Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Granny wants to DJ- PLEASE HELP GRANNY!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I am an American living in Bali. We have a small club lined up where I want to bring my laptop and play some vintage lounge and cocktail classics. (Granny has a little taste and NEEDS to control the music to keep this event from devolving into a "greatest 50's hits" dorkfest.) We'd like to turn this into a regular event.

(I have basic computer skills but no "lingo" will be comprehended.)

I want to take my laptop to the venue; the venue has a small PA system that is normally used to mike for singers and accoustic guitars.

I do not want to fade, scratch, beat match or anything like that for now, and a one second pause between songs will be acceptable. However, from what I read online, if I take the laptop with nothing more than "Windows Media player" or "Winamp" or "Realplayer", etc, and rig a patch cord from the laptop speaker outputs to a "guitar cord" type jack and plug into the PA system, all kinds of nasty, embarrassing things can happen, such as me broadcasting Windows function sounds or bad sound quality.

For now I want the simplest possible program and equipment. Our event is in 6 weeks and I have to get everything together- any doo-hickeys or gear will have to be shipped in- that takes time. I dont have time or a tutor here for a complicated program, and I am not good at learning software programs on my own.

I will be using songs from an external hard drive connected to the laptop as opposed to CDS. I would like to create songs lists from which I can spontaneously choose the next selections at the event; I dont want to simply make CDs to play.

What do I need?:

1) to connect the laptop to the PA and keep the sound quality good?

2) What software program can I use? It has to be idiotically simple, AND/or I need a referrel to someone I can *pay* to coach me over skype or the telephone + LogMeIn if necessary to get me quickly understanding and using the program. If I could preview songs through headphones, that would be GREAT.

4) I'm ready for a major mixer-unit purchase at this point. Do I need some gizmo bewteen the laptop and the PA? What is the smallest/lightweight (cheap to airmail into Bali), least expensive and most commonly-available gizmo for this, if I do need something?

5) What "patch cords" do I need? (I would like stereo, when available, from the recordings)

Thank you!

Mensajes Tue 07 Apr 09 @ 7:46 pm
Hello.

For what you are asking for Winamp will be just fine. It's very clear what you're doing, so you don't have to worry about anything. All you do is drag the tracks into it, and when you're fine, you can save the playlist and then just pull that in the next time you want those tracks.

1. You'll need a good soundcard, a soundcard like MAYA44 (http://www.thomann.de/se/esi_maya_44_usb.htm), will probably be what you're hoping for. It'll sound marvelous on a small PA system.

2. If you want to preview tracks, you could start another winamp and play that through your other soundcard hooked up to some headphones. Sounds more complicated than it is, real simple procedure. Just ask.

4. With a mixer like this (http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_vmx100_pro_mixer.htm) though, you could wire the other winamp to the mixer and preview through the mixer. You also get tactile control and mic plugins yadayada.

5. You'll probably do fine with good ol' phono cords.

Mensajes Fri 10 Apr 09 @ 3:25 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
yep, just simply open your windows media player, select library tab > choose your track > drag and drop into right hand coloumn (untitled playlist) you can change the name through the drop down box, so you may store your tunes/playlist until the big night, on the night make a connection from your earphone socket on the lappy to any inputs on the mixer or amp and away you go, (best if you can do a dry run before hand so your confident with the way it's set up, and any worries corrected.)

hope you have a great night....

Mensajes Fri 10 Apr 09 @ 8:32 am
Whoa!

Thank you very much! May someone be equally helpful to you someday when you are in need of advice!

Believe it or not, I tried reading about this online for about 3 solid days before I resorted to asking for help- I can't stand it when people wil not at least try to help themselves.
?
I will write my new questions one post at a time.

At the link you gave me I found these two pieces of equipment that look like what you have described and which woud work poratbly with a laptop:

ESI MAYA 44 USB
MIXVIBES MAYA 44 SE

I am not technically knowledgable enough to understand the difference- will they both work equally well and shall i just flip a coin?

Mensajes Sat 11 Apr 09 @ 10:51 pm
Next question:

So, I run a line from the headphones socket outlet on my laptop (I think what I stick in there is called an RCA jack, right?) to the MAYA soundcard via another single RCA jack, and then I run another RCA jack from the MAYA soundcard to the PA system and use an adaptor like this to get it into the PA: http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:WJ4bj-EFAMaj0M:http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/7d/7dayshop-com-3-5mm--6-3mm-standard-headphone-jack-converter-plug.jpg

That link shows an adaptor that makes the tiny plug type that goes into a laptop into a 1/4 inch plug like is used to put something into a normal PA system used mostly for microphones and stuff.

1) Does this sound like the right way to connect this?
2) Will we still have stereo sound even though we are only going via one line? If not and we are now mono, will that really wreck the sound?

Thank you so much!!!!!

