Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Switching to virtual vinyl

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hey all. I have access to relatively cheap turn tables. I am curious the exact setup I need to make this work. Is it possible to use my VMS4.1 as the mixer? If I'm not mistaken, I need a serato or traktor sound card? What type of sound card would I need to continue using VDJ? If I get the setup to work, would I simply throw on any record and have it sync with what-ever mp3 is on virtual dj? Lastly- is it worth me spending $50-100 for a pair of good turn tables over buying CDJ's? Thanks

Here is an exmaple of a pair of turntables I can get -
"j neals"

Mensajes Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 7:03 pm
I'm pretty sure that you can't use the soundcard on the VMS4 to run timecode's as Heuy had problems with it a while back. That just means you will need an extra soundcard capable of running 2 stereo inputs and you could then use the inbuilt soundcard on the VMS4 for the output. the VMS4 as a mixer should work fine.

You can't use any old record you need a timecode record, there are many available but the one's I use are Serato CV02, but Traktor Mk1, and Numark Virtual Vinyl work aswell.

In regard to TT's Vs CDJ's that is up to you. IMO CDJ's are easier to use and they hold the beat better but turntables are much more fun to mix with.. Also you should take into consideration that if you use CDJ's with timecode the loop and cue functions don't control the software, for that reason I think if you want a static jogwheel you are better off using a dedicated midi controller that you can map to the software functions. the Pioneer DDJSX looks to be the winner of all things controller related and relatively inexpensive compared to buying a mixer, soundcard and CDJ's/TT's.

Those tables look pretty shoddy, I had one's that looked like that from pioneer as my first set of decks which had absolutely no torque so it was very hard to mix with... If you get tables either get Technics 1200 series or Super OEM's "stanton 150/120, American Audio HTD4.5 and about 10 other brands". Numark TT500 and TTX or Vestax 3000's are also a good option.

Mensajes Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 8:48 pm
synthet1c wrote :
I'm pretty sure that you can't use the soundcard on the VMS4 to run timecode's as Heuy had problems with it a while back. That just means you will need an extra soundcard capable of running 2 stereo inputs and you could then use the inbuilt soundcard on the VMS4 for the output. the VMS4 as a mixer should work fine.

-Could you send me an example of a sound card that would work?

You can't use any old record you need a timecode record, there are many available but the one's I use are Serato CV02, but Traktor Mk1, and Numark Virtual Vinyl work aswell.

- Does this, "timecord record", you speak of, come as a digital download or is it a pre mixed vinyl that you plop on the turn table?

In regard to TT's Vs CDJ's that is up to you. IMO CDJ's are easier to use and they hold the beat better but turntables are much more fun to mix with.. Also you should take into consideration that if you use CDJ's with timecode the loop and cue functions don't control the software, for that reason I think if you want a static jogwheel you are better off using a dedicated midi controller that you can map to the software functions. the Pioneer DDJSX looks to be the winner of all things controller related and relatively inexpensive compared to buying a mixer, soundcard and CDJ's/TT's.

- Wouldn't my VMS4.1 take control of the loops and cue functions? That would make sense, considering I only need the turn tables to scratch which ever deck it is mapped to.

Those tables look pretty shoddy, I had one's that looked like that from pioneer as my first set of decks which had absolutely no torque so it was very hard to mix with... If you get tables either get Technics 1200 series or Super OEM's "stanton 150/120, American Audio HTD4.5 and about 10 other brands". Numark TT500 and TTX or Vestax 3000's are also a good option.

-I have access to many other turntables as well. How about two numark tt200's? There are also a few more sets, although they all look similar to the first picture I posted.

Also, the whole reason I asked about turntables over CDj's is because I can get turntables for real cheap.

EDIT: all of my questions are inside your quote, corresponding to each detail you provided. And what CDJ can you reccemend to me? I have $500 towards guitar center right now, and am willing to throw down another $500 or so to make this happen. Thanks!

Mensajes Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 9:12 pm
What just crossed my mind was CDJ's would be way more beneficial if my computer were to crash, even though it's at the cost of a bit worse scratch sound. As far as cdjs go, these are what I've been looking at (I'm trying to stay with guitar center, due to I have $500 towards them) -

CDJ's:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gemini-CDJ-700-107884421-i2054913.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pioneer-CDJ-200-Pro-CD-Player-103110409-i1126130.gc
and if I end up spending a lot of money - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Denon-DN-S3700-Digital-Turntable-Media-Player-and-Controller-580348-i1473585.gc

All I want is a large jog wheel that spins as the song plays, be able to use effects, and have the traditional loops/cue etc be able to map.

Mixers:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-DDM4000-Pro-Digital-DJ-Mixer-104908025-i1391310.gc
and
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Denon-DN-X1100-4-Channel-DJ-Mixer-105332670-i1435758.gc
are in my price range. I don't NEED 4 channels, but I would prefer 4. Although I would rather go quality or channel quantity.

Mensajes Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 10:46 pm
Maybe look into the Stanton SCS1d. It's firewire, but macs have a firewire port I believe, then you get the best of both worlds.

Timecode vinyl is a normal record accept than instead of cutting it to make sound it is a code to tell software where the needle is. VDJ interprits this and plays an mp3 at the same speed and track position as the timecoded vinyl.

The best DJ soundcards IMO are the NI Audio series. I have an Audio 8.

If I were you I'd buy second hand.. maybe sell your gift certificate and hit up eBay for some bargins. I see the SCS1d go for $300 AUS a pair all the time.

Mensajes Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 4:50 am
That makes sense. I found a pair of denon 3500 cdjs with a 4 channel denon mixer, coffing case and wires. The asking price is $850. I heard the denon 3500s tend to over heat? Should i try these out?

Mensajes Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 9:06 am
I found denon DNS370's at guitar center for about $550 re-stocked. I have a feeling I may go with a pair of these.

Mensajes Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 10:09 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)