Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Optimizing library

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi Guys,
I have started optimizing my library, reason for doing this is a lot of my files have the wrong meta data, file names are the wrong format, etc.
I have been going to do this for some time, but have started now because I have a trial of sound switch, which is only able to find/read some of my library.
I have been editing file names and data in a 3rd party program, then deleting the original files, replacing them with the modified ones.
By doing so I have lost my custom POI's. I have read the manual over several times and read what posts I could find on here about the subject. Phantom DJ has made some good posts in this regard but still things are not 100% clear. I would like to know how best to tackle this and retain all my custom POI's. I have a good 3rd party file management program that allows for making batch changes easily, which I like to use. So how can I best get this done? Both file names and meta data has to be changed.
Ken.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 3:19 am
Hey..as i posted in another thread...when editing outside virtual dj...you should not edit the filename...as this causes errors and lost of cue points etc..you should close your vdj..do your editing of tags only...not the actual filename..save and the reopen vdj...right click your folder with music..and reload tags..then you can multiselect the files and rename them(batch rename) inside vdj itself...in that way.. vdj knows it's the same file..but its just different tags etc..and you can retain cue points etc...keeping in mind..if you download a new copy of the song..and replace it..once the length of the song is not the exact same as the original version..the cue points will be shifted..and you will have to adjust them to suit.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 3:55 am
This is a relative complex task. I would highly recommend using a scripting language for this (Node.js/JavaScript, Python, ...), read in the database file(s) via a XML parser. From there you can iterate through each node in the XML tree, extract file paths, do checks, search for the correct placement etc. etc.

However, of course this would require you to know (some) programming, the XML structure etc. I was actually starting making such software specifically for VDJ but due to other priorities I have nothing ready to publish; at this time all it does is to parse the database.xml file... But it was started for much of the same reasons you outline here in addition to pretty-format artist/title fields (to my liking), backup/restore, porting of data, secure mode and so on. If there is some interest I can consider setting aside some time to continue this project.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 4:23 am
Dj Pari M wrote :
Hey..as i posted in another thread...when editing outside virtual dj...you should not edit the filename...as this causes errors and lost of cue points etc..you should close your vdj..do your editing of tags only...not the actual filename..save and the reopen vdj...right click your folder with music..and reload tags..then you can multiselect the files and rename them(batch rename) inside vdj itself...in that way.. vdj knows it's the same file..but its just different tags etc..and you can retain cue points etc...keeping in mind..if you download a new copy of the song..and replace it..once the length of the song is not the exact same as the original version..the cue points will be shifted..and you will have to adjust them to suit.

Yeah ok, thanks.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 7:12 am
PeteVanPolaris wrote :
This is a relative complex task. I would highly recommend using a scripting language for this (Node.js/JavaScript, Python, ...), read in the database file(s) via a XML parser. From there you can iterate through each node in the XML tree, extract file paths, do checks, search for the correct placement etc. etc.

However, of course this would require you to know (some) programming, the XML structure etc. I was actually starting making such software specifically for VDJ but due to other priorities I have nothing ready to publish; at this time all it does is to parse the database.xml file... But it was started for much of the same reasons you outline here in addition to pretty-format artist/title fields (to my liking), backup/restore, porting of data, secure mode and so on. If there is some interest I can consider setting aside some time to continue this project.

I certainly would be interested in your program, anything to make the job easier would be awesome.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 7:13 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What are you using as 3rd party program, and what does it do more than the vdj tag editor?

Besides that, as mentioned if you want to use a 3rd party program, use it only to fix your tags, then reload tags in virtualdj.
If you still want to clean up file names, do so in batch from within virtualdj tag editor so that vdj can update the database with the new file names as well.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 7:32 am
Adion wrote :
What are you using as 3rd party program, and what does it do more than the vdj tag editor?

Besides that, as mentioned if you want to use a 3rd party program, use it only to fix your tags, then reload tags in virtualdj.
If you still want to clean up file names, do so in batch from within virtualdj tag editor so that vdj can update the database with the new file names as well.

Thanks, I,m using KJ file manager.

Mensajes Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 8:26 am
Adion wrote :

KJ File Manager is made by Karaosoft, BTW. He makes other Karaoke programs too which I have used for years.

