10 and VDJ.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 9:52 am
Until MS release an automatic update that screws everything up, like the one earlier this year that borked video drivers. This has disaster written all over it.

Thing is I know about what they are doing but most normal users don't. They are the ones that will just turn up at a gig and be in the $hit.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 10:24 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Until MS release an automatic update that screws everything up, like the one earlier this year that borked video drivers. This has disaster written all over it.

Thing is I know about what they are doing but most normal users don't. They are the ones that will just turn up at a gig and be in the $hit.

this is why you make sure you have the pro version so u can control updates :-)

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 11:00 am
But most people won't as they are updating from the home version of the previous OS. They're not going to pay for the Pro version when the standard upgrade is "free"

For us techies it's fine .... it's the majority of normal users this is going to impact the most.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 11:03 am
when you upgrade from a pro version you get the pro version free FYI :-)

also i would hope anyone doing professional work on a computer would realize they need a professional version of windows kinda a no brainier but like you said there are those out there

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 11:06 am
Even top end laptops have the home version of Windows. Several years ago Pro used to be standard on them but to cut costs the OEM suppliers put the home version in as standard with Pro as a paid upgrade. Unless the laptop was for business and had to connect to a domain there was no point in paying for Pro, so I still stand by my statement that the majority of free updates will be to windows 10 home.

MS are disabling more and more with each update and are now blocking certain switches in Group Policy Editor. Have a read of this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/29/windows_10_pro_anniversary_update_tweaked_to_stop_users_disabling_cloud_ads/

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 11:12 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As far as I know, even on the home version you can postpone updates for 24 hours, and you can manually install other drivers if you would download a fix directly from Nvidia for example.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 1:31 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

Then, you run the script I made that disables Windows Update. Then, you won't have that problem around gig time and during. You can update when you get a chance.

Besides, if our computers are working well, they don't really need to be updated unless you are using it for more than VDJ. It's up, it's working, songs are playing, effects... effect, etc, there is no need to update. Your system won't just stop working if you don't. Like I said, the only reason you'd need them is if VDJ needs you to for an update or you do more than DJ with it. In that case, it becomes a security and reliability issue.

Mensajes Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 4:44 pm
Testing on work machine went flawlessly for two days. Get to club last night, and have one crash, and other issues. Had backup ready (mp3 player) so it was not wrist slicing time. Had other issues that caused me to restart several times. Have to be at the club in a hour, so will deal with computer tomorrow, and have backup ready.

Mensajes Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 9:53 pm

Mensajes Sun 07 Aug 16 @ 8:55 am
Blimey, there's a "mountain out of a mole hill" article if there ever was one!

What % of people are having these issues (out of millions of users)? It doesn't say. Then it goes on "Everyone.........expected installation problems". Well no they didn't, coz I'm a part of that "everyone" and I expected it to work.

He talks about broken drivers & quotes an email from Brother. The email simply suggests reinstalling their driver if you have an issue. What, you have to reinstall a driver? OMG! He makes it sound like the end of the world.

No problems here. I updated yesterday, and everything's fine.

Mensajes Sun 07 Aug 16 @ 9:16 am
also there are a bunch of new options that relate to how and when updates are installed virtually eliminating updates being installed when you are busy with your machine. These settings have been added to home and pro versions in the anniversary update.

anyways some folks will always worry big brother is out to get them no matter what lol

Mensajes Sun 07 Aug 16 @ 1:22 pm
OK, I may have had a 24 hour virus or something. Wednesday, Thursday, and last nights gig went flawlessly, even though I did not have a lot of my settings correct in VDJ. Playing now with Launchpad S, and I think all of my are settings correct.

I expected Win 10 to work for me, and deleted remnants of 8 from my gig machine this afternoon, so there is no going back. One reason, I needed the space, which may have been an issue last week. I was working with only 2% free space, which is a no no for me. I ordered a 500g SSD this afternoon. Will let you know how tonight goes.

I just thought of something. Why didn't I get a 1TB SSD? Will check on the prices now.

Mensajes Tue 09 Aug 16 @ 12:47 am
95%