Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: Browser Improvement #2 - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
While in File info have a button to proceed to the next song, so you can process the next song on the list without having to click on the file and choosing the info option which saves three steps in this operation just to get to the next song and do an edit.

Being able to highlight several files and edit a info field would be a big leap forward, Like for an album edit with 18 songs, I'm getting tiired just thinking about it...

What Do You Think

Joey.....

Mensajes Thu 15 Apr 10 @ 5:45 pm
Personally I believe that all this kind of work is better to be done outside VDJ with a tag editor such as Tag & Rename. At least it's better this way until VirtualDj desides to write info back to id3 tags (which is not going to happen)

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 10:48 am
Yeah I know, but the reason behide this idea is that most of us spend alot of time on the browser then on the Tag program and spot things that need changing on the spot while its in front of you in a gig, instead of waiting till you get back home or forgetting about it at the end of the night.

You spend 4 to 6 solid hours on the browser at a gig and can spot and accomplish more there then in the Tag program.

Joey....

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 11:09 am
What I do is if I find an error I'll type it out in the search window and hit the "notes" button or whatever it's called so I can read it after the gig and make changes. For example I'll save something like "correct spelling of "Jmes Brown - The Big Payback", and then the next day I'll open the search log folder and see what I reminded myself to do and make the needed corrections.

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 1:02 pm
Thanks for that info, I also do this for music I don't have, but the fact still remains that this type of feature would be beneficial, if you had a correction that had to be done to an album with 18 songs just to genre let say, you would have to do 54 separate operations for this task, don't you think this is worthy of an Improvement?

Thanks,

Joey.....

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 1:33 pm

You're right, but as someone else previously mentioned, it's better to get into the the habit of editing ID3 tags outside of VDJ and then update the VDJ database with your new tag info. That way you can modify your tracks in bulk and have the ID3 tags read the same way no matter what program they're being used in (Serato, iTunes etc.), rather than putting all your track info in one virtual egg so to speak. If for some reason you lose our VDJ database or it becomes corrupt you'll still have all your ID3 tag info rather than the info being forever lost because you only made changes in the VDJ database. Having VDJ write to the ID3 tags has been requested for some time now and has yet to be implemented so you can either continue to wait for the feature to be implemented, or you can choose to use this workaround which will apply to more than just VDJ, your choice.

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 9:05 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Personally I believe that all this kind of work is better to be done outside VDJ with a tag editor such as Tag & Rename.

Except .vob files dn't have "tags" that can be edited.. and VDJ doesnt import windows media tags either..

Though I do agree that mass editing should be done externaly, but we need something that works COMPLETELY with VDJ..

Quote :
until VirtualDj desides to write info back to id3 tags (which is not going to happen)

now now... no need to be bitter. ;-)
it will happen, just dont know when

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 11:48 pm
I'm not bitter. I just say what I have read from official VirtualDj developers on other threads!

BTW: I always change my tags with a third-party application, and for files such as VOB I don't need more info than "Artist - Title"

However it might be a good thought to convert your VOB's to other formats that can have tags. Then you will be able to edit them and hold your info on the files themselfs, not a central database.

PS: VirtualDj is the 4th Dj'ing app I switched to the last 3 years!!! If I didn't had set my tags correctly and if I was relying on each Dj software to do the job for me then it wouldn't be possible to do this. Right now I'm using two Dj-ing apps. I'm using VDJ for Audio/Video gigs and another app for audio only gigs. For me the only way to keep my music organized is to have correct tags. That's why even if a DJ-ing program provides tag editing support I still use an external third-party application.

PS2: I'm not saying that your suggestion is bad. I'm just providing you some alternatives and some thoughts until your wish come true!

Mensajes Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 1:32 am
VOB Files - I kinda got thinking about this...

If you show hidden/system files in Windows for tracks that don't have embedded cover art, but you ask VDJ to retrieve, a hidden jpeg is created with the same name as the audio file but with a jpg extension eg. mysong.mp3 would get a mysong.mp3.jpg.

A similar approach could be taken with VOB's or any other format that does not retain metadata. For example:

mylatestvideo.vob would get a mylatestvideo.vob.mp3. This MP3 would be hidden and would only contain the meta data and should be readable by external apps like tag&rename...

This way if your database ever goes AWOL, you would at least have your vital info stored externally and/or a way to edit it outside of VDJ.

