Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: ONLOAD as new POI-Type - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi!

The skin has the <onload>-element.
I can imagine a pretty useful feature if this was a 'POI' in the tracks.
(So not actually a certain POINT inside the song, but it could be listed in the POI-Types for example.)

So let me explain:
We all have songs we are plaing every time, and always do the same things, or need the same setting over and over again.
Now, choosing ONLOAD in the POI editor lets you program this special behaviour / syntax / setting
you want to set / use / load for this song.
(I guess this is what 'load_deck_set' is meant for, but you have to load it manually.)
But not only the deck_sets could be loaded...
This could do literally everthing other action-poi's could do, or even every button...
Except that you don't have to do it manually every time!

e.g.:
I know (by loading that certain song) that I want to set my hotcueMode to 'stutter',
choose 'echo' in the first slot and turn off 'smart_cue'.
Instead of doing all of this manually and waste a lot of time,
I could program it into the song (!!!), so it would all happen automatically (!!!!!!!!!)

And to be perfect, we should add an 'OnUnLoad'-option
(to redo all this settings, or to set other things by UN-loading the track).
So choosing the ONLOAD-POI shows 2 fields beside: The first is ON-load and the second is on-UNload.
Program what you want in the first field, and what you want in the second.
And by loading the track things will happen, and by unloading the song this things could be reversed if you want to,
or other things could be programed because of any reason.

This sound revolutionary to me...
So hands down, PLEASE DO IT!

THANK YOU!

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 2:47 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 5:22 am
Nicotux wrote :

Please do me a favor and READ PROPERLY!!!

I even mention the Action-POIs in my description!
But NO, I don't mean the same!
I know what Action-POIs do, and I don't mean to reach a certain point to execute functions...
I mean to execute functions as soon as the song gets LOADED!
And the same thing by UNLOADING the song!
These are things Action-POIs are not able to!

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 8:53 am
....but surely setting things this way is only necessary if you're going to actually play the track?

I don't see the point in doing it if/when the track is only loaded. You need those things when it's playing, right?

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 11:26 am
groovindj wrote :
....but surely setting things this way is only necessary if you're going to actually play the track?

I don't see the point in doing it if/when the track is only loaded. You need those things when it's playing, right?

Somehow I think you didn't read it properly as well...
I thought about that, too...
And therefore you would have the On-UN-LOAD-function.
So load the song, things will set up, unload it and the things you programmed into the On-UN-LOAD-function will be executed.
No matter if you play the song or not, as soon as you unload the song the things you programmed into the On-UN-LOAD-function will do their thing.

There is no logical problem except of programming something wrong (which could happen everywhere inside VDJ).
Please read it carefully!

And your even are a long member of VDJ with 5 stars who is skinning since 2014. You should have heard about the onload-function inside the skin... or the controller-mappers... You can compare it with <oninit> & <onexit>.
Just transmit it to every single song!

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 11:39 am
No, I read it correctly...

You didn't answer my question. You need these things to happen if/when you play the track, not if it's just sitting there in a deck. Yes?

Therefore, all you do is (as Nicotux said) insert your POIs to turn on X or Y at the beginning of the track, then off again at the point where it's no longer required, when (or before) it reaches the end.

Myself, I don't use any of this automation stuff. I DJ manually (maybe because I started with vinyl in the 70s).

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 11:58 am
groovindj wrote :
No, I read it correctly...

You didn't answer my question. You need these things to happen if/when you play the track, not if it's just sitting there in a deck. Yes?

Therefore, all you do is (as Nicotux said) insert your POIs to turn on X or Y at the beginning of the track, then off again at the point where it's no longer required, when (or before) it reaches the end.

Myself, I don't use any of this automation stuff. I DJ manually (maybe because I started with vinyl in the 70s).

So then I didn't understand your question correctly.
To answer your question:
NO, I dont need the settings only on a certain position of the song.
I use the action-poi extensively and I know what they do and what they are capable of.
But they don't give me the ability to set some settings I need before the song starts, because it always has to reach a certain point (by playing the song) to execute its functions.
But what about the settings that have to made even before the song can be played?
Or what about unloading the track before this special action-poi is reached that reverses my settings?

