Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Oh my.....Roland DJ-808! - Page: 3

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hey, no pointing fingers! LOL!

Don't you worry folks, I will test my 808 with VDJ so I could be of little help on your decision whether to get one or not.

And to defend my side...
*I have all my files analyzed and (top playlists) beatgridded in SDJ.
*VDJ beatgridding is like "French" to me... I can't comprehend at all.
*Rekordbox beatgridding system is also a bit different but workable.

Mensajes Wed 30 Aug 17 @ 6:52 pm
Don't worry I also use SDJ and Mix Emergency ;-p

I just wanna know that everything matches up and works perfectly with VDJ like it does with SDJ.

Mensajes Wed 30 Aug 17 @ 7:39 pm
From the initial test that I did, I could tell right away that the MIDI/SYNC integration of the TR-S is totally different in SDJ than VDJ.
The MASTER/SLAVE is what makes the difference.

Case 1:
In SDJ, you have the choice which should be the master after opening the program.
Load a track, press SYNC of that Deck it follows the BPM on the 808... means the 808 is the master. (Cannot be done in VDJ*)
If you press SYNC of the TR-S after loading a track, it follows the BPM of the Deck...means the Deck is the master (Can be done in VDJ)

Case 2:
While playing together, if the TR-S and the Deck went out of Sync, pressing Sync on either won't line the beats back
(SDJ will instantly line up the grids whether you press the Sync on the Deck or the TR-S)

Case 3:
While TR-S and the Deck play in Sync perfectly, changing the BPM from the TR-S pitch-knob won't make the BPM on the Deck to follow.
(In SDJ, it is possible to leave the pitch fader of the Decks @ 0 (center), press Sync, and use the TR-S pitch-knob to either slow-down or speed-up)

Summary:
(The GOOD!) the BPM of the TR-S follows the speed of the Deck when the pitch-slider is moved up or down but...
(The BAD) it's the Deck that you need to line up to the Drumbeat if ever they go out of Sync. It's doable but would be hard especially if mixing with more than 2 decks.

The devices that will be connected to the USB and MIDI ports of the 808 will sync with the TR-S on both programs.

If you're planning to buy this unit and use it with VDJ, don't even use it with SDJ and get used to it with VDJ right away to avoid confusion.

*Note: I didn't read the instruction/manual of the device with VDJ. I just tried the common functions in SDJ to see the similarities and the differences. There might be ways to do the ones I thought are "not doable" but definitely not the same controls in SDJ.

This test was just about how the TR-S integrates with the Decks.
If there are other functions you want me to test for you in particular, please let me know of the specific function.

Cheers!

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 7:17 am
938MyDJ wrote :

Summary:
(The GOOD!) the BPM of the TR-S follows the speed of the Deck when the pitch-slider is moved up or down but...
(The BAD) it's the Deck that you need to line up to the Drumbeat if ever they go out of Sync. It's doable but would be hard especially if mixing with more than 2 decks.

Just trying to understand...
Would this help:
"SYNC Synchronizes the tempo of the TR rhythm to the tempo of the VirtualDJ Master Deck
Hold SHIFT and use this button to enable/disable Midi Clock synchronization. When enabled, the TR sequence will start/stop playing following the playing status of the Master Deck of VirtualDJ."

It's from the VDJ Roland 808 manual:
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808/layout/sampler.html

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 8:44 am
Hey Thanks bro, I might have to pick one up and just give it a hands on and see if I like it or not with VDJ.

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 11:05 am
klausmogensen wrote :
938MyDJ wrote :

Summary:

Just trying to understand...
Would this help:
"SYNC Synchronizes the tempo of the TR rhythm to the tempo of the VirtualDJ Master Deck
Hold SHIFT and use this button to enable/disable Midi Clock synchronization. When enabled, the TR sequence will start/stop playing following the playing status of the Master Deck of VirtualDJ."

It's from the VDJ Roland 808 manual:
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808/layout/sampler.html

I actually did that. And just didn't mention it...

It doesn't line up the downbeats/grids... only copies the bpm... and follows the changes if the pitch-slider is moved up or down.

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 12:56 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes, all the cases you mentioned above are valid. Unfortunately VirtualDJ doesnt have a "Master" BPM /Clock for the decks to follow. You cant sync decks to Sampler either (vice versa is possible of course).
So, yes, you may find some things differently implemented and working compared to Serato, but keep in mind that this unit (among others) is designed to work with a specific software and not all software offer the same functionality. I could say that the VirtualDJ 808 integration is about 95% close to what the bundle software offers and we had to implement several things too in order to get to that %number ;)

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 2:40 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Hey Thanks bro, I might have to pick one up and just give it a hands on and see if I like it or not with VDJ.

If 2 decks are enough for you, the 505 is good travel size and/or not too big to be in between 2 Turntables.
It also is NOT mirror-layout anymore (808 is).
I'm guessing the jogwheels are a bit bigger (but not 100% sure).

