Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Using a computer - not a serious DJ?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I want your oppinions on not using cd players or vinyls. Is a dj who uses laptop not "professional" enough for big clubs and its owners? How's your experince about this?
I used cd players, but I am more creative in my set when using a software, faster and a better DJ in global!
Greetz

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 1:59 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Bring 'em both and let 'em wonder.....
Even if you only used 1/2 the potential of VDJ you will have them thinking you are pretty special.

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 2:21 am
dj_cashPRO InfinityMember since 2004
mp3jrick is right... If they just hear U playing with VDJ they will love it...

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 3:32 pm
ZezkeHome userMember since 2005
The crowd wants good music and good mixes, you and VDJ are delevering it to them. Go and be great :-p

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 6:08 pm
I use Virtual dj at one of the largest clubs and hottest clubs in my town, 3 times a week :)

There where some looks at first, but when they saw me play... no one questioned it anymore :)

Its like when DJ cd-players came around, all vinyl jockeys where skeptic...
Now, some are skeptic about digital djing... but that will end...

Its always like this when new stuff come around

Look at major brands like Pioneer, Technics and more... they are all implementing digital djing, mp3 play, into hardware now. Even some of them are making software to go along :)

Digital djing is for sure here to stay, and is getting more and more accepted

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 6:28 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well said dj-in-norway,
I would go as far to say that virtual dj in clubs is actually more proffesional than most traditional dj set-ups, why?, Because the power of virtual dj (external mixer and dual soundcard needed) is by far alot more feature rich and functional than most gear on the market, just see what is possible, it's certainly the way forward.., the program can get updated fast and costs nothing.., but dj hardware industry can't compete with this rate of release, it's too costly for consumers.

Software is for sure the new and exciting way to compliment a mixer and controller :).

Bagpuss.

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 6:36 pm
Thanks guys, I feel beter now! I'm using Atomix Mp3 now, but soon I will join digital DJ's with VDJ for sure!
Thanks again!

Mensajes Thu 28 Apr 05 @ 12:44 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Welcome in advance Alf; it's a very good choice.

Mensajes Thu 28 Apr 05 @ 7:11 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think Old School is always better ...with 2 turntables . people likes to see the dj in action .So TCV is the best option .you can do loops ...samples and more ...if you can :GO FOR TCV

Mensajes Fri 29 Apr 05 @ 1:51 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@Man-TK

Strange but after seeing Norways set up in his blog.....I feel the same. NOrway, you have helped me a ton so much respect. But, man go for TCV's. Nuff said, I know it can be done easier and differently with CD players but I don't know.. Vinyl is the real/old way for me. TCV is incredible technology, it really makes me smile every time it feels like vinyl.

Mensajes Fri 29 Apr 05 @ 4:12 am
Some like pianos... some like synthesizers.. :)

Some like it to be analog and warm, some like it to be digital and cool ;)

the diskussion is old, outdated and not even interesting :) sorry... hehe

Reason for saying that, is that there are so many ways of djing, so many equipments and tools for djs.

Some like vinyl, some like cd-decks, some like samplers, some like software... doesnt really matter!
Really!! its the result that matters...

What you feel most comfortable using, is what counts..
The guests dont care if you play vinyl, cds, or mp3s... they care about good music, good atmosphere, good mixing ;)

Even such world known dj's as Dimitri for Paris, and many more use computers... :) saying he's not a real dj would be to shoot yourself in the leg...hehe

I do use timecode cd's sometimes... just because I'm a bit used to the Pioneer decks I have in my club.
But when I dont, do all digital gigs.. I dont feel lesser a dj, dont feel I'm not real... loool ;)
In fact, I sometimes deliver better ;)

But sure... timecode vinyls are good for those who like timecode vinyls... no questions asked :)

But anyone trying to say that vinyls is the "real" way is a plain laugh.. :) sorry guys...
Its a style of dijing... not better, not worse.. than any other style... simple as that...

