Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Completely new

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ZenOpsHome userMember since 2015
I've searched for sometime now on mixing platforms and everything points to Virtual DJ for beginners is the best way to go. I've actually have not downloaded anything yet. About myself, I'm 66 and I really want to try this, how hard is it to learn the software. My goals are simple, learn how to mix, and create music for my son and daughter who like this sort of music, and myself of course.
Sincerely & Respectfully
Brian G.

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:19 am
Hi Brian, welcome on board.
My first tip is "always read the instructions first" even if you choose not to use them.
regards
ray

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:23 am
Thank you raypitman I do plan on making a serious attempt at this and that of course would be reading the instructions. I'm pretty close to downloading this as a trial, if the software is easy, well at my age money is not a problem. If I can prove to myself this is easy enough [not including artistic skills :)] I would like to get my son into this, since he lives and breaths music, but always comments how he would do it better. I enjoy music almost as much as my son, my hopes this is something we can do together.

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:30 am
We are all here to help. I'm no spring chicken myself!

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:37 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
It depends if you want to perform the mix live really. VDJ is great if you want to perform and record it live. However there may be an easier solution to just make a recorded mix.

I hate to steer you away from VDJ because I love the program. But I have had pretty good luck with Mixed in Key's "Mashup" program. It is more of an audio editor and it automates the beat mixing part. Easier than learning everything the software and skills if you don't intend to use them in some kind of performance (Recorded or live).

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:41 am
Thank you for that information DHoude I'll look into "Mashup". My instincts tells me to stict with VDJ for the simple reason, my son would like to DJ at one point in his life. For myself if I did a live performance for MY age group you would only see everyone with one hand in the air, the other would be holding onto they're walkers :)

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 7:56 am
@ Brian
as far as I'm aware you can download the free version of VDJ8 and test it out using the mouse and keyboard to control it. Using a "controller" is much more fun, but you could progress to that later ;)
Do you have any music files, mp3's or so?

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 8:08 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
ZenOps wrote :
Thank you for that information DHoude I'll look into "Mashup". My instincts tells me to stict with VDJ for the simple reason, my son would like to DJ at one point in his life. For myself if I did a live performance for MY age group you would only see everyone with one hand in the air, the other would be holding onto they're walkers :)

Thats the spirit! Well I can't say I blame you. You are in the right place if that is the goal.

Check out the "Mix Lessons" section of the forum and this link http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/6288/Mix_lessons/DJ_MIXING___basic_-_advanced_-_pro.html should get you started.

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 8:42 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Hi ZenOps
you are correct with your research that VDJ is friendlier to people new to the dj game, but don't think it's just a beginners software, of all the softwares out there VDJ is the most adaptable, open and highly technical IF you care to experiment. Most people don't and still get along quite happily with VDJ.

How hard is it to learn? For a (vinyl) DJ not very hard, for someone completely new, I'll be honest, you have a lot to take in but this would be true for any software. I'd think with a couple of hours of practice with a limited selection of tracks (3 or 4, all the same genre, of a similar tempo, try avoid human drummer tracks to start with) you should be able to start to not sound terrible, (I'm being honest, I practiced for hours and hours with vinyl to just sound not terrible, 15 years later I've almost cracked it :-) )

Again being honest, mixing with the mouse is clumsy, it can be done very well with mouse+keyboard but that starts creeping into technical stuff that would be information overload for a new user. Have a try with the mouse, then the next stage is a cheap controller. Most importantly the forum is the best source of info, second only to having someone who really knows VDJ popping round for a cup of tea.

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 8:53 am
locodog wrote :
popping round for a cup of tea.

I'm not averse to that idea. Canada's a bit of a trek though. :-)

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 9:02 am
Hi Brian,
Download the free version and have a play with it. The people on this forum are really helpful and know their stuff, and will always help you if you get stuck.

VDJ is great for starting out, and will grow with you as you become more familiar with it.

Mensajes Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 1:29 pm
First, I would like to thank everyone for they're helpful input. I've downloaded the free version of VDJ, and I've been having a blast with it as time premits between two jobs. I see there is a long road ahead of me to master this, though I think it's safe to say I will be buying this for sure. Even if I, myself never produce a complete piece of music, I've been having a time of my life going over this with my son. Which I'm proud to say, first time out, he already has an awesome 47 second, piece, put together, and I'm looking forward to see where he takes this. I've recommended to my son to sign up here. I'm logging off now, got only 23 minutes left to play with VDJ before I need to get ready for my next job.
Sincerely & Respectfully
Brian.

Mensajes Sun 08 Feb 15 @ 1:41 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)