Just think of the deck_sets.
This is exactly what they do!
But why loading deck_sets manually if you could customize it for every single song and let it happen automatically, AND even can let it redo the settings automatically?
Please give this idea to someone who works or uses automation-things and can imagine the potential of this feature, if you have the opportunity.
Let's see what they think about...
From the same reason it is neccessary in the skin, it's also more than great and revolutionary in every song!

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 12:12 pm
According to the script page in the wiki, a deck_set is just "which song is loaded on which deck" - nothing to do with turning things on or off.

Please give an example, which settings need to be made before the track plays?

You said earlier that this is for tracks that you always play, when you "always do the same things" - so stopping the track before it reaches the "reset" POI would not happen, because you would place it at the point where you no longer need those settings, and the track would always reach that point (because you're always doing the same thing).

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 12:26 pm
groovindj wrote :
According to the script page in the wiki, a deck_set is just "which song is loaded on which deck" - nothing to do with turning things on or off.

Please give an example, which settings need to be made before the track plays?

You said earlier that this is for tracks that you always play, when you "always do the same things" - so stopping the track before it reaches the "reset" POI would not happen, because you would place it at the point where you no longer need those settings, and the track would always reach that point (because you're always doing the same thing).

I thought I've read something about the deck_sets where they also load settings of the decks.
But that is not so important, you get the point - that's what matters.

For example the different quantize and synchronization settings.
e.g. Smart_play (and all the functions related to the play or pause status of the deck) would be neccessary to be set before the deck gets started.
Also the hotcueMode.
Or hiding the songs informations.
Opening the saved_loops pad_page.
Activating a panel in the skin.
Or changing the EQ frequency.
[ I also have a 'poi_actions' variable, that allows me to turn poi-actions on or off (I have been told in this forum to program it for myself, but this switch would not be neccessary in general - which I think is also not right) ].

But you get hung up on a specific example of one or two settings... Please don't think like that...
This function is targeted to the always reappearing mass of settings that have to be made over and over again for a growing number of songs.
It could be a big timesaver...

And you know for yourself that you may do some stuff with loops, cuepoints, toneplay-things or something else during the song, but you may not know when you are going to do it - depending on your audience.
Some like oldschool-music and some don't...
Sometimes you can play the song longer and sometimes not... Or maybe you realize that a song is not the right one and you need to interrupt it earlier.
This is why I mean this idea to be INDEPENDENT from every point and every time in the song.
It should just be a setting of the song itself!

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 12:52 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I get it, oninit & onexit for a track, I've had a need for this in the past.
controllers, skins, fx have it so it's not that crazy to want it with tracks [actually I'd like the same with padpages too]
It's a bit niche, but that's what the wishes forum is for. And really it's only 2 new fields in the database.
A APOI will cover most cases for oninit [load point] but not all, and when you're using this level of automation [the machine saving you work] then you can't be second guessing.
onexit however currently would have to be a fiendish script, it could be argued that onexit is not needed as you're just about to load another track and that has onint.
but that would make work having to have a oninit entry for every track as opposed to, just having oninit/onexit for special tracks
so yeah I see it.

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 1:43 pm
I think i got your point
A specific deck setting - effects filters loops gain pitch ... for a specific song
but this is not really POI related

Maybe it can be implemented as an extra action after loading a file load an existing "extended" deck set with same name
in the style of what feature was existing in old midifile players for midifiles not having specific config and needed specific settings
or with mp3 loading as karaoke if same name CDG exists

Currently trying to use field1 & field2 as script can simulate this by the help of Builder plugin

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 1:44 pm
Lol ... locodog always the fastest

I have a point : OnUnload script for the last track and OnLoad for next one may conflict with a single deck automix
How would you handle this situation ?

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 1:51 pm
locodog wrote :
I get it, oninit & onexit for a track, I've had a need for this in the past.
controllers, skins, fx have it so it's not that crazy to want it with tracks [actually I'd like the same with padpages too]
It's a bit niche, but that's what the wishes forum is for. And really it's only 2 new fields in the database.
A APOI will cover most cases for oninit [load point] but not all, and when you're using this level of automation [the machine saving you work] then you can't be second guessing.
onexit however currently would have to be a fiendish script, it could be argued that onexit is not needed as you're just about to load another track and that has onint.
but that would make work having to have a oninit entry for every track as opposed to, just having oninit/onexit for special tracks
so yeah I see it.

