Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Looking to Purchase a new laptop

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I've been using a Lenovo with Windows XP, Dual Celeron processors for 9 years now. I haven't updated to VDJ 8 still because the computer will not handle it. I am thinking of purchasing a new laptop and my budget is around $800.00. Any recommendations? I only use this laptop for dj'ing with VDJ and about average 40 gigs a year. As you can see my pc laptops are well taken care of and will last me years. I want something new that will be able to last a long time as well.

Mensajes Sat 10 Feb 18 @ 4:36 pm
I would suggest a new laptop that costs $800.

In other words, anything new will be able to handle VDJ 8. I've installed and run VDJ 8 on at least two old XP laptops and it's worked just fine, so current machines won't have any problems running it.

Mensajes Sat 10 Feb 18 @ 9:06 pm
Also, if it's new, we don't know how long they will last. I can tell you now, that the reliability of any new product, is not going to be like the older machines. I am looking for a new ASUS, and the reviews of the new machines is not exactly what I want to hear.

Mensajes Sat 10 Feb 18 @ 9:14 pm
I would go middle of the road spec wise , i have had no problems running intel i3 with 4gog of ram, but my current gig machine is i5 with 8gig, with hull hd 17inch screen.

I would normally say stick to a good brand name , but these days all manufactures seem to be doing things on the cheap , the HP that i currently use is not sparkling build quality wise...

Mensajes Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 8:06 pm
There is an alternative route you could take. I bought a refurbished Dell Lattitude E5410 online. It came with an i5 chip. 8Gb memory and a 250Gb SSd for speed. They gave me an RTB warranty of 6 months and it was a cheap £149.00, post free.
Its dedicated to VDJ and performs very well, mainly thanks to the SSd I would think.
It came in near perfect condition and had a bonus of an extended battery.
Its worth a look down that road....

Mensajes Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 8:48 pm
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward a brand new Lenovo Y520, i5, 8GB RAM with 1TB hard drive.

Mensajes Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 9:41 pm
Yes, a gaming laptop should do just fine. The ASUS ROG range is popular with DJs.

Mensajes Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 10:20 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Keep in mind that not all i7, i5, i3 were created for the same purpose. Some use little power..but are very slow. Hence use a cpu benchmark website to assess the true power of the laptop. A dj is not normally concerned with long battery life since we are usually connected to mains power.

Mensajes Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 12:55 am
enos03Home userMember since 2018

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 7:30 am

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 9:13 am
Interestingly that the people who have made recommendations have no idea what you want to do.except run VDJ. If you assume just audio then their recommendations are probably fine.

When you want something long lasting. The electronics are very good and tend to have a long life. Laptops though are subject to high heat all the time and I would expect that to have an impact. With that aside, to me long life means ability to be an effective machine for the years to come running whatever comes up. To me also is the ability to add or repair components easily. Best way to assure that is to buy a tower or desktop and not a laptop. Not trying to convince you though.

For 800 dollars I could buy a tower computer that would scream most any laptop and I would be using some refurbished and some new like GPU. Video is another thing. Most people don't know how to rate that because it is not easy but it is easy to show you. Bottom line is you can listen to others but don't buy based on that alone. Do you home work and get passmarks for CPU and GPU. Once you know that, buy the most bad ass thing you can afford and that can last for years unless you have hardware failures that you cannot easily repair. Buying less may mean you are buying again as your needs increase etc.

https://www.passmark.com/

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 5:00 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)