Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Does the paid version have better reverb? - Page: 3
Actually I have the same problem guys... I'm using VDJ and rekordbox and traktor... The 2 other software works like my friend says and it's very practical when using fx...
The VDJ's way is very restricted...
You cannot be creative like this... It's not something hard to do...
Vdj has by far the most features and I use it for all my freestyle dj sets...
But when I want to perform a edm dj set which fx can be used much more creatively, I cannot use VDJ exactly for that reason...
Just add it as an option please... It should be easy

Mensajes Wed 27 Oct 21 @ 3:30 pm
XS Club Chania wrote :

The VDJ's way is very restricted...

In what way?

XS Club Chania wrote :

Just add it as an option please

Add what as an option?

Mensajes Wed 27 Oct 21 @ 5:33 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
dry/wet, RoomSize, HiPass, LowPass ?
try Reverb_TexZK, easy to port to x64 !

Mensajes Wed 27 Oct 21 @ 5:37 pm
ScooxHome userMember since 2018
A very common way to use Reverb is to, basically, cut the input signal to the reverb but still allow it to continue processing until the output completely decays off. This enables you to do things like toggling the input on and off in quick succession as though you were taking a snapshot and then the reverb tail goes on for a while, effectively extending the sound the input captured. This is a very tasteful way to use reverb if you manage to catch a vowel or a particular chord. Delay can too be used this way. The problem I encountered in VDJ is that when I turned off the reverb it also turned off also the output, which sounds like ass. That may have changed since.

If my memory doesn't fail me, the other problem was that the longest reverb and delay decay times were also too short, and the effect was to grainy. I like long smooth creamy reverbs and TBH the stock VDJ ones were utilitarian at best. If you are new to reverb and delay maybe you might think they are ok, but I use professional reverb plugins for music production (e.g. Valhalla, Lexicon, etc) and I know much better, but I don't really need to use these plugins as a benchmark because, as I probably said in an earlier post, the reverb in Traktor, Rekordbox and every other paid DJ application is objectively better.

At the time I couldn't find any 3rd-party VDJ FX that would do this. I did try going the VST route but VDJ wouldn't remember my plugin settings and having to dial in the plugin each time I fired up VDJ was a huge PITA so I gave up on the idea.

If the situation has not improved, my kind advice to the devs is to stop adding fancy features and do first the bread-and-butter stuff. I know I'm going to get flamed by the fanboys but I don't give a toss as I am no longer interested in VDJ. Just doing the right thing by pointing the elephant in the room.

Mensajes Wed 27 Oct 21 @ 6:02 pm
Scoox wrote :
A very common way to use Reverb is to, basically, cut the input signal to the reverb but still allow it to continue processing until the output completely decays off. This enables you to do things like toggling the input on and off in quick succession as though you were taking a snapshot and then the reverb tail goes on for a while, effectively extending the sound the input captured. This is a very tasteful way to use reverb if you manage to catch a vowel or a particular chord. Delay can too be used this way. The problem I encountered in VDJ is that when I turned off the reverb it also turned off also the output, which sounds like ass. That may have changed since.

If my memory doesn't fail me, the other problem was that the longest reverb and delay decay times were also too short, and the effect was to grainy. I like long smooth creamy reverbs and TBH the stock VDJ ones were utilitarian at best. If you are new to reverb and delay maybe you might think they are ok, but I use professional reverb plugins for music production (e.g. Valhalla, Lexicon, etc) and I know much better, but I don't really need to use these plugins as a benchmark because, as I probably said in an earlier post, the reverb in Traktor, Rekordbox and every other paid DJ application is objectively better.

At the time I couldn't find any 3rd-party VDJ FX that would do this. I did try going the VST route but VDJ wouldn't remember my plugin settings and having to dial in the plugin each time I fired up VDJ was a huge PITA so I gave up on the idea.

If the situation has not improved, my kind advice to the devs is to stop adding fancy features and do first the bread-and-butter stuff. I know I'm going to get flamed by the fanboys but I don't give a toss as I am no longer interested in VDJ. Just doing the right thing by pointing the elephant in the room.

