Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: How is 'keydiff' defined?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi!

The basic filter folder "Compatible songs" is set to "bpmdiff<=2 and keydiff=0" - which I expect to list all songs that are in the same key. However, the list shows songs in Am, Dm, Em - that are different keys to me, arent they? Isnt it "A minor", "D minor", ...?

However, if I add the column "keydiff", it says "0" for each song. So the query is correct and I'm wondering whether I simply misinterpret "keydiff"?

Best regards
MS

Mensajes Tue 19 Apr 11 @ 8:52 am
Nobody knows how keydiff works?

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 11 @ 10:05 pm
I think it might have a bug, I didn't respond because I thought I could be wrong, but I tried a few different combinations of keydiff=0, keydiff<=1, <2, >0, >1 >2 etc...

I couldn't make any sense of it, but you would think keydiff=0 would give you the same key, of the track you have selected, keydiff=<1 should give you above, same, below etc...

but again it didn't appear to work this way

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 11 @ 10:13 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The easier way to see how it works is to display the column "Key (Numeric)" in the VirtualDJ browser.

"KeyDiff=0" means harmonic-mixing (so same key or +/- 1 key (Numeric) ) [for minor key]

Mensajes Sat 23 Apr 11 @ 6:54 am
Thank you!

I'm no expert on harmony/concord etc, but do two tracks that have a 1-key-difference really go well together? For example Cm and Dm - that doesnt match, right? But VDJ is still saying "keydiff=0" in this case because it's just a 1-key-difference?

What do you mean by "for minor key"? How does it work for non-minor keys?

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 11 @ 8:56 pm
What I want to know is:

Why does VDJ give every song a minor key?

I mean absolutely every single song in my collection, no matter what style of music or what decade...

Jazz, pop, easy, soul, funk, rock, metal, reggae, 40, 90s.....

Now clearly there's something amiss here.

Not only because it's just ridiculous to assume that every song in existence is minor, but also because it means
that the 'compatible songs' feature is flawed.

Say for example that we choose a song that's 1A. Now that means we can use another song that's 12A, 1A, 2A or 1B (which VDJ would call 1A anyway!). That's fine, but what if the ACTUAL key of the song we pick is 12B or 2B?

That can happen, as VDJ is not showing us all 24 keys, only 12.

Atomix, please fix this.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 3:18 am
I think it's because 90% of the music it scans is minor... even with mixed in key when i used to use it, out of probably 10,000 tracks i put through it only 1 registered as Major... but if you listen you should be able to tell if its major, then just change the code which is just one capital letter away

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 4:53 am
Eh? ONE out of 10,000?

Just having a look at my MIK database now, I've got over 1000 12B, over 1000 11B, 1600 10B and so on.

Even the keys that don't have so many are coming up with around 500 songs.

This with MIK 4 by the way, on around 36,000 songs.

I reckon that's somewhere between 6 and 12 thousand 'B key' songs.

Based on your results, I should have 3 or 4!

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 5:48 am
i guess i just like sad music LOL, the one it got was chicago soulful house, it's gone now though, library is now full of moody building amazing music and i'd be surprised if i had a major track in there, but i'm not a mobile dj, and don't need happy music for the oldies, just powerful music for the kids...

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 6:01 am
Googling shows that this 'no major keys in Atomix world' issue has been raised on here many times before, over a THREE YEAR period - and yet nothing has changed!

Come on guys, major keys do exist!

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 6:44 am
Use your ears not your sight................its not that big of a deal or really as bad as you try to make it out to be. It's there as a base not to be depended on. That goes for any software really........

Your ears are your best tool, use em...
Huey

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 9:35 am
I do use my ears!

With VDJ it's a case of having to :-)

It's just a shame that they can't get it right (or don't want to).

It could even be seen as misleading - in the same way as BPM figures are only ever one number.

On many tracks (esp older or live music) BPM's vary - often a lot.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 10:16 am
Agree with yeah on the bpms, but some quick math and I'm on my way, lol!

Huey

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 10:38 am
.....and then there's songs that change key - plenty of those too!

Mensajes Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 3:56 pm
I key my tracks manually and about 20-30 percent of tracks are minor. Some are also in the 'greek modes', probably about 5-10 percent.

Its not just VDJ's fault. The most advanced keying software which the top DJs use is only about 70% accurate I think. I have found them to be only about 50% accurate. THeres a wiki out there which you can google which compares the accuracy of the various software.

Mensajes Sun 17 Jul 11 @ 9:45 pm
califauna wrote :
I key my tracks manually and about 20-30 percent of tracks are minor. Some are also in the 'greek modes', probably about 5-10 percent.

Its not just VDJ's fault. The most advanced keying software which the top DJs use is only about 70% accurate I think. I have found them to be only about 50% accurate. THeres a wiki out there which you can google which compares the accuracy of the various software.

THat was supposed to be: 20-30 are major, not minor.

Mensajes Mon 18 Jul 11 @ 5:41 am
HistyHome userMember since 2012
This is to do with the Camelot Wheel factor and helps with harmonic mixing. If your using the Key diff mix track with a key diff multiple of 2 but include 0. So if a tracks key diff is 0, 2, 4, 6 they should be fine 1,3,5 will not. You can also use the Key Numeric filter and a camelot wheel http://www.mixedinkey.com/HowTo
Cheers Histy

Mensajes Sun 30 Dec 12 @ 6:46 pm
I've just discovered this key diff column and am intrigued by it.
I've sat down and worked out how it assigns the numbers, by playing something in the key of C and then seeing which numbers it gave the other keys and marking them on the camelot wheel. Obviously the camelot safe keys all come up as 0 and then there is a definite pattern to the other numbers (have a look for yourself, it's very interesting)
What I would like to know is what do the numbers mean, I'm not a music theory expert so can't see anything myself. I agree what the previous guy said that the odd numbers clash and the even numbers don't but there must be more to it than that or else you'd only need 0, 1 & 2.
Will continue to lok into this myself but if anyone can save me some time I'd really appreciate it! :)

Mensajes Sat 16 Mar 13 @ 12:58 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)