Oh yes!
Thankfully someone gets it on point!

I see no troubling interference with oninit and onexit in connection with different tracks as the oninit is meant to 'load' settings and the onexit could and should be used to reverse these settings...
If the next song has a similar oninit the worst thing that could happen is that settings get disabled and enabled back again in a matter of seconds.

(But to avoid source-code-internal problems the procedures should be structured cleanly... first unload, and finish everything regarding to this, and then start the loading process and everything regarding to the load process. But I guess this is elementary and should already exist for other behaviours e.g. resetOnLoad etc.)

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 1:58 pm
Nicotux wrote :
I have a point : OnUnload script for the last track and OnLoad for next one may conflict with a single deck automix

In that case you'd use a variable to indicate your settings profile on oninit, the onexit would check if the variable is what it thinks it should and if yes do the onexit stuff, if no then the other track has already handled it

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 2:02 pm
Nicotux wrote :
Lol ... locodog always the fastest

Since no one works actively in the software during automatic is running, the onload/on-unloud feature of the tracks could be disabled completely.
It's clear that there have to be some drawbacks somewhere...
But therefore it's a huge advantage during the regular use... And you want a software like VDJ to work with, not to let it automix only.

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 2:09 pm
A bit niche? You can say that again! :-)

andy-chiles wrote :

mass of settings that have to be made over and over again for a growing number of songs

Really? I don't know how you DJ, but I've never needed a "mass of settings" for even one song when I play out, and that's been many decades.

It's not that I don't "get it", it's more that I don't see the point. IMO I'm the DJ, not the software. If I need/want to change a setting, I'll do it on the fly. :-/

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 2:10 pm
groovindj wrote :

Really? I don't know how he DJ's, ....
It's not that I don't "get it", it's more that I don't see the point. IMO I'm the DJ, not the software. If I need/want to change a setting, I'll do it on the fly. :-/

You're arguing your work flow against an unknown, the machine gives us options, the machine is supposed to save work from the menial stuff, freeing up the performer to perform.
Live bands have guitars tuned up for certain tracks, which is in a way oninit, if we used your thinking half a live gig would be listening to the lead retuning

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 3:04 pm
Nicotux wrote :
I think i got your point
A specific deck setting - effects filters loops gain pitch ... for a specific song
but this is not really POI related

Maybe it can be implemented as an extra action after loading a file load an existing "extended" deck set with same name
in the style of what feature was existing in old midifile players for midifiles not having specific config and needed specific settings
or with mp3 loading as karaoke if same name CDG exists

Currently trying to use field1 & field2 as script can simulate this by the help of Builder plugin

Sorry forgot to answer that one.
Yes, you are right, it is not directly POI-related. But I think it makes the most sense there even if this is not a actual POI.
The next option would be the tag editor (which I thought about too, but it also isn't tag-related) or an own/new editor especially for this two functions (which would be a bit too much).
So I thought the poi-editor should be the right place, since there happen things initiated from the song itself as in the action-poi.

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 3:32 pm
groovindj wrote :
A bit niche? You can say that again! :-)

andy-chiles wrote :

mass of settings that have to be made over and over again for a growing number of songs

Really? I don't know how you DJ, but I've never needed a "mass of settings" for even one song when I play out, and that's been many decades.

It's ok if you have another workflow...
Everyone does. But as you start to use automations more extensively you get to a point where these automations miss their target and have to be disabled therefore.
And this mostly means going to your mouse-pad, locate the mouse in first place, then do several clicks for maybe 2 or 3 settings or even more... and that costs time.
It's not that 'mass' of settings by a larger number...
It's clicking in the skin for maybe 10 seconds to find the right settings and interrupt the actual workflow on the decks.

Just as locodog said:
Tuning the guitar for every song costs time.
Just grab another one which is ready and go for your creativity.

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 3:38 pm
FYI I just experimented with deck_set and it stores the loaded song (filepath), volume, position, gain and pitch.

I guess this could be expanded to store more settings, and then loaded automatically. It could just unload by default and reset whatever it did.

Mensajes Thu 25 Jul 19 @ 4:07 pm
71%