Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Need some help for 50's Swing Music

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I got a request for 50's Swing Music and need some suggestions for this type of music.

Thank You

Joey....

Mensajes Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 4:56 pm

Mensajes Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 6:20 pm
If you want classic big-band swing, check out Cab Calloway, Count Basie, and Louie Armstrong.

I often have better luck with more current swing bands, like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Brian Setzer Orchestra, and Royal Crown Revue. They have the same feel as the old bands, but modern recording techniques make them sound much better though your PA.

Mensajes Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 7:12 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
The problem you may find is that the "swing" of their era is now too fast for them to be throwing each other around the dance floor like it was WW2 again.

I recently got jammed by this, and the current swing edits such as Setzer, went the wrong way in a big way.
I tried 10 times to change the tempo and not even a head bob or foot tap, just conversations that couldn't be broken.

Now what you need to do is pump that room full of 02 first, then spike the punch with some 151 after they put their teeth back in following dinner.
Keep the 911 amalance number close by and ask that they turn down their hearing aids because the feed back and echo will be a problem.
Then stand back and light the fuse, its either gonna work or crash but either way its outa your control.

Mensajes Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 7:37 pm
Good point! Indigo Swing, Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers, Squirrel Nut Zippers are some more low-key swing bands that still knock out the old standards.

Mensajes Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 11:05 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Wow you guys are great, thanks for all this info, I really needed it couse I had no idea, The gig I'm doing tomorrow is a corporate event and I just got the list this afternoon, so I can tell you its a Big mix bag from Lady Gaga, Salsa, Merengue, Reggaeton, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Frank Sinatra, Coldplay, Nirvanna and the 50's swing Music. This will be a real challenge.

Is there a website I can purchase the swing music from, I won't have time to shop because sound check is at 2pm in the city and need to be on time..

Thanks for the help.

Joey...

Mensajes Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 11:38 pm
Try Junkyard Saints for a newer swing band -also 50's era is Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, etc.-the 50s was the rise of the "pop vocal" stars such as these.

Mensajes Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 8:43 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
jonwiderstrom wrote :
Try Junkyard Saints for a newer swing band -also 50's era is Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, etc.-the 50s was the rise of the "pop vocal" stars such as these.

Definetly. PLus
String Of Pearls - Glenn Miller
Pennsylvania 6 5000 - Glenn Miller
Moonglow - B Goodman
Stompin At The Savoy - B Goodman
Be Bop A Lu Lu - Brian Setzer (Newer but fast)

Mensajes Wed 11 Aug 10 @ 12:16 pm
I did a similar night a couple of years ago.

Everyone turned up in WW2 uniforms and at 12.30 am I put on a sound effect of an air raid siren warning with the sound of bombs dropping. I was using my big rig and they all got under the tables. It was hilarious.

They all enjoyed it.

Mensajes Thu 19 Aug 10 @ 4:20 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)