Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Any DJs on here make mixtapes? - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
When sending FREE Promos I only send a medium quality recording and litter the set with jingles, the CD cover also has copyright laws printed over it.

Mensajes Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 11:24 pm
Good morning ladies and gents...

Unfortunately, mixtapes are ilegal ... whether given away for free or not, or labelled promo use only. As soon as material has been reproduced, music companies state that it is illegal - and once the product passes hands without certain steps being taken, you really cross a bridge that shouldn't be crossed!
According to record company representatives, all performance, reproduction etc means that permission from the owners/managers/producers/appropriate authorities etc of the works should be sought and locked down before anything is used.

If you have solely produced a work from scratch, its yours and you don't have to gain permission from anyone (unless you have used samples from another artists works - plse check how much sampletime you are allowed).

That said, major record labels have certainly locked down their labels and made it impossible for most djs/producers/remix artists to reuse material for mixtapes. This kind of policy supposedly protects the artist but it has opened up the door to djs/remix artists/producers getting frustrated and reusing material without their consent.
Everyone loses, the dj/producer/remixer could be fined! The artist doesn't get any royalties. The record company doesn't get their (usually exorbitant) cut.

There must be a middle ground and record companies or artists should make an effort to actively encourage accessibility to their music for djs/remixers etc so it can be a win-win situation for all parties...
MAJOR RECORD EXECS, TAKE NOTE! A CLOSED DOOR POLICY IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!

I think artists have the power to take a step forward and meet us half-way...release material which can be used on special albums that can be purchased! Or a paid/contractural service especially for us djs/producers/remix artists that allows the artist to get paid and for us to extend our creativity...more money for artists...less bullshit for us...everyone gets paid!
I have heard the argument time and again from company reps and artists that it would be impossible to control and track use of material with an open door policy and that the artist is the big loser...
BUT, THERE HAS GOT TO BE TONNES OF OTHER INNOVATIVE IDEAS TO HELP DJS/PRODUCERS/REMIXERS GET MIXTAPE/PRODUCTION MATERIAL FROM MAJOR ARTISTS AND FOR THE ARTISTS TO GET PAID FOR THEIR HARD WORK

LONG LIVE MIXTAPES - THE MIDDLE FINGER OF THE HAND OF HIP HOP

Mensajes Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 11:25 pm
C'mon you guys, this is not brain surgery. "Everybody else does it" is a lame and childish excuse. People with integrity, never say that. If you are going to do something that is "Illegal", at least have the balls to take responsibility for your actions. Don't blame it on "everybody else does it". It does not work in a court of law, or the court of public opinion. "Your honor, I was on crack", will work better than "everybody else does it". It is so pathetic, I don't even know why I'm addressing it. Oh, maybe one person will get it. If you had just said, "I make mix-tapes", I can respect that. I don't know you, or what your life is. However, you can't justify your actions, so don't try. "Unauthorized duplication", how do you get around that? You may convince yourself it's OK, but some of us know better. The next time you get stopped for speeding, tell the police officer, "everybody else does it". You will get two tickets. One for speeding, and one for being stupid. BTW, stop bothering me about the high levels of synthetic testosterone in my urine, "Everybody else, oh never mind.

Mensajes Fri 11 Aug 06 @ 7:37 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
a friend of a friend bought a house selling cds and is not the only one :-)

Mensajes Fri 11 Aug 06 @ 9:30 am
Kid Capri, made a fortune making mix-tapes, and he has bought more than a house. I'll bet you he not only gets permission, but the labels are begging him to put their tracks, on his CDs. That is not the point, I was making. A friend of a friend bought a house, Rolex, 2 BMWs, a Bentley, and more bling than a diamond mine, selling cocaine, and he is not the only one. So, what is your point?

Mensajes Fri 11 Aug 06 @ 9:45 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)