Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Windows 10 yes or no? - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

So... we're getting close to the deadline. Soon the offer to upgrade for free ends. I was wondering, should we VDJ users upgrade or not?

In my case: I have a dedicated VDJ computer. So I think I should upgrade. But I don't know how VDJ behaves with W10. Are there any VDJ users out there running w10? Is it recommendable to upgrade?

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:11 am
windows 10 working fine for me. after the upgrade make sure you update all drivers. Windows doesn't install the manufacturer updates for windows 10 and if you want to be trouble free you will do this :-)

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:23 am
Good point!!!

Call me distracted or plain dumb, but I hadn't thought about that. It's the first thing one should do, before thinking about upgrading: checking if there are W10 drivers available for one's device / mobo!

I'm fine, just checked...

Any cautionary comments from the devs or moderators side?

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:30 am
Windows 10 (64 bit) has been trouble free for me, using a Pioneer DDJ-SX2 with an i3 2.5GHz and 8GB of RAM.

(new laptop with 10 preinstalled)

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:44 am

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:56 am
Upgraded from 8.1 and it wrecked my machine. Required factory restore. Apparently it's better if installed fresh but I won't touch it again.

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:59 am
Ouch!

I didn't know that was possible... I thought only an upgrade (having W7 or W8 installed) would be possible (for free)...

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 12:07 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You have to upgrade first, but after that you can do a fresh install if required. (Microsoft registered your serial number for that machine already at that point)

As with any update, try to do it when you have enough time to properly test or revert in case something went wrong.

I personally did not have any Windows 10 problems, bot on a new machine, and on one upgraded from Windows 8

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 12:39 pm
Got it. Thanks Adion!

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 1:45 pm
SerinePRO InfinityMember since 2013
I installed fresh and have been really enjoying using it generally, as well as not encountering any problems with using VDJ on it.

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 1:52 pm
I'll make a separate topic for the Delta 44 issue. But as far as W10 is concerned, I'm taking the plunge! (summer time crazyness) :)

So, the answer to this topic is: YES.

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 2:01 pm
I upgraded fairly early, and had all sorts of trouble with Microsoft's forced updating overwriting my audio drivers. It would do it every time and no audio thereafter - I disabled updating in the services and installed the Breakaway audio processor. Haven't had any trouble since then.

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 3:20 pm
Writing now from my W10 PC :)

Did a reset (clean install) after upgrading. It seems I went through all the trouble of searching and downloading the W10 drivers for nothing: everything was already installed and updated from the start (???). Is 3rd party driver support really THAT good in W10?

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 7:26 pm
no its not

don't trust those generic drivers :-)

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 7:29 pm
If your on Win 7 or 8.1 Id strongly suggest you just leave it be, do not update to 10.

Some people have had success with 10 but most of the people I know have went back and avoid 10 like its the plague, myself included.

I deleted after a couple of days, it played VDJ just fine but everything else even just trying to browse internet was a hassle. If everything is working great for you now, why even risk it???

Mensajes Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 11:27 pm
That's exactly my point Huey, but some people just want the latest shiny shiny instead of just leaving a working system alone.

Mensajes Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 6:24 am
kradcliffe wrote :
That's exactly my point Huey, but some people just want the latest shiny shiny instead of just leaving a working system alone.

+1
Nothing can be more true

Your clients won't care what OS you're running but certainly if you crash their wedding

Mensajes Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 9:46 am
I can't say that I agree with statements like "most people went back and avoid 10 like its the plague"

OS is a matter of personal choice and preference and you have every right to use or avoid using W10. However try to be fair when you advise others what to do.

W10 is a very stable OS and it has better performance than Win7 or Win8.1 On the other hand there's not an easy way to shut down windows updates which is something that some people may not like. Also when W10 was introduced some companies did not released proper drivers for their devices. That happens almost on any new OS release and it's something to be expected - and therefore a reason to step back for some time -. However today most if not all devices have drivers that work with W10.

Quote :
but some people just want the latest shiny shiny instead of just leaving a working system alone

Please define the phrase "latest shiny shiny"
If a "working system" is to be "left alone" then I guess a user should still run VirtualDj 5 on a Windows XP machine with a Hercules RMX.
I agree that most users should "delay" drastic changes on their system (like a new OS) upon it's release. However after some time I can't see any benefits of holding back.
I mean you use Windows 7 now, or Windows 8.1
There was a time you were using Windows XP and Windows 7 was the new OS (after Vista which was the ultimate fail of MS)
You were holding back to go to windows 7. Ok. But why ? After an initial wait to see if the new OS had any severe issues (like Vista had) what did you gain from waiting for ages until you upgrade ?
Windows 7 was by far a superior OS compared to XP. And besides the initial issue with drivers (as on any new OS release) I fail to see the reason of holding back. Instead you were holding your self back to use an old OS which day by day was becoming more vulnerable and obsolete.

Same rule applies for W10. It's the new OS. You have every right to hold back and don't like it personally (for instance personally I never liked Windows 8 but I liked Windows 8.1 and I like Windows 10). But holding back just because something "works as it is" it's something I don't understand on a profession that needs to follow technology very close.
I'm not saying to update to everything new the minute it's released. But after a reasonable initial wait I believe you should advance...

Mensajes Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 10:35 am
Phantom I said "Some people have had success with 10 but most of the people I know have went back and avoid 10 like its the plague, myself included."

You don't have to agree with my opinion but don't leave things out of my quote to try and pass off your opinion either.

I also said VDJ did work with Win 10 but I had ran into a ton of other problems that weren't related to VDJ.

Which I'd say is pretty fair.......

Ill also add that I tried Win 10 maybe 2 months ago I think so I did wait a reasonable amount of time.

For me there is no reason I could find that I needed to update to 10, so I stick by my statement.

Mensajes Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 11:42 am
I didn't quote you for a reason. And that's why I didn't include your entire statement.
I was just saying a few things against a logic similar to yours, but not exactly yours :)
And I believe I said a few times already that you have every right to not like W10 or don't want to upgrade.

Mensajes Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 11:45 am
80%