Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Change the default filter so it sounds more like a Pioneer DJM mixer

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi all,

I used to work with a CDJs/ DJM setup until I discovered the versatility, flexibility and portability of digital DJing with Virtual DJ and a controller. I'm hooked and will never go back. However, the default low pass and high pass filter in Virtual DJ doesn't sound as good to me as the filter I'm used to on a Pioneer DJM mixer. Is there any way to change the default filter for a different one that sounds the same as, or similar to the filter on a DJM mixer?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help :-)

Mensajes Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 10:42 am
robstout wrote :
Hi all,

I used to work with a CDJs/ DJM setup until I discovered the versatility, flexibility and portability of digital DJing with Virtual DJ and a controller. I'm hooked and will never go back. However, the default low pass and high pass filter in Virtual DJ doesn't sound as good to me as the filter I'm used to on a Pioneer DJM mixer. Is there any way to change the default filter for a different one that sounds the same as, or similar to the filter on a DJM mixer?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help :-)

I don't know exactly how a DJM mixer filter sounds, so this is more general and for VDJ8 (but you can probably do some of the same stuff in v7)

The filter has a few settings you can try to look at.

The simplest one is this:

If you use a controller with filter knob - or any other knob or slider - you can remap the filter which gives you more options
For instance you can change how much a parameter adjust the filter by using param_multiply and param_add
Like this example:
param_multiply 0.8 & param_add 0.1 & filter

You can also add how much you want like this:
filter & filter_resonance 10%

You can also download another VDJ filter, and map and use that instead.
Like this one which has more settings:

https://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index.html?category=effects&search=filter+sbdj

Finally VDJ supports .vst effects, so if you can find a .vst filter you like better, you can include that instead
Here is an example on how to include .vst effects:

Mensajes Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 10:58 am
Hi Klausmogensen,

Thanks a lot for your quick and very informative reply. It definitely helps me to get close to where I want to be. I hope I can return the favor somehow someday :-)

I actually found a 'DJM-filter' DLL file from the VST4FREE site, downloaded it and put it in the VDJ SoundEffect folder (the filename being 'DJMFilter_x64.dll').

However, the only trick that is now remaining is to correctly remap the Filter knobs on my controller so that the new effect is used. The current VDJ script for the filter knob of deck 1 is:

page "sampler" ? deck left sampler volume : page "effects" ? show_pluginpage "Sound Effects" ? deck left effect active ? deck left effect slider 1 : deck right effect active ? deck right effect slider 1 : effect slider 1 : show_pluginpage "Video Effects" ? video_fx_slider 1 : show_pluginpage "Video Transitions" ? video_transition_slider 1 : nothing : page "record" ? nothing : var '$shift' ? deck left key : param_smaller 45% ? set '$filterL' 1 & deck left filter : param_greater 55% ? set '$filterL' 1 & deck left filter : set '$filterL' 0 & deck left filter

In this script, as complicated as it looks to me, I guess I should be looking for a reference to the DLL file that is being used as the default sound effect. My best and only guess was '$filterL', so I replaced the three instances of '$filterL' for 'DJMFilter_x64', like this:

page "sampler" ? deck left sampler volume : page "effects" ? show_pluginpage "Sound Effects" ? deck left effect active ? deck left effect slider 1 : deck right effect active ? deck right effect slider 1 : effect slider 1 : show_pluginpage "Video Effects" ? video_fx_slider 1 : show_pluginpage "Video Transitions" ? video_transition_slider 1 : nothing : page "record" ? nothing : var '$shift' ? deck left key : param_smaller 45% ? set 'DJMFilter_x64' 1 & deck left filter : param_greater 55% ? set 'DJMFilter_x64' 1 & deck left filter : set 'DJMFilter_x64' 0 & deck left filter

But when I use the filter knob, the filter effect still sounds exactly the same, as if I have not changed anything. What am I doing wrong?

I am not dead set on using this particular effect and am willing to try any other filter effects that sound similar, but I guess that's not the issue here.