Mensajes Sat 11 Apr 09 @ 11:09 pm
Hello.

For what you are asking for Winamp will be just fine. It's very clear what you're doing, so you don't have to worry about anything. All you do is drag the tracks into it, and when you're fine, you can save the playlist and then just pull that in the next time you want those tracks.

1. You'll need a good soundcard, a soundcard like MAYA44 (http://www.thomann.de/se/esi_maya_44_usb.htm), will probably be what you're hoping for. It'll sound marvelous on a small PA system.

2. If you want to preview tracks, you could start another winamp and play that through your other soundcard hooked up to some headphones. Sounds more complicated than it is, real simple procedure. Just ask.

4. With a mixer like this (http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_vmx100_pro_mixer.htm) though, you could wire the other winamp to the mixer and preview through the mixer. You also get tactile control and mic plugins yadayada.

5. You'll probably do fine with good ol' phono cords.

(GREAT, REASONABLY-PRICED GEAR SUGGESTIONS, BTW- I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT!)

Mensajes Sat 11 Apr 09 @ 11:33 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
from your lappy...

output channels give you white lead/left channel red lead/right channel to your mixer

you will have to use a y splitter for each channel to get dual inputs into mixing desk

which of course will only give you mono sound output

Mensajes Sun 12 Apr 09 @ 3:32 am
I have ordered a Maya 44 and it should be arriving to me here in Bali within the next week or so. I'm pretty sure i can figure out the cord situation to get the laptop hooked up to the Maya 44 and the Maya 44 hooked up to the PA.

What I'm now concerned about, though, is- I won't be able to get stereo??? I can only get mono, even with the laptop and the Maya 44? Is there any way to get stereo? What would I need to get stereo?

Thank you guys so much!

Katherine in Bali

Mensajes Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 7:33 am
No, no, don't worry. Tayla was talking about if you'd use a splitter. You won't be using that now, so you'll have full stereo. Nothing to worry about.

By the way, when you get your soundcard you can get the latest drivers from here http://download.audiotrak.net/

Mensajes Mon 27 Apr 09 @ 1:42 pm
Whirlingturban wrote :
Next question:

So, I run a line from the headphones socket outlet on my laptop (I think what I stick in there is called an RCA jack, right?) to the MAYA soundcard via another single RCA jack, and then I run another RCA jack from the MAYA soundcard to the PA system and use an adaptor like this to get it into the PA: http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:WJ4bj-EFAMaj0M:http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/7d/7dayshop-com-3-5mm--6-3mm-standard-headphone-jack-converter-plug.jpg

That link shows an adaptor that makes the tiny plug type that goes into a laptop into a 1/4 inch plug like is used to put something into a normal PA system used mostly for microphones and stuff.

1) Does this sound like the right way to connect this?
2) Will we still have stereo sound even though we are only going via one line? If not and we are now mono, will that really wreck the sound?

Thank you so much!!!!!

No, you run a USB cable from the laptop to the MAYA44 and ignore the earphone socket on the laptop. The MAYA44 will give you 4 outputs (2 left and 2 right). Connect these to your mixer, and bob's your uncle.

Mensajes Fri 15 May 09 @ 1:57 pm
THANKS EVERYBODY WHO HAS HELPED! I got my Maya 44. I do understand how to connect the laptop to the Maya. The Maya four small round outlets labeled " analog output".

I need to connect the Maya to a PA system like is used for microphones. The PA system has a "main unit" (not sure the name of this- a mixer????) where you attach microphones and stuff, and that is connected to the PA system's speakers. Do I need four cables that connect on one end with the small "analog outlets" and connect to the PA "main unit" on the other end with an "electric guitar type" plug? Do I need to use all four "analog out"outlets on the Maya? Do I need to use two? Will I still not be able to get stereo? So should I just use one?

Thank you so much- I have nobody else to ask this- I appreciate it VERY much!

Mensajes Thu 02 Jul 09 @ 6:49 pm
p.s. is the maya 44 a "soundcard" ?

Mensajes Thu 02 Jul 09 @ 6:50 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Whirlingturban wrote :
p.s. is the maya 44 a "soundcard" ?

Yes, the Maya is an ASIO soundcard. Connect the "small round outlets" to the mixer. Connect Analog output 1 & 2 to channel one of the mixer, A.K.A. "main unit". Then connect analog output three and four to channel two of the mixer. Once that is accomplished you will need to disable the crossfader in VDJ via the Config menu. After that it is just like DJing with records or CDs.

Mensajes Thu 02 Jul 09 @ 8:57 pm
Thanks! I think I have got it now. I really appreciate it!

Katherine

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 09 @ 6:53 am

Mensajes Sun 19 Jul 09 @ 7:18 am
at the picture you seperate each deck for an extra Channel. than you dont have the chance to crossfade a song!

For this you need a Mixer!

Mensajes Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 7:06 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)