Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: no VESA mount for iMac 17" and 20"?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I am already planning my switch to a Mac and have a couple of questions that I'm sure some of the Mac fanatics would be happy to answer ;)

1) I would like to be able to use an iMac. The 17" and 20" are not VESA compatible, but the 24" is. I would like to mount the iMac to the inside of the top lid of a case. For this, VESA compatibility is not really necessary, but I would haev to be able to remove the stand and mount it somehow. Any ideas for doing this without permanently modifying the case of the iMac? Google didn't give me anything useful.

2) Anyone know of any specs on the amount of physical shock each of the iMac models can withstand? I will of course provide some kind of shock absorption, but want to be sure that my plans are realistic.

3) How is the audio quality of the internal sound card on the iMacs? Everything is crammed together in that little case, so I can't imagine that the quality would be much better than that of the sound card of a leptop (I.E. usable but not intended for professional use.) Don't see any info on special EMI shielding, etc.

Mensajes Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 5:40 pm
According to specs on Apple's site, the 17 and 20 do not have VESA mount capability. Or more specifically, the VESA mount adapter only works on the 24 inch. This means one of two things:

Vesa mount capability is built in to the 17 and 20, no need for adapter

or

Vesa mount capability is not possible with the 17 and 20.

Mensajes Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 8:01 pm
The 17" and 20" Core 2 Duo iMacs are not VESA compliant.

Here's a good article that explains this in detail:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_cd/imac-intel-vesa-wall-mounting.html

But lucky owners (or soon to be owners) of the 24" HD iMac (right, anewsome?) do have VESA mount compatability... AND and upgradeable PCI-Express video graphics card that the 17" or 20" iMac do not have either. ;)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Mensajes Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 12:32 am
frd1963 wrote :
I am already planning my switch to a Mac and have a couple of questions that I'm sure some of the Mac fanatics would be happy to answer ;)

Loyalists, NOT fanatics! =P

Mac users are just LOYAL to something that works as it should. ;)

Remember though, the most loyal Mac users are the most recent windows switchers. =)

frd1963 wrote :
1) I would like to be able to use an iMac. The 17" and 20" are not VESA compatible, but the 24" is. I would like to mount the iMac to the inside of the top lid of a case. For this, VESA compatibility is not really necessary, but I would haev to be able to remove the stand and mount it somehow. Any ideas for doing this without permanently modifying the case of the iMac? Google didn't give me anything useful.

I had a client who bought several 17" iMacs for a tradeshow and was able to do this, but she had her engineers figure it out.

I don't know the particulars of how they did it though.

Just grab a jigsaw and start cutting the stand off at the stem! =P

frd1963 wrote :
2) Anyone know of any specs on the amount of physical shock each of the iMac models can withstand? I will of course provide some kind of shock absorption, but want to be sure that my plans are realistic.

I don't off hand, nor do I know where to look for that, but I'll ask around among some Apple techs who might and get back to you.

frd1963 wrote :
3) How is the audio quality of the internal sound card on the iMacs? Everything is crammed together in that little case, so I can't imagine that the quality would be much better than that of the sound card of a leptop (I.E. usable but not intended for professional use.) Don't see any info on special EMI shielding, etc.

Audio quality wise, the iMacs are a lot better than laptops (built in Harmon Kardon/JBL speakers), especially the 24" HD iMac which has 24 Watt power output, twice that of the lower 2 models.

Mensajes Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 12:51 am
frd1963 wrote :

this is where macs really shine. the soundcard quality of the regular old built in sound hardware in macs is far better than the builtin hardware on pc laptops. the audio on pc laptops is basically for casual audio use, listening to cds, playing games and such. you want to get quality audio in or out of your pc, you have to buy a quality sound card.

i was amazed at the quality of the built in audio hardware on mac. i can't say that about any built in audio on any pc i've ever had. you can actually do serious audio work with the built in audio on macs.

for example, i was bored on sunday so i grabbed my mac and started messing around in garage band (which is free by the way. windows gives you cool apps like notepad, mac users get garage band). anyway, messing around in garage band i made a drop for myself "you're in the mix with dj aaaaaa-swiffffttt!" multitracked it, added effects and a dope whistle intro. i did all this with the built in mic (incredible sound quality for a built in mic), and all the sounds and capability of garage band. the drop sounds like one of those made in the studio that you pay bucks for. and that's just one example ...

Mensajes Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 5:30 am
It's just like anewsome (A-Swift) says.

You can do more with a Mac out of the box than with windows pcs's that come with a bunch of junky, throw away trial/demo software where the funnest part of it is to uninstall it... which then de-stabilizes windows because of the lingering .dll files that gunk up your registry (LOL! A registry based OS in the 21st century!) and before you know it you've got a windows pc that takes 20 minutes to boot up and 2 seconds to crash.

windows pc's = Re-format. Re-install. Repeat.

Just check out the "Out Of The Box" commercial here:
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Here's some info on Garageband http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/ which is only one of the "iLife" suite of applications http://www.apple.com/ilife/ that comes on EVERY Mac. There is also no Mac Home, Mac Pro, or Mac Media Center "editions" of the OS. Mac OS X comes fully featured, stable, secure, and loaded with high quality, user friendly software on EVERY Mac.

I've often said, "any idiot can make something that should be easy difficult (like microsoft has proven) because everything is difficult to begin with. It takes intelligence to streamline and/or make something easy without sacrificing quality and innovation like Apple does.

Mensajes Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 11:07 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)