Just a thought,

Roy

Mensajes Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 5:09 am
Hi GadgetMan

Suppose what you described can be done and would work, what tool would you use to create the readable tag with?

Thanks

Joey....

Mensajes Mon 07 Jun 10 @ 1:07 pm
NTFS data streams would be a better option to link tags although both are 'messy'. One could put their vob files inside an mkv container but Virtual DJ doesn't not support the reading of mkv tags either..

edit:- I just tried muxing a vob file to an mp4 and tagging it, Virtual DJ was able to read it fine (note: the mp4 container does not support this configuration and software support is more of a fluke than anything else, so another non-solution).

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 10:48 am
Andrew87 wrote :
I just tried muxing a vob file to an mp4 and tagging it, Virtual DJ was able to read it fine (note: the mp4 container does not support this configuration and software support is more of a fluke than anything else, so another non-solution).

checking wikipedia and following the links..
ISO does say the MP4 container is backwards compatible to mpeg2 and mpeg1
http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/technologies/mpeg-4/mp04-ff/index.htm

since VOB is just a stricter standard of mpeg2, then renaming a .VOB to . MP4 should be ok..

it doesnt mean all video players will play it, but then some 'so called' mp4 players don't even play the actual h264 specs..

so i would say you found the solution!

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 1:23 pm
VOB and MP4 are just containers. The MP4 container can include MPEG2 video (which is what VOB uses) but the audio is largely unsupported; MP4 does not support AC3, MPEG or WAV audio streams. FFMpeg allows you to put these streams inside an MP4 file but it's not supposed to. I don't think renaming the files will work as Tag&Rename will still tag the file like a VOB file and Virtual DJ won't see the tags properly.

Demuxing a VOB file and remuxing it as an MP4 definitely does work with Virtual DJ - although I tested it with just one video. However, the resultant file isn't a valid MP4 file, e.g. it may not work in other software such as Windows Media Player.

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 2:03 pm
Well thanks for the helping hand to this dilemma I'm dealing with, I have thousands of vob and other media files that need to be entered into VDJ, but it's to much work and will take a long time to enter manually one at a time.

Right now I have (150) Vob Music Video files and need to add Genre and Album Info to each file.

Currently this process will take me 6 separate steps just to process 2 info fields "Genre" and "Album" in One file as an example.
If you take 6 steps per file as the above example, that would be a total of (903) separate steps, just to process (150) Vob files, That's a lot of time and effort.

Just having a "Next" button in the File Info Screen to advance to the next file will help.
If the "Next" file button was available, this one feature would cut this task down by (half)( 453) steps total.

Another way would be to highlight (150) files on the browser, right click to "Info" screen and add the "Genre" to that field all in One operation, then do the samething to the "Album" field in Five operations for five albums.

So this type of feature could reduce this hole process down to (6) operations.....

Thanks,
Joey....

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 2:20 pm
I can try and pull up the code for the metadata importer from a backup I created a while ago and add vob support if you like? It's over two years old though, I can't even remember what version of Virtual DJ was used at the time - whether it would still work I don't know.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/90129/Wishes_and_new_features/FLAC_Meta_data_support_through_VDJ.html

-edit- this wouldn't help unless the tags were already present in the main file.

A while ago I was working on a database tool but stopped development when I wasn't getting answers to questions I asked and saw JeremK was working on the same thing.

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 2:33 pm
Hi Andrew87

Yes, I remember JeremK was taking suggestions for the tool, but haven't seen anything yet.

Wish they would consider my suggestion it would benefit all in this area.

Thanks,

Joey

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 3:05 pm
I agree; the other browser improvement which I think should be there is being able to 1/2 or 2x the bpm of multiple tracks. Maybe the option to have polls on the forum would be a nice option as I'm sure many people have read and agreed with this but not posted.

(which has just given me an idea of a way to include polls.. off to work I go :))

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 3:39 pm
Yeh I've thought of that also, but there is no "Poll" feature in this forum like in others, I did suggest this idea a while back, but not enough responses I guess.

Joey...

Mensajes Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 4:19 pm
+1 poll

Mensajes Thu 10 Jun 10 @ 10:39 am
Indeed, better integration would be good as it would allow users to only vote once per poll...

Cheers,

Roy

Mensajes Fri 11 Jun 10 @ 7:33 am
80%