Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Does the paid version have better reverb? - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Scoox wrote :
From your replies I conclude VDJ cannot do reverb tails while the track continues to play, unless a third-party VST host (e.g. MUX or Image-Line Minihost Modular). The trick is to route the FX in parallel to the dry signal. I'll try those and see if it works well.

To be clear, the native reverb can do that, if the 'Trailing Stop' option inside the FX gui is enabled (and that is enabled by default)

Mensajes Sat 01 Dec 18 @ 11:50 am
ScooxHome userMember since 2018
@Adion OK, that's true but the title of this thread implies that I was looking for a better reverb effect. The native reverb sounds decent but has a max decay time of about 3 seconds, which is too short, and personally I think combining decay time and wet into one single "strenght" knob is a disaster. Most of the free reverb plugins I've tried sound great but can't do revert tails when used in VDJ. These plugins were designed to be used in a DAW where routing audio signals is a trivial matter, and so the plugin devs don't bother to equip the plugin with routing capabilities internally as these would be redundant. In short, the reverb tail thing in a DAW is pretty easy to do with literally *any* reverb plugin. Not so in VDJ with its fixed signal path.

Likewise, the native echo effect in VDJ has the same problems as the reverb effect. Delay feedback, wet/dry and "lock" all combined into a single knob, and the "trailing stop" button as an afterthought.

BTW there are two bugs with the reverb effect "trailing stop" button.

Bug 1: The reverb tail is cut off abruptly, rather than fading out gradually to the point where it's inaudible.

Bug 2: (using Deck 1 for example's sake)

1. Select reverb effect, ensure it's inactive for the time being
2. Click "+" button to show all reverb controls
3. Disable "trailing stop" and "wet only" (don't think this step matters...)
4. Turn all reverb controls to 100%
5. Press Play on deck
6. Activate reverb effect, let the deck play for a few seconds
7. Deactivate reverb effect
8. Stop deck (important!!)
9. Wait 30 seconds. Maybe go make a cup of tea. Come back.
10. Enable reverb effect again (the deck is still stopped)

Expected result: Enabling the reverb produces no sound output since the deck had been stopped for 30 seconds—no input to the reverb should produce no output.

Actual result: The reverb effect outputs a loud "ghost" reverb tail.

Mensajes Sat 01 Dec 18 @ 3:26 pm
@groovindj Yes, I meant "there's absolutely no hint" :p

Mensajes Sat 01 Dec 18 @ 3:33 pm
Hmmm......so when is that actually ever going to happen in practice, when the DJ is playing?

Stopping the music and having 30 seconds of silence, then turning the reverb on again, without any music playing. IMO it's never going to occur when the DJ is using the software in a normal manner.

Mensajes Sat 01 Dec 18 @ 3:34 pm
Honestly, I'm amazed you don't get my point. 30 seconds is a random amount of time. 2 seconds will cause the problem to happen just the same. In my example I used 30 seconds to point to the fact that the problem doesn't get any better even after a long time.

So when could this "problem" be a problem? Off the top of my head, say you want to engage reverb before your next track starts playing. You are going to get that nice big loud burst of reverb.

The point is, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't likely to be a problem: it is a consistently reproducible issue and complacency is certainly not the solution. The issue needs to be acknowledged and, eventually, fixed.

Mensajes Sun 02 Dec 18 @ 3:01 am

Mensajes Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 2:52 am

Mensajes Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 12:28 am
Thanks for posting the pic :)

Mensajes Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 2:19 am
If you want to use third party (VST) effects and still have trails e.t.c. just change fxProcessing setting to post-fader

Mensajes Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 7:30 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
you could have posted it if you wrapped it in [ i m g ] tags

Mensajes Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 8:24 am
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
He wants something like a ping-pong delay that keeps going far enough to cover a lot of bars, but built-in, smooth and with full controls and on the deck versus the master.

I'm using PongDelay 2 in my DAW and its tail can go forever you want it to and it's buttery smooth with presets, settings and controls, however, it doesn't give the presets option settings when used in VDJ8. I've tried both the 32 and 64bit versions, but it's still useful when using it with fxProcessing setting set to post-fader. You can ignore the presets and dial in the rate, pan width, feedback, dry/wet and more to your liking.

I like using this on my sound effects and lasers, drops and more, but cool to use mid-song on a vocal, let it do its tail, then bring the channel back into the mix on beat to continue the phrase, or even at the end of a transition.

Mensajes Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 10:25 pm
Guys, post-fader FX cannot solve this problem, because what I want the FX tail to play over the track which is also playing. My proposed signal routing (see diagram) is more versatile.

I've added a second switch to my diagram for completeness, so that, when needed, the FX tail can be interrupted abruptly as well.

(BTW [img] tags are not working for me)

Even if these features were added, is there a way to load third-party VSTs with a certain preset pre-loded? Because ATM all VSTs load with their factory default preset, not the one I'd like, which I need to load manually on each of the four decks every time I fire up VDJ. If I am using, say, 5 third-party VST, that's 20 presets loaded manually every time. That's one reason I prefer built-in FX. I'd be much happier if VDJ could just have a buttery smooth built-in reverb.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 2:43 am
Going mad—image didn't display initially, now it displays. Happy.

moderator because I added
[img][/img]

tags

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 9:03 am
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
That's like a parallel effect or similar to a parallel compression.

Parallel compression, also known as New York compression, is a dynamic range compression technique used in sound recording and mixing. Parallel compression, a form of upward compression, is achieved by mixing an unprocessed 'dry', or lightly compressed signal with a heavily compressed version of the same signal.

In some VSTs, it's not just a dry/mix (meaning how much you want of the effect, but it actually really mixes in both signals, the dry and how much of the wet signal together). It'll make the signal louder, but I guess that would be the added effect.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 9:17 am
Yes, it's parallel processing indeed, and this is how it works in Traktor. The results are very good because you can blend FX more subtly rather than fully on/off. More importantly, you can cut off the input to the FX while so it processes the tail while the source material continues to play via the parallel path. That's how you get the tail and the source track to play alongside each other. VST reverb plugins don't have this kind of signal routing built in because the routing is usually handled by the DAW, not the plugin; likewise, VDJ should, ideally, be able to take care of such basic signal routing.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 10:14 am
It can, clone out to another deck and cross link the up faders

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 11:07 am
@locodog too many steps required for something that should be standard functionality IMO, that would obviously work BUT the workflow ain't practical.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 12:22 pm
Well you obviously don't need it that bad then.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 1:07 pm
@locodog I do, actually, this is in fact the only thing keeping me from abandoning Traktor. Traktor has very nice FX, specifically reverb and echo, and I use these on all my mixes. Ultimately the sound coming out of the speakers is the only ting that matters to the crowd, and Traktor gives me the sound, but it doesn't give me the workflow I want, which VDJ does.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 1:22 pm
Hmmm, I don't recall ever doing a gig (in many decades) where someone in the crowd has complained that my FX are not like Traktor's...

Seriously, nobody cares except you. The crowd just want to dance and have a good time.

They don't care what software you use, whether the FX have got a wet/dry knob, or anything other than you're playing a track they like.

Mensajes Wed 11 Sep 19 @ 4:17 pm
75%