Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: HELP I7-3820 or I7-3970X

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJJAMMPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Dear , developers and hardware enthusiasts , with all of the tinkering around with the design of virtual , which of these 2 processors will perform with the lowest latency running virtual dj and video, using gtx 675mx video card 32 gig ram 1600-- these are my options
intel i7-3820 3.6-3.8 ghz 10mb l3 cache 4 core processor. or i7 3970x extreme 3.5 -4.0 ghz 15mb l3 cache 6 core processor...

The reason I am asking this is the difference in price is 700dollars and would virual dj use all 6 cores or is the i7-3820 sufficient
please if anyone has any honest technical info regarding why which processor to get, bottm line what processor will run virtual dj at the lowest latency

Sincerely DJ JAMM
yes im running video and running timecode and also numark ns7s and numark v7s
I also want to be ready when the next version comes out so i can properly run the software without a hiccup

thanks again

Mensajes Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 5:03 pm
Latency is related to the sound card you're using, not the CPU.

If you want low latency then you need to use an audio interface that has ASIO drivers.

Mensajes Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 5:42 pm
Sorry you are wrong there, yes it is related to the asio drivers, but processing power is everything when it comes to running lower latency.. what im concerned with is will vdj use all six cores of the extreme processor..
I really need some help deciding if a six core 3.5 ghz will run better than 4 core 3.6ghz , or will the 4 core processor run slightly better , computer nerds ( i dont mean that in a bad way) know the differnces between these processors and audio latency,

This is important to me because running the ns7 at 1ms latency with no audio drop outs also the platter is completely flawless running it with my current processor i7-960.. on a 3 year old laptop.. therfore im ready for a new machine my backup is done and if i get something else I would expect it to perfom better

JAMM

Mensajes Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 6:09 pm
If i'm not mistaken those I7 3820/3970 are server grade processors. They're overkill same goes with 32gb of ram (lol who needs that?). Either one won't make any difference in terms of djing/vjing. I'm running the NS7 & V7s as well on an I7 2.2ghz quad core 4gb mixing video at ultra asio which is the lowest latency.

PC/Mac/Intel enthusiast.

Mensajes Fri 15 Feb 13 @ 1:11 am
DJJAMM wrote :
processing power is everything when it comes to running lower latency

I disagree. I've been using computers for DJing and other audio work for decades.

Consider this: In 1993 I was using Cubase Audio on an Atari Falcon which had a 16MHz CPU. 16 tracks of audio!

The CPU in my phone is 20 times faster than that!

Mensajes Fri 15 Feb 13 @ 6:54 am
Well , I posted this to get an idea of honesty, about which processor would work best for the lowest possible latency not what some may precieve that i need and to attack me because, I made a very truthful comment about latency. That just tells me that seriously you have no idea what my question was and are not intersted in helping out, Its more technical than 3.5 ghz vs 3.6 ghz. I asked this question because, I need to get an idea of what processor will run better,and achieve the lowest latency between the two in refrence running Virtual Dj. As for my generalizing statement that latency is everthing.. let me clarify this much better.. Processing power is everything when it comes to running lower latency when all things are equal,. Therefore 2.2 ghz i7 process with same exacts specs will never achieve the latency of a 3.6ghz I7. However that was not my question, sorry if i offended you for asking a question and getting a joke for an answer. Obviously my question is mis-understood. I guess we are all experts these days

Can someone with computer processor and vdj knowledge (how it was written and actually works and would work with these 2 processors) please help.. I understand its not a simple question but there has to be someone who knows which of the two processors I mentioned 4 core or 6 core processor will work better. Also since technology is changing and a re-write is in the works what about which would be more future proof.

JAMM

Mensajes Sun 17 Feb 13 @ 11:56 pm
OK fair enough, if you choose not to believe what I'm saying...

As I already stated, I've been doing this (audio/recording studio/computers) for a very long time.

I know what I'm talking about. If I didn't, or was unsure - I'd say.

I'm not "attacking you", I'm stating facts. I'm not joking either.

You seem convinced otherwise, so I can't do any more than what I already have.

