Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: RCA outputs while Djing in both large and small sound systems...what's really the best way to connect?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I love my Pioneer with RCA outputs for portability and affordability, but understand that my DDJ-SB2 is not a pro controller. I even have a more pro controller with XLR outputs, but don't like it as much and always end up grabbing my DDJ-SB. I use that thing like crazy because it's so light and easy to use. I DJ both large and small events and sometimes connect to a very large sound system, ie: conferences with a few hundred people, and I just plug into their setup. Typically what I do since I also use a microphone and like to EQ it and have more control over the mic sound, is I plug in to a Yamaha mixer, use RCA to 1/4 inch cables to connect the DDJ into the mixer, then use XLR cables to connect my mixer to whatever system I'm plugging into, or into my powered speakers if I'm on my own.

Occasionally, I have used a DI box in certain clubs, but others don't always ask for it. I have never noticed a difference in sound quality.

My quesiton is: even if I upgrade to another Pioneer which will have RCA and 1/4 inch (I believe) outputs but still no XLR, what is truly the best way to hook up a non-XLR equipped controller to both a small mobile setup with 2 speakers and also to a club sound system or most commonly in my case, to a production company's sound system for conferences? I understand that you need a balanced output, but isn't that what the mixer is doing with its XLR outputs? Why the DI box if I have XLR outputs from my mixer? I hear tons of mixed messages and advice online and between audio techs and would love to hear anyone's opinion. What I'm using now has not failed me in sound quality so far. I'd have gotten a more pro Pioneer controller by now but I always use the mixer anyway to EQ the microphone settings, as I have found that the mic settings on controllers don't give you much to work with on mic sound settings, so why spend so much extra on a controller with XLR outs when you will be running your mics or other gear through the mixer anyway?

Mensajes Fri 17 Feb 17 @ 4:43 am
It seems you are confused.

RCA plugs are UNBALANCED
XLR and TRS plugs are BALANCED

A DI box is usually used to "convert" Unbalanced signal to Balanced

So, for your first question:
I don't know any modern mixer that offers 1/4 inch outputs that are unblanced (TS). All mixers that I know off and have 1/4 inch output plugs are TRS which is balanced.

For your second question:

A DI box can do more than just "convert" signal from unbalanced to balanced.
Often DI boxes are used in order to plug your mixer (which is a line level instrument) on MIC inputs of a desk mixing console.
If you need to connect on a mixing console which is not on a close distance then you have to use DI boxes. Unbalanced signal cannot travel far without being prune to external noise. Also Mixing consoles usually don't accept balanced line level signals.

I hope this info clears up your confusion a little bit.

Mensajes Fri 17 Feb 17 @ 12:26 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)