Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: MCX8000 questions

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I just received a used MCX8000 from Guitar Center and I'm trying to decide if I should keep or return it.

I'm pretty happy with it, but there are some issues. Firstly, it was not packaged well for shipping at all. It was in a giant box with a single layer of bubble wrap underneath (not wrapped) and 18 inches of loose packing on top. The box arrived on its side. Basically all of the knobs need to be replaced on the mixer section. One is missing and the ones that are there just have issues. Most of them are 90 degrees off, and many were clearly jammed on (the plastic is broken inside). Most of the fader knobs are wobbly and occasionally come off when I move them and a couple of the faders are slightly bent. The power supply that came with it is the correct voltage, but the physical plug is not quite right, so I'm pretty sure it will cause physical damage to the plug with long-term use. Otherwise it seems to be in good physical condition with few scuffs or scratches.

My main concern is that in my testing the device seems to stop receiving input from VDJ after a period of time. I've only had it for a couple days, but this seems consistent if I have it running for 30+ minutes or so. The screens no longer update with any information (but still switch between the waveform view and browser view when I use the select/load knob), and none of the other lights on the device update. Any buttons I press still send the correct MIDI commands to VDJ, the device just stops giving any feedback. When this happens, I can still load up MP3s from a USB drive and the screen will work fine for that, which makes me thing it may be a software or MIDI issue?

I'm aware that there has been talk about freezing issues with this device, but I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is the same thing. I don't know that it's "freezing" so much as just not getting any information back from my computer anymore. I did make sure to update to the latest version of VDJ and downloaded the most recent drivers/firmware from denon.

If it's a software issue that's fixable I'd like to keep it if I can find some replacement knobs. If it's a hardware issue because it is a used unit (or something that they all suffer from) then I'll need to take advantage of my return period and find something else instead.

I'm coming from an original Numark Mixdeck (with the 30 pin ipod dock) that wasn't suiting my needs anymore. Things that drew me to the MCX8000:
- two Mic inputs
- XLR out for both Master and Booth
- has a pad section (most controllers seem to have this now)
- can play files off a USB drive in case my laptop explodes
- I got a good deal on a used one... probably couldn't afford it new at the moment
- it looks really pretty :)

I appreciate your collective wisdom and experience, thanks in advance for any help or insight!

Mensajes Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 5:46 pm
The freezing issue is related to standalone mode only and doesn't seem to affect all the units.

I have had my one since June and had zero issues at all (apart from Engine 1.5 being a complete POS)

I have done 5 hour plus gigs with VDJ and it never misses a beat. First thing you can do is to check the latency in the Asio control panel. Normally the default works fine but if you have a slower machine then the number may need increased. If you run with the latency too low it will run out of buffer and cause the software to freeze. The other thing to try is another USB cable.

The MCX8000 is the perfect companion for VDJ .... sorry to hear you are having issues.

Mensajes Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 6:00 pm
So it sounds like my issue is unrelated to the stand-alone mode freezing. I tried changing the latency settings a bit, but the audio continues to work perfectly (at any setting), the device just doesn't give any visual feedback. I'll definitely try another USB cable and see if that makes a difference.

Power cycling the MCX8000 fixes the problem as soon as it comes back on, but it seems that the issue returns sooner the second time. Rebooting my laptop doesn't seem to make any difference.

Good thing I'm testing at home instead of bringing it straight to a gig ;)

Thanks for your help! I'll try to keep messing around with it.

Mensajes Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 6:34 pm
If none of those things sort it then it seems like a hardware fault. Could be why the original owner moved it on.

Irrespective of that it should still be under warranty so hopefully you get a successful outcome.

Mensajes Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 6:41 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
If none of those things sort it then it seems like a hardware fault.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the suggestion on the warranty... it should be covered even though I bought it used, right? I'll definitely look into that. If the warranty doesn't work out, I should at least be able to get a refund from Guitar Center.

Mensajes Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 6:48 pm
Cool. Let us know how you get on.

Honestly, the combination of MCX8000 and VDJ is one of the best.

Mensajes Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 7:33 pm
I wanted to update you on what I've found. Using a new USB cable made no difference. I tried looking at the USB communication using USBPcap and Wireshark hoping to see if communication stopped working one way after a period of time, but nothing looked obviously wrong with it. I borrowed another laptop, connected the MCX8000, and put a song on loop overnight... 9 hours later it's still fine. So I guess the issue was with my laptop. I'm still not sure exactly why since I've used VDJ for hours on end with no problems whatsoever, but there you go.

I may still end up returning the unit though. In my continued testing, I've found a button that doesn't quite click, and noticed that the screws on the front panel are mismatched and one is loose, indicating that they had been replaced and someone felt it necessary to open it up. The cost (and time) it will take to replace all the knobs is not insignificant and I'm worried about finding more problems. I've grown to love the MCX8000, but I just don't know if I can trust this particular used unit.

Thanks again for the help!

Mensajes Tue 12 Sep 17 @ 2:30 pm
I wish I could figure out the exact problem, but I didn't want to leave anyone in the dark ( https://xkcd.com/979/ ) :)

Mensajes Tue 12 Sep 17 @ 3:02 pm
Just wanted to say that I've gotten a new unit and have no such problems, even with the same laptop. Everything is great now :)

Mensajes Wed 11 Oct 17 @ 11:52 pm
Anyone out there with some insight on Denon Engine 1.5.2?

Had the MCX8000 for around a month and just like many previous statements it works brilliantly with VDJ. I just love the combo.

My only issue is that one of the reasons for going with the MCX8000 was so that I could use the standalone (Denon Engine) functionality. Great for many reasons.

But the Denon Engine software v1.5.2 simply will not work, Denon tech support is worthless, Denon HQ do not answer.

I have had to prepare a separate set of directories on the primary SSD that runs the OS and Denon Engine. Used fre:ac to ensure all files are sampled at 44.1HKz and standardised all bit rates to FBR 320. No extraneous files just the MP3s.

But .... Denon engine just sits there hanging .....

Any ideas - I know this is not really virtual DJ but .....

Mensajes Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 7:59 am
I would bet that the Denon forum would be a better place to look for answers.

Mensajes Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 8:03 am
Engine 1.5.2 simply does not work. Denon are replacing it with Prime but no ETA.

Try scanning your files in small batches of perhaps 50 at a time. Random tracks will freeze it for no reason so you need to keep an eye on what is scanning so you can remove the offending track when you run it again.

Took me 4 whole days to build a DB of sorts but it's an impossible task.

How Denon could put this out with a top of the range controller beats me. All you get from them is to post problems on the forum (which have been posted hundreds of times before). If you hassle them your comments get deleted and support ignore your emails.

Good luck.

Mensajes Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 8:54 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)