Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Tracking your progress methods.

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi, I'm curious about how people go about tracking what works and what doesn't work.

Obviously all of us have a large library of music and other threads speak on various ways of organising files and that's fine. What I'm asking about, as someone just starting out I guess, is how people record how they mix the tracks together. VDJ keeps a track of the tracks played and the order they were played in which is crucial obviously for when I re-listen to my sessions, but I want some sort of organised method of recording the mixes that worked, what effects sounded good on which track etc.

Now before someone says "just write it down" I have been. Of course, there are no doubt plenty of programs also, that I can keep organised notes in. But what did you do when you first started? What are you doing now? What did you use to do but don't anymore?

I guess I just have the kind of mind that likes really studying how things slot together. I feel like it may help me now in the early stages, but I haven`t hit on something really satisfying.

Thanks.

Mensajes Tue 25 Apr 17 @ 5:57 am
To be honest I think you eventually get to a point where you listen to the track playing, then you listen on the PFL to the incoming track and you can just tell what is going to work well.

That said, when i come across a track that mixes really well into another one, I will write in the comments field of the tag something like "mixes well into whatever"

Mensajes Tue 25 Apr 17 @ 7:44 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Don't try to analyse and structure your mixes. It can get boring if you just stick to your notes and everytime play track B after track A with effect C.
Sometimes a song combination works, and sometimes the same combination does not work. It's depending on the people...

Don't try to force something. Just let it happen.
As you practice and get a bit of experience things will just fall together.

Mensajes Tue 25 Apr 17 @ 8:14 am
Andy7689 wrote :
... a track that mixes really well into another one, I will write in the comments field of the tag ...

So I do. And the best: if you search for the first song you get a reminder, what song COULD follow.

My advise:
Try to find some good combinations with the compatible filter folder.
Tag and listen to music everyday. Practice, practice and ... practice ;o)

Mensajes Tue 25 Apr 17 @ 5:32 pm
To make notes of this sort in the comments section of a track is a gimme. Self-evident even. But space there is limited and I don't particularly want endless notes clogging up the space there. Especially as I assume that some of it is going to be obsolete some day and I'll have to edit it out again.

I guess what I'm going to take away from this is that other people don't seem to be going about this in quite the same way. This is a method (in one form or another) that I've managed to adapt to most anything else I've studied with success. In both creative and academic areas. I just have to get my rhythm.

Mensajes Tue 25 Apr 17 @ 7:41 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)