Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: important rule in virtual dj!!!!! - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

this is for the newbies!!! DO NOT THINK THE BARS AT THE BOTTOM ARE THE ACTUAL BEATS!!
THEY ARE THE LENGTH OF THE BEAT, DONT THINK THAT BY LINING THEM UP BOTH SONGS WILL
BE ON BEAT, SOMETIMES THEY ARE SOMETIMES THEY ARE NOT. THIS GOES FOR ANY TIME OF MUSIC!!

anyone agree?

Mensajes Sat 07 Nov 09 @ 12:29 am
Yes sir. You are right.

Mensajes Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 1:18 am
DJKosmoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
ok, that makes sense. Then how do you sync one song to the other
I know that you need to have the BPM's matched, but I thought that you were supposed to be able to
look at the wave forms and match up the beats
Thanks

Mensajes Fri 13 Nov 09 @ 8:47 pm
Kosmo, your best bet is to mix by ear, the visuals are good for getting close but your ears won't lie.

Mensajes Mon 16 Nov 09 @ 10:23 am
FLeX69PRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJ Kosmos

If I'm correct the CBG's need to be aligned with the beat in order to sync. I don't use the auto sync, but I have shortcut keys on my keyboard for + & - to adjust the CBG's. I do this because some of my samples are set to auto & sometimes off a little with the song playing. The shortcut keys help me to adjust on the fly.

Well, this works for me.

FLeX

Mensajes Thu 19 Nov 09 @ 6:43 am
AHH I USED TO MAKE THAT MISTAKE... ID TRY LINING UP THE PEAKS

Mensajes Fri 11 Dec 09 @ 9:05 am
Best tip is to learn how to mix by ear. Learning about how music is constructed and works will help you develop as a musician. Ultimately a DJ that explores music will be better than someone who relies on "tricks".

Mensajes Fri 11 Dec 09 @ 1:18 pm
ok sounds bout right...

Mensajes Sun 13 Dec 09 @ 8:53 am
EXACTLY!!! The waveforms only get us close, but to get the 'right' match only rely on ur ear. And this gets worse with music from 70's and 80's

Mensajes Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 7:22 am
EXACTLY!!! The waveforms only get us close, but to get the 'right' match only rely on ur ear. And this gets worse with music from 70's and 80's

Mensajes Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 7:22 am
ive made that mistake in the beginning when I started out but then i actually heard the music

Mensajes Wed 23 Dec 09 @ 8:51 am
what are some good mixers to use with video that The Crossfade works with virtual

Mensajes Thu 24 Dec 09 @ 5:10 pm
You will no straight away if the little blocks are corect as they will be underneath the waveform peak, I tend to use the waveform if i am doing it visually at first. I always use my ears though to get it right, the Sync function saves time and is a good feature but you can't rely on it. Sometimes I have to disregard it all together and do the whole thing by ear anyway.
I have always made sure I now my Tracks well and now I am finding I am knowing my tracks even better by looking at the wave forms, some people see a series of random squiggles and peaks but I see High hat here, Bass line there, cute blond in the corner e.t.c.
I even taught myself to mix tracks in without headphones by putting my head near the needle of the record and hearing the vibrations from the needle, admittedly it doesn't always work but helps u with your overall ability to listen.

The combination of visual and aural takes a while to get used to as I have always been just aural but in the long run its an extra thing that can help.

Mensajes Sat 17 Apr 10 @ 5:35 am
DJKosmoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Thanks all, guess I need to keep practicing and train my ears
Peace

Mensajes Sun 18 Apr 10 @ 6:29 am
Good info..i've had the same issue, i have to practice more.

Mensajes Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 6:44 am
You can go through and manully arrange the blocks so that they do line up perfect, but like it has been said you SHOULD always trust what you HEAR and not rely on the waves. In my opinion use just your ears will make you a better dj in the long run.

Mensajes Sun 25 Apr 10 @ 11:48 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
You can go through and manully arrange the blocks so that they do line up perfect, but like it has been said you SHOULD always trust what you HEAR and not rely on the waves. In my opinion use just your ears will make you a better dj in the long run.

I agree...Modify the CBG locations if you wish for a quick visual reference, but your ear is the final judge ;)

Mensajes Sun 25 Apr 10 @ 5:16 pm
Yep! the waveforms aren't there for mixing! I always use my ears! I leave the waveform zoomed all the way out 99% of the time so I can see parts of a song coming up so I can easily pick my in and out points for my mix and use my ear for the mixing, same way I did before i had a laptop with wavelengths. It has it's advantages no doubt, but never forget how it was done before laptops. Combining the two makes for one wicked mix!

Mensajes Wed 28 Apr 10 @ 9:21 am
kjdj99PRO InfinityMember since 2009
beatbreaker1 wrote :

The blocks will also through you off if the tempo of the song has a change. Like lead-ins.

Mensajes Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 8:40 pm
ted mitchell wrote :
what are some good mixers to use with video that The Crossfade works with virtual

While this isn't what this topic was about, I'll tell you what I like. I love my Korg Zero4. Basically you will just need a MIDI device and you can assign buttons and knobs as needed in VDJ.

As far as mixing with beat grid is concerned...It is nothing but another tool. If you are mixing music that was recorded from a live band, the speed of the song will usually change. The beat grid does not compensate for that. Since the people listening to your mix will use their ears, your mix should be done using your ears. Even looking at the waveforms can be deceiving. Learn the music basics like beats / measure and build from there. DJs are musicians. We have different instruments but we have to abide by the same basic rules if we want to sound good.

Mensajes Tue 04 May 10 @ 9:49 am
87%