Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: creativity - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ss2274Home userMember since 2015
I'm still trying to find myself with dj'ing. Can you guys give me some suggestions on how to be creative with my mixes?

Mensajes Tue 25 Aug 15 @ 10:26 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Mix genres, use loops use 4 decks

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 12:13 pm
he,he yeah,listen to other djs ...pick things that like and mix them together to make your own style...practice your timing also...start slow ,and work your speed a bit at a time...

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 12:23 pm
Find the type of music you want to play, go to a venue and listen.

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 3:47 pm
I tell my students this "deejaying is a full contact sport, you have to dive in head first and just go for it".

Your gonna mess up and sound like sh*t sometimes, your gonna get frustrated at times and wanna quit but never give up!!

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 4:11 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I don't get much time to be creative.

Things happen when your working, sometimes you make a mistake, yet it sounds good.
Remember!
Mess around with your equipment at home.
Accidents are often the father of creation.
Don't try to mechanically construct creativity, just don't miss it when it happens in front of your face.
Use ideas, anyone can have a good idea, think, and then implement.

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 9:16 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
beatbreaker1 wrote :
I tell my students this "deejaying is a full contact sport, you have to dive in head first and just go for it".

Your gonna mess up and sound like shit sometimes, your gonna get frustrated at times and wanna quit but never give up!!

Two true, if you don't make mistakes you aren't pushing the limits * that said some nites don't warrant "full throttle" but always playing it safe is the height of mediocrity.

further tip dig into history, old techno might seem basic but that simplicity favours well to multideck mixes.

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 11:09 pm
"old techno might seem basic but that simplicity favours well to multideck mixes."...fundementals my dear watson.true...kids now a days dont go to were it began.same with the guitar or other instrument or genre...

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 11:15 pm
HipstaControlleristMember since 2015
Study some percussion and a bit of basic music theory. VDJ displays both bpm and key; you can do a lot of interesting things if you know how to change keys while beat-mixing.

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 15 @ 2:44 am
true...but let me ask you something,are you real?.you dont even have any history in you homepage.and I seem to recall the same words from someone here who dont even know what a the heck...but pops up everytime I made a comment.funnty mods have the ability to open new logs under new names.if you dont want to be mistaken by one of those,why dont you put something in your space,heck...be the picture of your pet dog...:) just kidding....

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 15 @ 6:35 am
"playing it safe is the height of mediocrity"

Hm occasionally I have seen thick, drunken, drugged up audiences who would not be impressed by a return from the grave performance by Elvis.
These are rare in my world, but when encountered bland mediocrity is fine.
They will not appreciate your best efforts, and will savage your mistakes.
Mind you, I think I'm past caring.
Beware, watch your audience young DJ's.

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 15 @ 12:24 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
@bigron1

agree with you.

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 15 @ 1:05 pm
have you played with the remix mode? there is a video about it on youtube.. changed a few things in my world.. now adding effects to samples is next... while in remix mode.

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 15 @ 9:07 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itjVvWl2W0

There a bit good.
I looked at the above tutorial before getting my F1.
Around last Xmas I dismissed them as little more than cue points.
On my decks I only have 3 buttons which I use for cue points.
I see now I can easily have "super cue points" (and loads of them) controlled by my F1.
Wow.

Thanks.

Update: I've just spent 30min hopping around Uptown Funk. It takes time, but so much is possible....it could take a couple of hours to properly set the remix points, then a few more to perfect there use on just one song. I have 16 main pads on my F1 ! That being said maybe 20-30 heavily analysed important songs is enough.

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 15 @ 11:27 pm
I dont like how VDJ has setup the whole remix points. I just use cue points and call it good.

Now to the OP here's a video of Laidback Luke talking about dj-ing and he covers a lot of ground which might help you out or anyone else for that matter.

Enjoy

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 1:57 pm
Beatbreaker how many cue points do you use?

I find 3 too few.
I think my ideal number is about 5 or 6.
The question is how do I control them?
Atomix by allowing the converting of the sampler to remix mode has offered a clever solution.
Also I now have proper pads, not just little buttons.

Our world is changing very fast.

It is interesting that Luke was talking about matching tribal drums.
Given today's technology we can remove those drums, and replace them with our own.
We are increasingly becoming live producers/dj's.

The young geniuses will soon be appearing.

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 5:56 pm
I use a DDJ SP1 and DjDad hooked up my mapping so I have a total of 16 cue points at my finger tips.

So I use the first 8 just as basic cues and the other 8 as remix cues.

And you have to remember Luke doesn't use a laptop like I do, he uses his to prepare his tracks and then loads everything on a thumb drive.

I never used to really like Pioneer but after playing on Pioneer equipment this past year I really dont need to use programs like VDJ, Serato or Traktor unless I'm doing video and even then they have a solution for that (quite spendy and out of production). And that's not a dig at any software its just my experience.

I still have a lot to learn myself, lol!! But like he said you should always push your own limits and then some......

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 7:18 pm
yes...16 is what I need but only get 8 pads on my numark NV. I imagine there's a code to mimic bank A/B switching? so I can have 8 x 2 ?

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 8:29 pm
good video btw "Beat" but an hour long? but "Luke" is one of the most "well spoken" guys out there.I think the thing to capture here is the fact that he listened and studied other dj's techniques and that is important,now many people starting would just want to dive in and ask this question,and I'm like thinking "well how much do you know? who are you're influences? who do you listen to? and this are important phases in order to learn/teach an Art....

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 9:03 pm
ss2274Home userMember since 2015
interesting, now these remix points and strikes my interest, so now im thinking i need another controller in addition to my mixtrack3....any suggestions on what i should get?

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 11:39 pm
74%