Anyway, if you believe that latency is directly related to CPU speed then choose the fastest CPU. You've answered your own question!

Mensajes Mon 18 Feb 13 @ 1:19 pm
FROM
http://www.planetoftunes.com/record/latency.htm

Latency solutions
Reduction
Optimise your system
Optimise your system by removing OS elements and applications which take up background CPU time. Consider moving to a Mac, OSX has a system layer called Core Audio which has been designed to facilitate audio processing.

Processing power
Buy the best CPU, DSP, DAC technology you can afford from companies who write the best and most efficient drivers. The more processing power you have, the lower the achievable latency. And if driver software has been well written this will help also. Apogee have some Apple Logic optimised hardware/software systems that claim to achieve very low latency, but they cost!

SO YOU SEE, WITH VIRTUAL DJ AND THE DRIVERS THAT ARE DESIGNED FOR THE DJ HARDWARE THAT WE HAVE AND THOSE ARE AS GOOD AS THE DRIVERS GET AT LEAST UNTIL THE MANUFACTURE UPDATES THEM. (HENCE MY PROBLEM WITH DENON ASIO DRIVERS VS THE PIONEER ASIO DRIVERS WHICH WORK BETTER FOR ME ON ALL OF MY COMPUTERS AND BTW I LOVE DENON PRODUCTS, JUST WISH THEY TOOK MORE TIME ON THEIR DRIVERS)

NOW I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE MANY FACTORS AFFECTING LATENCY, IM TRYING TO MAKE A DECISION ABOUT A NOTEBOOK AND PROCESSOR OPTION, THAT WITH ALL THINGS EQUAL , WHICH PROCESSOR WILL RUN THE LOWEST LATENCY , PLEASE UNDERSTAND, THIS IS MY QUESTION, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR COMPUTER AND YOU R HARDWARE AND DRIVERS, THAT iS WHY i WAS GENERALIZING.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS , MY COMPUTER IS STUCK ON CAPS, KEYBOARD IS HOSED, NOT MINE NOT HOME , NOT AT WORK..

OK SO HERE IS MY QUESTION ONCE AGAIN
AN I7 3820 IS A FOUR CORE PROCESSOR THAT RUNS AT A STOCK 3.6 MHZ 10M CACHE
AN I7 3970X IS A SIX CORE PROCESSOR THAT RUNS AT A STOCK 3.5 MHZ 15M CACHE

IN TODAYS WORLD WHAT PROCESSOR WOULD ACHIEVE LOWEST LATENCY ALL THINGS CONSIDERED EQUAL EXCEPT THE PROCESSOR, RUNNING VIRTUAL DJ, WHY ? BECAUSE i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ?

THANKS

DJ JAMM

just found this plz take a look guys
http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

Mensajes Tue 19 Feb 13 @ 8:35 pm
How many more times are you going to ask the same thing over and over???

If you truly believe that your latency will improve with a slightly faster CPU then go for it - get the faster one.

You seem convinced it'll help, so why are you asking?

BTW I just checked out the original unedited text from that planetoftunes site.

It's referring specifically to DAW software, which contains software instruments that use CPU to create the sound. Those delays do not occur in DJ software because there are no software instruments.

Mensajes Wed 20 Feb 13 @ 8:41 am
Groovin, back off already, dam!! You've already said what you needed and he doesn't want your help. Leave the man alone already your just starting to repeat yourself. You don't always have to have the last word.............

Mensajes Thu 21 Feb 13 @ 6:58 am
In my personal experience, latency problems ARE NOT associated with the speed of the processor. There are many variables as to whether Asio will work or not, and it's very hit or miss. The architecture of how the PC is put together, the capabilities of the sound card and the actual Asio drivers you are using seem to make more of a difference.

For example I have one machine with a Celeron 900 running VDJ with Denon Asio drivers perfectly. On the other hand I have another machine with a top end i5 which I just cannot get Asio to run crackle free at all.

Hope this helps with your question.

Keith

Mensajes Thu 21 Feb 13 @ 12:24 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)