Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Bitrate? - Page: 3

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

MalekoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
lol :P

Ive never had any comments made with my 128 files hehe :P but i will encode at 192 in the future

(most my audiences are from ags 11-20)

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 2:50 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Maleko: If I were you, i'd wait for a nice quite sunday afternoon, and do the lot again, if you got the kinda space, it wouldn't hurt to go over 192kbps.

Trust me, this will help you in the future.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 2:56 pm
MalekoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
in all honesty i may just do it, re-encode them all.

-why ask for advice wen u dont take it from the pros :P so id better go do it!

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 3:00 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
If there is one thing that I understand it's that everything effects the end resulting sound.
The discussion here is bitrate, but don't forget your sound card.

I used an Extigy for years and the first time I heard a Waveterminal playing the same files my jaw dropped, I felt like a stupid cheap f'k that overlooked the most important thing.

The "shimmer" you hear at 128 is what I am talking about, its noticable, the sound quality will vary with cbr vs. vbr. It's not that I hear the quality lost, I hear the noise associated with 128.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 3:12 pm
The first time I did it, I was rather rash and ran into blindly, I had no knowledge of mp3, just that I should encode at 192kbps, I used an "Ejay" program to do it, I liked it because it was exceptionally quick, later I found out why, the whole high end was ruined, chirpy as hell.

So I re-enocoded after reading alot on the subject, now I have VBR's with LAME, 128min - 320 max, I may do it again soon and just go for 300kbps CBR and have done with it...

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 3:16 pm
True Rick, I use the soundcard onboard the hercules, and i'm really impressed with it, it beats the hel out of my onboard laptop card.

What do you guys think of the HDC sound card?.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 3:18 pm
If i convert my 128bit mp3s to 192 bits, will the quality improve? (i dont think it will)

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 3:48 pm
Which soundcard would anyone recommend as a reasonable yet Worth its price? External or Internal...anyone...just name it! i wanna buy one soon!

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 3:50 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Laptop guys, Maya 44, Giggaport, or the Echo Indigo usb powered or slot powered which in a power outage is going to keep you going on the battery without reboot to see the card.

Rack guys Waveterminal 192, there is a new one out not sure what the model is.

This BIG point is that you can go from shit to shinola for 50 bucks more, so why not?

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 4:04 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
LOL
you can put 3000 CD in Wav on an 200 gig Hard Drive.

wav = 1meg/minute

200 gig = 200'000 meg
with 1hour CD , it is 3333 CD
it is 138 days on non stop wav music

why use 128 bit mp3.

at least use the 320.

who REALLY need to reduce music

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 4:12 pm
correction mud-v: 200gig= 200x1024 megs=204800megs :)
Sorry...but accuracy is important...especially when u can put in more songs!

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 5:38 pm
Ive got about 5000 tracks @ 256CBR that Uses 32Gig compression is about 20% of wave, about the same as altrac used in orginal minidisk format.
Different encoders at the same bitrate also effects quality LAME is widely accepted as the best FRANHOFFER VBR for example suffered from Pre-echco in some builds.
Soundcards effect quality and maybe of importance to us Latency.
The end Quality is only as good as the weakest link, ever played in an old community hall which is in New Zealand a Rectanglur Box with Hard acoustically reflective surface.
This live environment creates excessive reverbation, sounding mushy and BAD!
The same system outside or in a carpeted room sound 1000% better, ever noticed the change in volume and tonal balance of an empty room compared to the same room with a few hundred people in it.
Volume of playback also effects tonal balance, our ears most sensitive to speach frequencies and less sensitive to bass and top end, as volume increases this effect increases giving us the impression of better bass at high volume (Fletcher Munsan / equal loudness curves).

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 7:04 pm
My final statement in this thread is simple (read my blog if you haven't already), and that is, if your a "proffesional" DJ, then consider 192 at CBR a good minimum, you may even go higher (which is only reccomended), but don't opt for lower than 192, not even 160, and certainly not 128, the only exception is the ABR of a VBR, in which case it's ok if it's ABR goes a bit below 192.

If your a DJ and just play in your bedroom to yourself and a few people, then 128 is fine, but personally I can't torlerate the sound, so if I were a complete bedroom DJ i'd encode at least at 192kbps.

Going from a WAV to 128kbps is a joke, look at the compression ratio, and MASSIVE file size reduction, and anyone who is really 'listening' should be able to tell a clear difference, more so for DJ's and people involved in audio production/sound engineers.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 9:57 pm
@djaditya

Converting from 128 to 192 does not give u better sound

You need to re-rip the files from original CDs to 192k to get better sound :)

and yes.. just to make my eariler point clear : BETTER bitrate is OF COURSE better quality! :)

Just have a few things in mind :
1. limitiations of the human ear
2. limitations on speaker system
3. limitations on soundcard
3. space for files
etc

192k is good enough for almost any user, playing on standard systems :)

Mensajes Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 11:28 pm
if i only get them in 128 quality i use steinberg wavelab and remaster it myself!works very good

Mensajes Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 1:03 am
Thats great information people! Great thread!

Mensajes Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 7:11 am
mud-v

wav = 1meg/minute

an error from your side probably

1second=44100 samples x 2 bytes per sample (16bit resolution) x 2 channels (stereo) x 60 seconds

unfortunately it's 10.09 megabyte per minute :-(

Mensajes Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 5:29 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
lopez453

true

its m'y fault

But generally , I encode at 320kb/s

;)

Mensajes Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 7:10 pm
Okay, I've ripped most of my CDs using a bitrate of 256 kbs.

I'd like to convert them to 192 kbs, which should free up some disc space.

Is there a simple way for me to do this using my existing mp3 files? A software solution perhaps or do I have to (shudder) re-rip all my cds again?

Holla!

Thanks,

Jude in Toronto

Mensajes Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 8:20 pm
Why would you wanna do do that?

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 4:15 am
94%