Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Hip-Hop/R&B/Soul Mixing for a club setting.

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

dabblinPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Oh My God. This forum has not one bit of useful information on this topic. I've been mixing these genres of music for 5 months now. Self taught by the way. I want to share the basic skills I have learned so that up coming nubbies can get to the gist of making phat mixes faster than it took me.

There is no one trick pony that works for all three genres. So I'll break things down based on each one. Starting with Hip-Hop. To get the best feeling out of the mixes I've noticed club crowds don't really feel the long drawn out mash-ups. A pure-cut to the next song keeps the crowd happy and dancing every time.

So I will drop my first cue point at the beginning of the track...even if there is just a boring intro of the rapper talking. This can be useful in the future if you need to make a mix CD for a friend. My second cue point is around the start of the first 8 beat phrase you find most Hip-Hop tracks. Visually it varies from song to song so you have to listen listen and listen to make sure you hear the correct 8 beat phrase. My Third cue point is set at the beginning of the first verse. Sometimes it can start with an vocal cue like "uh"...if you miss this vital part of the first verses 8 beats making loops later will sound like a mess. So isolate your second and third 8 beat phrases first. This is the key to taking that and making mash ups.

Once you have those 8 beat phrases try using the loop shortcuts on the keyboard. Bring up your second cue and press the number 5 gets you an 8 beat loop. Check out your loop. You'll know if it's solid cus it wont miss a single beat...or the loop will just feel perfectly right. Now its time to take that 8 beat loop and play it over some song on Deck B with the tempo matched.

Start song B and keep your Deck A cued at the second cue point. Now as B starts to reach the chorus, you are going to listen to or count the 8 beats in your head as it reaches its chorus. Now pressing play timely at the 8 beat start of the chorus will get you a mash up in your head phones. You can hear that Deck A is looping over Deck B for 8 beats. Seems simple enough at this point. But how do you intro the song on Deck A into Deck B with a cut...well stop Deck A while Deck B continues on through to the next verse. Now go to the 3rd cue point on Deck A, where your verse starts. Listen carefully as Deck B is coming to that 8 beat chorus again.

Now the trick to getting this right is to use a 4 beat loop. Press 4 on your keyboard to get Deck A ready to only play a 4 beat loop. Press play on Deck A at the beginning of the chorus on Deck B. So now in your headphones you hear the song on Deck A repeating the first words over and over while the song on Deck B is perfectly synced with this but it's playing it's chorus. If you missed timed it slightly, just use the pitch slider left(or -) if you where early or right(or +) if you hit the button late. You'll know you've got a good loop when it just sounds right.

Sometimes the snares match...sometimes the kicks match...sometimes the base matches. It can very. But usually and very often even the words are synced perfect. So the chorus on Deck B might say "Go DJ, cuz that's my DJ" and the first verse would be repeating "Got a new pair of kicks and I kick-it" and it will sound synced.

As the chorus on Deck B is coming to an end, watch the wave pattern on Deck A and begin sliding the cross-fader to Deck A as you see the end of those 4 beats coming to a loop (NOTE: DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE VERY END OF THE LOOP -- START ABOUT 1/3 TO THE END OF IT). Quickly remove the 4 beat loop by pressing the number 4 on the keyboard and wow...it felt so seamless if you did it right!!!! And the crowd won't look at you funny like "where's my beat MR DJ...I'm trying to look fly on the dance floor."

Now you can experiment with it, like when you choose to bring in the second song...it doesn't have to be at the chorus as you will find if you experiment with it. Also you can do the same thing I described above with your second cue point. It will more then likely be a point in the song with very few words so that leaves room for less error in the transition. There are always creative ways to make it vary from song to song as well like using the back-spin and breaks when you are going to drop something very hot!!!!

Since this was so very long I will describe Mixing Soul And R&B in my next post.

Peace,
DJ DAB
AKA
"The Last Dragon"

Mensajes Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 3:14 pm

Mensajes Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 4:35 pm
I wish i had seen this video 5 months ago!!! At least this is being addressed now for newbies in the forum. Thanx DJ Marcel 1 this shows exactly what I had to figure out on my own plus your own flavor of mixing!! I like mash ups very much...i've used them in two gigs I had! It was awesome giving people a remix feeling on the dance floor. Then when I hit a predominantly urban club the DJ before me didn't mash up his music all night. When I came in behind him with my set and did mash-ups people would look up at me like just play the next song please! The other DJ says to me in some clubs people don't like to be teased with your next track. So I used the mash ups sparingly to ad variation to the mixes. It's all about the crowd from what I'm finding out...

Mensajes Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 5:19 pm
That vid has been on youtube for almost a year now; with 439,430 views as of this post. I had it up here when I first made it, But it drops off the radar after the first few pages of posts go away.

Glad you found it useful

You should also tune into VDJ radio every now and then for URBAN VIBEZ & Thumpin Thursdays. Lots of Hip hop and club urban being spun out there.

Mensajes Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 5:34 pm
Awesome...I just checked in youtube and viewed more of your videos. As soon as I get my new Mac I'll make a video and post some good stuff for users of VDJ as well who spin hip-hop. How did you become a DJ for the VDJ radio? I'd love to get involved.

Mensajes Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 6:54 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
dabblin wrote :
How did you become a DJ for the VDJ radio? I'd love to get involved.

Apply here my friend;)

Go to the radio forum for more info.

Edit: Hehe by the time i post this i already saw that u have actually apply to it..hmm well all the best to you n have a nice day;)

Mensajes Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 7:55 pm
Hey Marcel, just an fyi....that Ice Cube song is called You Can Do It.

Mensajes Mon 01 Dec 08 @ 3:20 pm
we used to do this with vinyl back in the day-- it was called a "Blend". there was little room for error and you had to be up on your bpms manually. It's so much easier to do with software now.

Mensajes Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 2:18 am
bij2005PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Thanks for the information guys. Finally I found something useful to me in this forum.

Mensajes Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 1:18 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)