Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Basic Laptop set up help

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi all.

I used to DJ back in the 80's using turntable and cd's in the early 90's.

I now want to be able to DJ just parties that my wife and I have or friends parties. I want to just use digital music (mp3's) and a laptop. What is the set up for this? I have a new laptop with virtual DJ loaded and all the music on the hard drive. How do I get the sound from the computer out to the speakers? I have an older analogue mixer that still works, an amp and and speakers. Do I use the headphone out jack on the computer to RCA input on the mixer? (then of course the main line out on the mixer on to the amp and finally out to the speakers) If this is correct, then how can I cue songs if the headphone out line is being used to provide the sound for the speakers as described above?

I appreciate any help, but PLEASE be specific.

Mensajes Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 4:54 am
A lot depends on which version of virtual dj you have !

You take take the headphone output and feed it into your mixer and just use the on screen controls to mix the output.

Next step up is to get a splitter cable, this will send one deck out of the right channel and the other down the left

The quality will be limited by the headphone circuitry in the laptop which varies a lot by type of laptop.

You could purchase an external usb sound card , which will be better quality and give you two stereo channels out to send to your mixer.

Or you could purchase a budget controller with built in sound card, i started with a mix track pro, which was supplied with vdj le, a cut down version , but supported all the features of the controller.

I decide to buy the full version of vdj, which allows me to use it in any more with any type of controller , to be honest its the best thing i ever did, i now have several controllers i can use it with, and all the features are available to me.

I like you was old school and started 30 years ago with traditional turntables, buying the full version had allowed me the freedom to try different controllers , features and effects that I may have passed by with the le edition.

Mensajes Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 5:59 am
Thank you for the response. Regarding the version of virtual DJ, I am using the free version. I don't anticipate doing this professionally anymore, just spinning for the occasional house party for our family. I can mix pretty well for my needs using just the computer--not mixing anything hard core at all.

So if I decided to buy just a separate sound card for now, what would that look like as far as set-up? Would I still use or need the headphone jack at all on the computer or just use the sound card plugged into USB for both the headphone and speaker out.

Any suggestions on soundcards or a controller that would have a souncard? Would like to stay under about $200 or $250 to get this up an running. Thanks

Mensajes Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 12:27 pm
The Drake wrote :
Thank you for the response. Regarding the version of virtual DJ, I am using the free version. I don't anticipate doing this professionally anymore, just spinning for the occasional house party for our family. I can mix pretty well for my needs using just the computer--not mixing anything hard core at all.

So if I decided to buy just a separate sound card for now, what would that look like as far as set-up? Would I still use or need the headphone jack at all on the computer or just use the sound card plugged into USB for both the headphone and speaker out.

Any suggestions on soundcards or a controller that would have a souncard? Would like to stay under about $200 or $250 to get this up an running. Thanks

For that purpose I would suggest a Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 mk2
It's natively supported in VDJ - plug n' play after a quick NI driver install
Both you headphones and your master out will come from the soundcard - it has 2 stereo outs (and not much else)
It should be less than $100

Mensajes Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 12:53 pm

Mensajes Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 2:38 pm
JasEvinHome userMember since 2018
Can you please share your laptop specs? Thank you!

Mensajes Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 5:45 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)