But as I said, its an old, and really not very interesting diskussion :) sorry.. cd players are here to stay, so are Synthesizers... :) and so is dj software :) those who wants to embraze new technology, go ahead.. those who wants to be retro, stay cool ;) hehe

love u all ;)

Mensajes Fri 29 Apr 05 @ 2:33 pm
I guess I am the guy in the middle. I started with vinyl back in the mid 80's and to this day I still love vinyl. I love the feel and the energy seeing a DJ throw down on two turntables. CD decks are fine, XP-10's are too even the plates are pretty cool, but vinyl has a sense of a old school feel about them. BUT, if a DJ uses CDs, MP3s or software it really shouldn't matter because it's the music that makes the DJ. Not the equipment. The problem is that people are not acustomed to change very well. Also the old school type DJs that feel that new technology takes the feel out of being a DJ...remember one thing.

If you are a TCV user then many Old Schoolers will feel the same way about you because...
You don't have to carry around crates full of records
you don't have to search through the crates looking for records to play( I used to always get papercuts)
you have cue points(back in the day there were no cue points...I used tape to quickly locate my cues)
you have BPM beat lights to help you match beats
you have a wavelength window to help you beatmix
You have a SYNC
you have beatlock

I can go on and on. But the most important thing is that you be successful with whatever means that you use to please the ears, feet, butts...every part of thier bodies.
A real DJ is not what he uses to produce FUN, but that he CAN produce FUN.

Although I do perfer to see DJ tricks with vinyl. But who knows I have never seen tricks without them.

BTW all tracks that Old Schoolers use today have been made with computer software. How about that?

MS

Mensajes Fri 29 Apr 05 @ 5:04 pm
YEAH!
When I first opened this thread, I never belive how good this gonna be! So much different thinking about this issue.... I see that everybody agrees that result (atmosphere) is most important! No mather what you use. I do like to see DJ spining vinyls, but no one can be that fast and creative as with VDJ! I mean, "papercuts", I never think about that, even it is a true, I belive. I never used vinyls, didn't have the chance to go that far... Back in 1998, I decided to buy decks, but my health stopped me at that point, I have a asthma, I discover that then. I could not travel back then from club to club. I changed my way in buying a computer, and continuing playing at the local club using cd players. Now I work as a PC serviceman, so you never know where you gonna end up. I also decided to get VDJ, Laptop and get it more pro, that is why I started this thread. I wanna know, because I have 10 years behind me as a DJ, how the club owners think about this issue. I regret we didn't have this software 5 years ago...
Thank you all on your help!
Dj Alf, Serbia

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 05 @ 6:32 am
I agree with Norway hand in hand.., Different strokes for different folks!.., What I don't like to see though is a DJ with no 'skill' merely pushing buttons.., VDJ is the perfct tool for developing skill without being thrown in the deep end.., those who don't seek skill, fine, but I believe proffesional DJ's playing infront of an audience should have some 'talent' at least. But what I hate to see, is my ears when they aren't pleased.., so music is what this is about on the first place..

In this case.., "which is best?" is a very childish question.., but not far off, it should be which is best for YOU?, and what is best for YOU might not be best for ME, but having a lesser opinion of the different 'guy' is the root of all of our flaws as people...

Bagpuss :).

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 05 @ 5:17 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think for the "eyes" is better a dj with turntables to a dj with keyboard ...

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 05 @ 6:45 pm
I agree, just like a sober man is better conversation than a drunk.., two extremes, but an intermediate value can make all the difference for the better.

Perhaps a controller, mixer, cd players, midi keyboard etc etc.

However, a DJ's performance and success is not in relation to his tool kit, but how those tools are applied, gear is just one type of tool, I can think of numerous more.

I personally prefer a DJ with good music taste, mixing ability, good communication with the audience, and an interesting, innovating set-up.

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 05 @ 7:03 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)