Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: How do I sync a track so that its tempo / pitch is half or double the detected bpm?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Some of my tracks I want to play back at a slower tempo (half the bpm) of what they're automatically synced at (I have pitch lock and master tempo enabled). I've tried halving the BPM in the editor, but not only does that not work, but it doubles the space between beats in the song - that's a definite no-no as I'm doing a mix of exclusively 3/4 tracks - that means I won't be able to create loops or cue points correctly. Range is at 100% and I'd rather not deviate from this.

So as an example - I have a song (A) at 156 bpm and another song (B) at 140 bpm. When I sync (B) with (A), the default behaviour is to increase the pitch by +11.4. I want to be able to force the song to play back at 78 bpm (around -43%) when I sync the track, but at the moment when I hit sync, it jumps to +11.4 no matter what the current state of the pitch is.

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 8:32 pm
If you want it at -43% then set the pitch range to 50%, pull the pitch fader down to -43% then mix the track in. Don't use sync.

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 8:39 pm
SYNC will try to match the BPM of the other deck by altering the pitch/tempo as less as possible.
That's why it jumps to +11% instead of jumping to -43%

However, it takes into account it's current position, not the original speed.
Therefore if you move the pitch/tempo slider and you lower the tempo somewhere around the 70-80 BPM area and you hit sync it will sync at 78 BPM, not 156 (since the difference from the current position to 78 is much less that reaching 156)

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 8:55 pm
Cheers for the quick response guys.

I have tried not using sync, but the method you describe means having to disable pitch lock, and also means that the tempo of the tracks often will not match exactly. I don't mind temporarily disabling pitch lock but when re-enabled, if the pitch is off even by a little, this means that the songs will go out of sync.

I was able to use SYNC utilizing the technique PhantomDeejay described, but it doesn't seem to work in all cases - at the moment I can have the pitch close to the exact percentage I want and hitting sync will increase the tempo again. I have a feeling it has something to do with the tempo of the master track / currently playing tracks, but I'm yet to work it out.

Traktor has a function where you can double or half the beat grid - it's about the only function I've yet to see in VDJ. That'd be more useful to me and the kind of mixing I'm doing - (I'm mashing up songs, playing two or more simultaneously, so the BPM has to match exactly) - is there any way I could script this in? (I tried a button that changes the pitch, but with pitchlock on, it halves / doubles the speed of all the decks playing!)

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 8:59 pm
Have you tried set_bpm 50% and set_bpm 200% actions ?

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:03 pm
Just tried it - it doubles or halves the spacing of the beat grid, but the playback speed remains the same. I can achieve the result I'm looking for if I disable pitch_lock and then use pitch -50%, but then pitch_lock is disabled of course..

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:11 pm
(and sync will still increase the tempo to match the other decks..! instead of locking to the nearest beat, which is the behaviour I want to achieve)

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:19 pm
chemeleon wrote :
locking to the nearest beat, which is the behaviour I want to achieve

Sounds like you want beatlock then.

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:25 pm
Awesome - I had seen this somewhere but assumed I had it activated already. Is there any way to activate this automatically on all decks, or will I have to create a custom button for each deck and activate it manually?

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:30 pm
Ok - another question..! Now I've enabled beatlock, all my decks seem to be stuck. I've tried disabling beatlock but it doesn't seem to work - I've even tried resetting settings to no avail! Obviously something I'm not getting..?!

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:49 pm
(It's ok - something fishy going on with my ASIO driver..? But it seems I still can't disable beatlock on either deck)

EDIT: Doh! Had traktor open in the background which I'd loaded in relation to my question! (I'm a doofus)

Mensajes Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:51 pm
So I've got as far as creating a script which does this (for my song of 140bpm):

set_bpm 200% & pitch_lock off & pitch 50% & sync

This sets the tempo to 280bpm, unlocks the pitch and moves it into the correct range, then syncs the song (which re-enables pitch lock). The caveat to this method is that the doubled bpm is saved with the song. If I add (& set_bpm 50%) to the end of the script, the song returns to the correct tempo but if I sync again it jumps up to double speed.

Any easier way of doing this?

(EDIT: I figure I can just keep the song saved with the 280 bpm and it should lock to the correct tempo and stay there once I've set the pitch manually. That's as close I'm going to get I suspect)

Mensajes Thu 26 Sep 19 @ 4:22 am
maybe if you explain which track out of the 2 you are trying to get to a particular BPM?

You mention track A is 156bpm and track B is 140bpm. If you are playing track a first at 0% pitch at 156bpm and then try to mix in track b at 140bpm, track be has no choice but to mix in at the same bpm of 156 which of course will be 11% higher.

If you start with track a at a lower bpm say 148, with master tempo on you can mix track b at 148 again with MT on making it sound better.

Mensajes Thu 26 Sep 19 @ 10:22 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)