Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Mixing with Disco

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi All,

So..I got a pretty big conundrum and I'm hoping somebody here can shed some light on it. I'm working on a mix and it's basically done, I have everything set up they way I want it and can play it out no problem, except for this one disco track. Everybody Dance by Chic. The problem is that the beats seem to speed up and slow down at various points during the song causing the beat markers to go out of whack. (pictured here: http://img7.yfrog.com/i/beatmatch.jpg/) Now...I'm told that this is just the way disco is. Back then there was no way for the drummer to keep a perfectly steady beat and as a result you see wave forms where the beat markers fall out of place with the wave forms. These days dance music is all done with synths and beat machines so everything is lines up perfect when using VDJ

However, I do have an MP3 of this track where the beats line up perfectly with the beat markers in VDJ...the problem with that MP3 is that there's a skip right in the middle of the track so I can't really use it in the mix. Every other version of this song that I've found has the same problem mentioned above. Ordinarily I'd just scrap the track and find another, but I feel its just too damn funky to throw out and i want to finish this mix and move on to another. Eventually I'd even like to do an mix of all disco tracks if I can figure this out. Can somebody please help with this??!? Pretty please with a cherry on top :)

Mensajes Sat 27 Jun 09 @ 6:28 pm
I had this problem before with YMCA song, till i realize that's just the way Disco Songs are...
There are two ways to deal with this problem:

1. Play the 2nd song, don't use SYNC button, but use PITCH BEND to control and match the 2nd song's beats to the first one. You can do this by looking at the graphic (easier way) or using your ear (more accurate).

or,

2. Adjust the beat grid manually (by clicking the BPM button) during the outro part of the 1st song, and intro part of the 2nd song. Position the beat grid just below the bear bars / graphics. Then you can use SYNC button during the mixing process. But this way could be a problem later if the 2nd song have the same problem as the 1st one and u want to mix the 3rd song later.

I personally use the 1st method more. Only use the 2nd one if I need to 'sudden drop' the 2nd song directly.
Hope this helps :)

Mensajes Mon 29 Jun 09 @ 5:19 am

Mensajes Wed 08 Jul 09 @ 11:49 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)