I understand your point exactly. I have the same wish.
I also have pioneer dj-1000 which has hardware fx processing. Tapping the reverb on and off gives a large reverbbtail. Depending on the decay settings. Also a traktor user which does the same. Tapping the reverb on off real quick in vdj gives just a tiny tail. Barely audible.
I ended up buying an extra pioneer mixer djm 750 which is capable of doing that same effect on-board.
Maybe vdj can do that too by using a vst host plugin that can do parallel processing. Wet/dry as in the picture you made. This is the exact one lacking feature that’s keeping me from fully switching from rekordbox and traktor. Gotta have that nice reverb touch.. like traktor and rekordbox!

Mensajes Thu 02 Feb 23 @ 9:30 pm
@DJCannonball IIRC using third-party plugins it can be done BUT there is a catch, firstly, the plugin has to have an input bypass button. While searching for such a plugin back when I was checking out VDJ, I couldn't find one. Most reverb plugins have at best a Mix knob. Usually input bypass is not something plugins implement because this functionality is usually provided by the DAW or host. In this case VDJ is the host and it only provides and on-off switch which completely turns off the plugin, therefore the reverb tail stops immediately. Second, even if such a plugin exists, when I tested using VSTs in VDJ it didn't remember the plugin state, so I had to dial the plugin parameters in every single time I fired up VDJ, which was a real PITA. It's sad because VDJ is almost perfect. Just give us better stock delay and reverb FX, and input bypass, boom, killer software.

Mensajes Thu 02 Feb 23 @ 10:54 pm
1) DDJ-1000 (The Rekordbox version, not the SRT) does not use hardware but software effects for Digital Audio channels. So, if you have DDJ-1000 then you're using VirtualDJ effects.

2) If your controller allows it, you should switch fxProcessing setting to post fader.
This should allow you to perform all common tricks with effects like echo, and reverb.

Mensajes Sat 04 Feb 23 @ 7:02 pm
Scoox wrote :
@DJCannonball IIRC using third-party plugins it can be done BUT there is a catch, firstly, the plugin has to have an input bypass button. While searching for such a plugin back when I was checking out VDJ, I couldn't find one. Most reverb plugins have at best a Mix knob.

Black-hole (Eventide) has an input-kill-switch. i tried that in vdj, but the problem is when i tap the killswitch in blackhole i get a nice tail.. (what we want), but because vdj is not processing in parallel you don't hear the dry signal.. so you hear only the tail.

i haven't looked for a vst-plugin host that can do parallel processing. if i can find it i report back

Mensajes Mon 06 Feb 23 @ 1:34 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
DDJ-1000 (The Rekordbox version, not the SRT) does not use hardware but software effects for Digital Audio channels. So, if you have DDJ-1000 then you're using VirtualDJ effects.

it really has hardware fx processing. ddj-1000 is a controller, yes. if being used with vdj, the fx are proccesed via software by vdj. but if you disconnect the usb-cable (no computer) the external line inputs can still use the on-board fx. i have tested it myself with 2 turntables no external mixer, just a single ddj-1000

Mensajes Mon 06 Feb 23 @ 1:47 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
phantom's point was; if you're using a software [recordbox, vdj, whatever] as an input then the fx are software too.

Mensajes Mon 06 Feb 23 @ 1:56 pm

Mensajes Mon 06 Feb 23 @ 2:07 pm
@DJCANNONBALL VST host plugins don't work well because you have to configure everything from scratch every time you fire up VDJ. This happens because, as I said, VDJ won't remember the plugin state. If the VST host plugin can load presets that will reduce the number of steps/actions required to get up and running, but it's not like built-in FX, which are remembered.

Mensajes Tue 07 Feb 23 @ 7:17 pm
Scoox wrote :
@DJCANNONBALL VST host plugins don't work well because you have to configure everything from scratch every time you fire up VDJ. This happens because, as I said, VDJ won't remember the plugin state. If the VST host plugin can load presets that will reduce the number of steps/actions required to get up and running, but it's not like built-in FX, which are remembered.

that's a bummer. i still did try out blue cat's late replies.
that one does work and had built-in reverb, but no input-kill switch only dry-wet knobs.
it also does load 3rd party-vsts. i tried several, but i could NOT get Eventide Blackhole to load insite blue cat

i'm giving up.. for now i have some very good hardware solutions to this (pioneer DJM-750), but would die to have this in software in vdj

Mensajes Tue 07 Feb 23 @ 7:25 pm