Ok, Couple of things it will do that I think VDJ can't:
1. Batch swap fields. For example if the file has the artist and title back to front, you can select how ever many of the files that have this condition and swap fields. Doing so will also amend the file name. So you import the folder as "title"- "artist" ,swap fields, export as "artist" - "title". Very easy.
2. Usually with compilation albums the files are all wrong, meta data is all wrong, because they have not been named properly by the label. So import in what ever format is closest. Make batch edits and field swaps till all data fields and file name is correct. Then you can write data tags with discogs lookup in one click. Then export in desired format with correct data.

Mensajes Tue 22 Oct 19 @ 10:18 pm
Ok, having done some experimentation with VDJ tag editor, I have found that the above can more or less be done.
Bravo VDJ.

Mensajes Wed 23 Oct 19 @ 12:37 am
MusicBee has an option to lookup metadata based on digital sound signature. It is not 100% accurate, but it maybe can help.

Tools->Tagging Tools->Auto-Tag by Track (Ctrl+L)

Mensajes Wed 23 Oct 19 @ 10:53 am
user9315046 wrote :
MusicBee has an option to lookup metadata based on digital sound signature. It is not 100% accurate, but it maybe can help.

Tools->Tagging Tools->Auto-Tag by Track (Ctrl+L)

Thanks I'll check it out.

Mensajes Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 3:53 am
I seem to have a lot of albums that come into VDJ with the track number and title together.
Is there a reasonably simple way to avoid this? Or a way to have VDJ ignore the track number, only using the Artist & Title?
See pic.

Mensajes Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 3:55 am
What's the source of those tracks? Did you rip them? Were they downloaded from a retailer?

Personally, I always run my downloads through Tag&Rename first, before importing to VDJ.

Remember, VDJ is DJ software, not dedicated tag editing software. It may be able to do a little tagging, but it won't be as versatile as the real thing.

Lots of people are happy to use their phones to take pictures or video, but phones are not as good at it as a dedicated DSLR or camcorder...

Mensajes Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 5:29 pm
Kenny Speed wrote :
I seem to have a lot of albums that come into VDJ with the track number and title together.
Is there a reasonably simple way to avoid this? Or a way to have VDJ ignore the track number, only using the Artist & Title?
For these situations I use two software in combination (provided that both filename and tag contains the track number):

- Advanced Renamer (free for personal use) https://advancedrenamer.com/
- Mp3Tag (free, and handles mp3, flac etc.) https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Then:

- Use AR to set up renaming rules to remove the number prefix (truncate or use custom script, whatever you're comfortable with).
- Finally run the files through mp3tag to generate tag from filename. The latter can in this case also be done by VDJ using the tags from filename function in the tag editor (small button between the artist/remixer sections). Works with batches as well.

Mensajes Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 7:31 pm
PeteVanPolaris wrote :
Kenny Speed wrote :
For these situations I use two software in combination (provided that both filename and tag contains the track number):

- Advanced Renamer (free for personal use) https://advancedrenamer.com/
- Mp3Tag (free, and handles mp3, flac etc.) https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Then:

- Use AR to set up renaming rules to remove the number prefix (truncate or use custom script, whatever you're comfortable with).
- Finally run the files through mp3tag to generate tag from filename. The latter can in this case also be done by VDJ using the tags from filename function in the tag editor (small button between the artist/remixer sections). Works with batches as well.

Thanks Pete.
I just tried to access the advanced renamer web page but my AV gave two very stern warnings about do so. Any thoughts? Not sure I want to risk it?

EDIT: I tried simply googling advanced renamer and then clicked on the appropriate link without any problems. So I don't know why your link was not liked by my AV?
I downloaded it, will see how it installs. Hopefully no surprises.

Cheers, Ken.

Mensajes Wed 30 Oct 19 @ 12:06 am
Seem to be a problem with the TLS/SSL certificate which will cause the browser and/or AV to warn about it. Should not be a problem in this case.

The owner is not using a so-called wildcard cert but specifically a cert for www. .... which doesn't match the link I gave:

Quote :
Unable to communicate securely with peer: requested domain name does not match the server’s certificate.
If you prefix the domain with "www.", i.e, https://www.advancedrenamer.com/ the warning should go away.

Mensajes Wed 30 Oct 19 @ 2:25 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)