Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Tema: Itunes not Importing VDJ8 M3U files (Playlists)

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ProfLeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
In the past, when preparing for an event, I would organize and program my music by pulling from various folders.

1. I would create a playlist within VDJ and then using the COPY TO file command, I would place a copy of the playlist (resulting m3u) file on my desktop.
2. I would then open Itunes, go to FILE--->LIBRARY--->IMPORT.
3. Itunes would import the VDJ created m3u file as an itunes playlist, in the exact order of my VDJ playlist.
4. I could then synch this playlist to my Ipad, iphone. Or if needed, even burn backup CDs.

VDJ8 will no longer import the VDJ m3u playlist. I don't know which build that this began happening.

This was happening before the latest itunes update My current itunes is version 11.3

15 Inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display
• 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 768GB Flash Storage

Mensajes Tue 15 Jul 14 @ 8:08 am
James Ross helped to figured out a temporary work-around until the FIX is in. There was a lot of trial and error and back and forths but he was able to work some magic.

I haven't tried this on my mac yet but it did work on the pc. I can't imagine having to do this every time I need to import a playlist into itunes. BTW: Even before Jame's workaround and as I was narrowing in on the problem, I was able to export a playlist out of itunes and read it in VDJ. I was also able to read the m3u file that itunes could read, in media monkey. So the issue seems to be with the way the VDJ m3u file is referenced.

And this would have to be done with every COPY TO VDJ m3u that is intended for use in ITunes or even in Serato. Serato also won't read the VDJ 8 m3u in order to convert to Crates as it did easily in 7.4.

James Ross wrote:

You need to open the M3U in a basic text editor, e.g. Notepad

Might look like gibberish but there is a system to it.

Where it says: \Users\LeePMT\ It needs to say C:\Users\LeePMT\

Adding two characters at the start of each line: C:

Can either type it, or copy/paste

OR the clever method is a text editor that let's you do a "replace all"

Lee wrote: Okay, so on a Mac, I would do the comparable thing where instead of C: I think Macs refer to Volume, correct?

James wrote

Unfortunately I don't have experience of Macs

Something to explore is whether VDJ lets you choose any options to do with generating the M3U file.

This site feels like a good description about the contents of M3U files: http://schworak.com/blog/e39/m3u-play-list-specification/

I'm ousting this here in an effort to help expedite a permanent fix.

Thank you as always. You do great work.

Mensajes Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 11:54 pm
No luck with the Mac and having Itunes read the m3u files. I can still import older VDJ playlists into Itunes and Serato but VDJ8 m3u Playlists created after say, June 2014, will not open in itunes or Serato. Here's the text from the m3u file:

#EXTVDJ:<filesize>13097893</filesize>
/Desktop/Music/David Calzado y Su Charanga Habanera/El Charanguero Mayor/11 Popurrí de Antaño.m4a
#EXTVDJ:<filesize>8965780</filesize>
/Desktop/Music/Edgard Nevarez Y La Tropica/Back On the Block/07 Aprovechemos el Tiempo.m4a

Here is where the m3u file actually exists. /Users/DJProfessorLee/Documents

Mensajes Sat 19 Jul 14 @ 8:18 am
Up until June 1st, there abouts, I was able to Open Serato, Go to FILES in Serato and Open the VDJ Playlist Folder, select a playlist, drag it to the Crates column in Serato and Serato would create a crate with the exact songs in the exact order. Now, I can't do that. Now when I try, The VDJ8 Playlist will crash Serato. I tried creating a crate from an older than 6/1/2014 and it worked like it used to. Now my VDJ8 Playlist wont open in VDJ 7.4 either. in fact, no program will open vdj8 playlists. The waiting to hear something is the tough part.

Mensajes Thu 24 Jul 14 @ 9:35 pm
TIP: Until a permanent fix of the VDJ8 Playlist not reading properly in itunes on Macs, here's a proven workaround:

This workaround is based on the idea that the history file is also an m3u file but uses the actual date played as the file name instead of a user defined Playlist name. The trick is in creating a History BEFORE you actually perform at the event. Say what????

Allow me...

1. Create your playlist in VDJ8 as normal.
2. Go into OPTIONS --->BROWSER---> change HistoryDelay to 1 sec
3. Start Automix and let tracks play until played notice shows
4. Press ALT+SPACE bar to get the (default) ACTION mix_now_no_sycn and do this until all of the tracks in your playlist have played.
5, When done, go to your history folder and copy the m3u file
6. Paste this file on your desktop.
7. Right mouse click on the pasted file and open in itunes
8. BINGO! Now you can rename the data file and synch like before.

NOTE: Of course, if you don't want to baby sit at your lappy to do this, you can let VDJ run AUTO play on it's own and comeback to the process when ready. It took about 30 minutes to create a playlist that had about 7 hours of programing music. Of course, since you are using the Automix function, you can walk away and do other things as needed.

TIP: Don't do this at 11:45 at night unless you also change the OPTIONS-->BROWSER--> StartOfDayHour to something that makes sense like 0. Mine was set to 8am and so my first run did something on holy to the track order. Just a heads up to avoid doing this as the day changes. Not sure what happens.

I haven't tried this on a PC yet but it worked on my MBP. It's a lot of steps but will save time in the long run until there is a permanent fix and keeps your programed playlist in order.

BTW: It's a great talent to be able to program your evening on-the-fly. But it makes enjoying the evening a lot easier if you do a little pre-event programming.

A pre-programed playlist is a starting point for an evening. Most times, what actually gets played changes based on crowd interactions, etc. The pre-programming helps me to make sure I play my clients Must Plays and special requests.

Mensajes Sat 26 Jul 14 @ 10:05 am
FYI the playlist imports do not work in windows either with iTunes.

it seems iTunes requires the entire path to work.
even though the playlists work in foobar and media monkey.

Mensajes Sat 26 Jul 14 @ 10:08 am
WickedMix-

At least you can edit the Windows m3u file directly and itunes will then recognize it. Not great but doable. See my comment from James Ross above.

Mensajes Mon 28 Jul 14 @ 6:49 pm
Same here. I'm on a macbook and I've been creating playlists in iTunes then exporting the m3u file to the playlists dir in VD. I was surprised to see all my playlists show up empty in VD8. Also I notice that in VDJ7 I can drag a song from iTunes and drop it on a deck but not in VDJ8.

Mensajes Wed 30 Jul 14 @ 12:53 pm
Still waiting on the fix? I just updated to the latest VDJ8 and playlists still dont' seem to be working as they do in 7. Thought I'd give it a try since it's been a while.

Mensajes Wed 19 Nov 14 @ 5:13 pm
I just found out that if I edit the playlist that iTunes creates and just put one change then the playlist will load in VDJ8.

All I did was remove the ^M and then hit return and save the file. (I'm using the vi editor). After that it loads in VDJ8.

Change this:
#EXTM3U^M#EXTINF.........

To this:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF......

This is the playlist from iTunes that will not load in VDJ8:

This is the playlist after editing one character what will load in VDJ8:

Mensajes Fri 21 Nov 14 @ 3:59 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Looks like iTunes uses uncommon line endings when exporting m3u files.
Will be fixed in next build.

Mensajes Sat 22 Nov 14 @ 3:19 am
Looks like they use just a CR \r instead of \r\n CR LF

Mensajes Sat 22 Nov 14 @ 7:03 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)