There's just a bit of features taken away from the 808.

As for me... (mentioned before) it's the bigger brother that is about the size of SZ that I am waiting to come out... another year or so, wishful thinking.

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 6:49 pm
djdad wrote :
Yes, all the cases you mentioned above are valid. Unfortunately VirtualDJ doesnt have a "Master" BPM /Clock for the decks to follow. You cant sync decks to Sampler either (vice versa is possible of course).
So, yes, you may find some things differently implemented and working compared to Serato, but keep in mind that this unit (among others) is designed to work with a specific software and not all software offer the same functionality. I could say that the VirtualDJ 808 integration is about 95% close to what the bundle software offers and we had to implement several things too in order to get to that %number ;)

Thanks for confirming the information, DJDad!
Your effort to make this work as close as possible with VDJ from it's original functions with SDJ is really appreciated.
And as mentioned, new owners just need to get used to it if they want to use it with VDJ.

Quoting myself...
"If you're planning to buy this unit and use it with VDJ, don't even use it with SDJ and get used to it with VDJ right away to avoid confusion."

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 6:53 pm
938MyDJ wrote :
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :

If 2 decks are enough for you, the 505 is good travel size and/or not too big to be in between 2 Turntables.
It also is NOT mirror-layout anymore (808 is).
I'm guessing the jogwheels are a bit bigger (but not 100% sure).

There's just a bit of features taken away from the 808.

As for me... (mentioned before) it's the bigger brother that is about the size of SZ that I am waiting to come out... another year or so, wishful thinking.

Yeah the 505 is probably my next controller. I'm gonna sell my Denon MC 4000 and Mixdeck Quad.

Mensajes Thu 31 Aug 17 @ 7:46 pm
So is anybody actually using this and worked out all the bells and whistles with VDJ

Mensajes Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 2:24 pm

Mensajes Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 7:33 pm
yes that will help i am sure but is anyone on VDJ8 using it

Mensajes Thu 09 Nov 17 @ 12:35 am
938MyDJ wrote :
From the initial test that I did, I could tell right away that the MIDI/SYNC integration of the TR-S is totally different in SDJ than VDJ.
The MASTER/SLAVE is what makes the difference.

Case 1:
In SDJ, you have the choice which should be the master after opening the program.
Load a track, press SYNC of that Deck it follows the BPM on the 808... means the 808 is the master. (Cannot be done in VDJ*)
If you press SYNC of the TR-S after loading a track, it follows the BPM of the Deck...means the Deck is the master (Can be done in VDJ)

Case 2:
While playing together, if the TR-S and the Deck went out of Sync, pressing Sync on either won't line the beats back
(SDJ will instantly line up the grids whether you press the Sync on the Deck or the TR-S)

Case 3:
While TR-S and the Deck play in Sync perfectly, changing the BPM from the TR-S pitch-knob won't make the BPM on the Deck to follow.
(In SDJ, it is possible to leave the pitch fader of the Decks @ 0 (center), press Sync, and use the TR-S pitch-knob to either slow-down or speed-up)

Summary:

The devices that will be connected to the USB and MIDI ports of the 808 will sync with the TR-S on both programs.

If you're planning to buy this unit and use it with VDJ, don't even use it with SDJ and get used to it with VDJ right away to avoid confusion.

*Note: I didn't read the instruction/manual of the device with VDJ. I just tried the common functions in SDJ to see the similarities and the differences. There might be ways to do the ones I thought are "not doable" but definitely not the same controls in SDJ.

This test was just about how the TR-S integrates with the Decks.
If there are other functions you want me to test for you in particular, please let me know of the specific function.

Cheers!

Will ther be a update that will let us add effects to the TR-S like in SDJ

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 18 @ 4:12 am

Mensajes Mon 16 Jul 18 @ 9:46 am
I have been looking at getting the 808. Is it easy to adapt vdi to all the controls on the 808 for the drum kit etc?

Mensajes Tue 31 Jul 18 @ 9:51 pm
Take a look here' Maybe this will help you in your search.

Mensajes Wed 01 Aug 18 @ 6:36 am
poohbear wrote :
I have been looking at getting the 808. Is it easy to adapt vdi to all the controls on the 808 for the drum kit etc?

The upper TRS section of the DJ-808 can be mapped to whatever VDJ actions you want, but not the 16 multi-color plastic buttons that show/control the TRS pattern. Those are working in hardware mode and cannot be mapped.

Mensajes Thu 02 Aug 18 @ 2:51 am
Can you help with some mapping

Mensajes Thu 02 Aug 18 @ 2:57 am
I would like to map the samples (Best Loop One and Two) to the roland DJ 808 TR can it be done? I think it has 64 in loop 1 and 64 in loop 2. If so can you show me how so I can trigger them without using the pads? Just the TR buttons

Mensajes Thu 02 Aug 18 @ 3:06 am
95%