Sorry if I come accross as a noob with this. I try to be a good DJ and knowledgeable VDJ user, but this is definitely programming territory that I've never entered before.

Mensajes Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 1:07 pm
robstout wrote :
Sorry if I come accross as a noob with this. I try to be a good DJ and knowledgeable VDJ user, but this is definitely programming territory that I've never entered before.

Very few VDJ users have, so regarding VDJ Scripts there are no noob questions IMO
Either that or almost all of us are noobs, including me :-)

I think it can be simpler than your example, eventhoug the last part is pretty close

First try getting the 32-bit version at the same page you got the 64-bit.
That should be more compatible with VDJ
Simply drop the .ddl file in \Documents\VirtualDJ\Plugins\SoundEffect

Then (after a VDJ restart) it's ready to use as a regular effect, with one important knob
You can select it in an effect slot, turn it on, and turn the button.
Then everything should work,
But of course you are then using an effect slot for it, and not your filter knob on your controller + you have to turn it on and off

So another option is to map the effect knob to the filter knob on your controller
That is simply done by changing the controllers Filter mapping to:
effect "DJMFilter" slider 1

But that wont turn it off at the 12 o'clock position, and on at all other positions
To do that you can add something that looks at the current slider setting, and then turn it on and off, while still controlling the actual knob
There are probably more ways than one of doing this, but one option could be:

param_greater 52% ? effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" active on : param_smaller 48% ? effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" active on : effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" active off

This is pretty close to the last part of your example
NB: You should copy out and keep the rest of your current scripts somewhere, so you can add that later, for having the filter knob do other things in other situations (if you need that)

Then it should work without using the current effect slot just by turning the filter knob on your controller
If you then choose the effect in the current effect slot, you can visually follow what it does

As a test you can also map it to a custom button in VDJ.
If you haven't enabled those, you get them by choosing them in the Layout dropdown on the top of the skin
Then you get something like this (this is starting after the effect was downloaded, and put in the sound effect folder)

First the video shows it as normal effect use
Then it turns on the custom buttons
Then it maps the knob and tests the mapping
Finally it show that it still works without the effect being the currently selected one

I hope all this makes sense :-)

Mensajes Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 2:01 pm
Hi klausmogensen,

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for taking the time to give me this possible solution. It's been very busy the past week, and I haven't had time to try your suggested solution yet. I'll try it out a.s.a.p. and will let you know whether it works :-)

Mensajes Wed 30 Aug 17 @ 2:35 am
Hi Klausmogensen,

It's been a while since you helped me with my Filter question, for which I thank you. I finally came around to testing your suggested solution of mapping the filter knobs on my controller with the script you suggested:

param_greater 52% ? effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" active on : param_smaller 48% ? effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" active on : effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" active off

It works almost perfect. The only thing is that with this script, using either filter knob, the filter is always activated on the current selected deck rather than the left deck when the left knob is used or the right deck when the right knob is used. So the only adjustment that I'm looking for is something in the script that tells VDJ to activate the filter on the left deck if the left filter knob is used, and on the right deck if the right filter knob is used, and ignore whichever deck is selected. To achieve this, I've tried to add 'deck 1' or 'left deck' to the script like this:

param_greater 52% ? effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" deck 1 active on : param_smaller 48% ? effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" deck 1 active on : effect "DJMFilter" slider 1 & effect "DJMFilter" deck 1 active off

But this does not seem to be the right syntax as the knob stops working altogether after making this adjustment. Do you happen to know which tweak needs to be added to achieve the desired outcome?

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 3:27 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
And which controller is that ?

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 4:23 am

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 11:33 am
Hi Babis,

My controller is a Denon MC6000Mk2.

Mensajes Wed 28 Feb 18 @ 4:22 am
Upgrade to VDJ8 and use the colorfx_slider. Klaus has a video for that too.

Mensajes Wed 28 Feb 18 @ 6:43 am
So does anyone know whether the script tweak is possible?

Mensajes Tue 06 Mar 18 @ 2:06 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)