Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Mapping VST params to VDJ UI
Is there a way I can manually map VST params (knobs in this case) from 3.-party plugins to the two main buttons shown in the VDJ user interface?

For example, say I would like to map/bind the feedback and wet/dry knobs - is this possible?

Mensajes Thu 17 Oct 19 @ 12:50 pm
Yes you can, but I think you'd need to edit the skin XML.

Basically the two VDJ knobs control parameter 1 and parameter 2 of an effect. The knobs on your VST (assuming they're mappable) would likely be parameter 5 & 6.

If you edited the knob code in the skin, those two knobs would always control parameter 5 & 6, regardless of effect - unless you used a more complex script that checked to see if TAL-FLANGER was selected first.

Either way, it's a faff. It would be nice if the parameter the knob controlled was selectable from a drop down menu, so you could re-assign it if needed. Again, possible by editing the skin I believe.

[edit] I just had another thought. It might be easier for you to map a couple of custom knobs. Also, see the page on using VST effects in the VDJ manual. It covers controlling them via MIDI.

Mensajes Thu 17 Oct 19 @ 4:59 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Currently only sliders #1 display and and #1 and #2 in old skin
As groovindj said this badly needs some specific skin modification

maybe a menu to select which sliders to display or +/- buttons or up/down arrows to navigate available sliders the same way actually navigate effects in FX1 would be a good suggestion

Mensajes Thu 17 Oct 19 @ 6:48 pm
Thanks guys.

groovindj wrote :

Basically the two VDJ knobs control parameter 1 and parameter 2 of an effect. The knobs on your VST (assuming they're mappable) would likely be parameter 5 & 6.

If you edited the knob code in the skin, those two knobs would always control parameter 5 & 6, regardless of effect - unless you used a more complex script that checked to see if TAL-FLANGER was selected first.

I was able to remap by editing the XML file as you suggest. For now I simply hard-coded the numbers since my effects are pretty "fixed", but a conditional check is probably more optimal.

For anyone interested in case you use the TAL Flanger plugin, I had to use slider IDs 7 and 8 (probably some non-GUI automation/bypass etc. parameters prepending the knobs themselves):

This is the section I changed, more specifically the lines containing
<slider action="effect_slider 2 8" ...

The full section:

<group name="fxknobs_slot2" y="-2+37">
<panel class="knob_modern_small" x="+187" y="+0" visibility="effect_active 2">
<slider action="effect_slider 2 8" dblclick="effect_slider_reset 2 8" disabled="not effect_has_slider 2 8" frommiddle="get_effect_slider_default 2 8 0.5"/>
</panel>
<panel class="knob_modern_small" x="+187+45" y="+0" visibility="effect_active 2">
<slider action="effect_slider 2 7" dblclick="effect_slider_reset 2 7" disabled="not effect_has_slider 2 7" frommiddle="get_effect_slider_default 2 7 0.5"/>
</panel>
<panel class="knoboff_modern_small" x="+187" y="+0" visibility="not effect_active 2">
<slider action="effect_slider 2 8" dblclick="effect_slider_reset 2 8" disabled="not effect_has_slider 2 8" frommiddle="get_effect_slider_default 2 8 0.5"/>
</panel>
<panel class="knoboff_modern_small" x="+187+45" y="+0" visibility="not effect_active 2">
<slider action="effect_slider 2 7" dblclick="effect_slider_reset 2 7" disabled="not effect_has_slider 2 7" frommiddle="get_effect_slider_default 2 7 0.5"/>
</panel>
</group>

Repeat for deck 2 etc. Search for "fxknobs_slot2" (or ..slot1 etc. whatever effect slot you use) to find the location(s).

Works like a charm.

Nicotux wrote :
maybe a menu to select which sliders to display or +/- buttons or up/down arrows to navigate available sliders the same way actually navigate effects in FX1 would be a good suggestion
This is also a good idea I think.

I was also looking for a bridge plugin which could remap the params between the host and the plugin (not sure if jBridge can do this). But editing the XML fixed it for me for this time.

Thanks again!

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 3:22 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
PeteVanPolaris wrote :
I was also looking for a bridge plugin which could remap the params between the host and the plugin

I've had this as an idea for a while, to call scripts as you would fx, I might start phase 1 next week, once that goes live I'll start phase 2 which would include 2 mappable sliders.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 3:38 am
locodog wrote :

I've had this as an idea for a while, to call scripts as you would fx, I might start phase 1 next week, once that goes live I'll start phase 2 which would include 2 mappable sliders.

That is a pretty cool idea. It will certainly open up for very powerful uses.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 3:58 am
Is there a way to fire a midi signal on play to my lighting software if the file is a karaoke zip file? Then my performer spot can be automatic rather than have to trigger via nanopad2

Mensajes Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 4:23 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
VDJ internal OS2L can be used to send commands directly to your OS2L complient lightning software
VDJ internal freestyler midi can do it too
External DMXArtnet Plugins exists too

All 3 are very different solutions

Then you can map an onload command
i.e. OS2L as complex as :
get_loaded_song type & param_equal 'karaoke' ? karaoke ? is_karaoke_idle ? os2l_button 'performer spot' off & os2l_button 'performer wait' on : os2l_button 'performer wait' off & os2l_button 'performer spot' on : os2l_button 'performer wait' off & os2l_button 'performer spot' off : os2l_button 'karaoke' off

things like that allow to have different lightning effect while waiting for a performer and when it is singing and when karaoke is not enable (even a karaoke track is playing)

Mensajes Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 6:13 am