Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: mp3 gain

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

in some thread here there was mentioned the usage of mp3gain, the free software the normalizes without loss the mp3 files, but not to maximum peak value but in the way all sound at the same loudness to the human ear.

What are your experiences with this software?

What values for target dB are you using ?

I just backed up my files to dvd and am finishing the process of saving the results of the analysis to files. Will try if it sounds better or if the differences between songs are still so big.
I decided not to store any UNDO information in files in order not to change the filesizes. BUt anyway i think i will be necessary to rescan all the files if I plan to use automatic gain, but i'm not sure...

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 4:22 pm
I mp3gain all my tracks at 92dB and am very happy with the results..

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 4:41 pm
I use in mp3gain 95db and then in VirtualDj -2 !!

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 5:39 pm
and what about clipping from my 4050 files I have 3 that are errornous
and about 20 that shows clipping even at -89 dB

ignore the clipping and leave them all at same level ?

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 5:49 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It is better if your extracting from cd's.., or dl'ing high quality files from reputable companys (paying), When I extract from cd's I just normalize, all mp3's extracted this way when encoded at 192kbps or more, or if you user VBR possibly lower should be just fine and dandy ;).

Noramally mp3's have clicks, and pops, hisses, when you use a bad encoder, always use LAME or equivelent.

Set the gain in vdj below -4, perhaps -5, turn the limiter off, and autogain on if you don't want to manually adjust, VDJ is normally fine, but the gain recognition could certainly be improved for the better, for this reason the trim or the gain on the mixer should be adjsuted if you detect any difference.

But it is better to keep gains lower than higher for quality reasons, so try to balance it out with the volume faders too.

Hope this helps, Bagpuss

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 6:01 pm
thanks bagpuss, i already recommended this to other users many times, am using most songs ripped directly from cd's with lame @192.
The thing i was asking was not about normalization to maximum but for the subjective loudness. (google for mp3gain and you will see there the detials)

Even if you use same software, every cd is mastered differently so some song sounds louder than others. The mp3gain software listens to your songs and show you how loud the file appears to the human ear, you have the option to losslessly change the volume of mp3.
This way you don't have to tweak with vdj gain for every song and can use my favourite -3db - -6db and always match

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 6:33 pm
> and what about clipping from my 4050 files I have 3
> that are errornous and about 20 that shows clipping
> even at -89 dB

re-rip the tracks which give errors, mp3gain will show a clip warning even if 1sample clips.. so unless it sounds bad don't worry..

Mensajes Tue 24 May 05 @ 11:06 pm
I've Used Mp3 gain for several years set to 92db.
MP3 gain is not a normalizer, a normalizer uses a peak value, mp3 uses an algerthym that determines average level as the ear perceives it.
I Rip to Wave and tidy up intros, outros, and hard limit (compress) slightly then convert to mp3 using lame 256CBR, run mp3 gain over the files checking for clipping after mp3 gain has altered the file.
Any clipped files I go back to the original wave file using Adobe Audition (or any audio editor) and reduce the dynamic range a little more reconvert these files to mp3 and run mp3 gain over it again, the clipped files should then be ok.

Mensajes Wed 25 May 05 @ 12:18 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have autogain disabled, because all my tracks are gain-adjusted before VDJ even sees them:

1) rip my vinyl (line-out of Stanton str8-80 w/ trackmaster thru Echo Indigo I/O line-in) or CD tracks using Audiograbber with Lame encoder at 192Kbps CBR joint stereo. I also use Audiograbber's normalizing for a first-pass gain adjust (acts on temp wav before mp3 encoding)

2) run the resulting mp3s through mp3gain set at 89db: this doesn't alter the soundbits at all, it just acts on the gain bit of each mp3 frame to normalize, and is undoable to get back to the exact same file if needed.

both those products are freeware, and I highly recommend them.

Nicolas

Mensajes Wed 25 May 05 @ 12:43 am
Thanks all for the suggestions,

one thing I am using for cutting directly the mp3s is mp3directcut

it's free and you can cut intro and outro, and fade out the song without loss. Very useful - you don't have to edit the wav and encode again.

Mensajes Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:47 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)