Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Cannot add a new shader - basically all I download are not compatiable with Virtual DJ
DJ MekuHome userMember since 2019
Hi, I love the shader on VDJ, and worked really well on my old Dell PC from 2013 (XPS with nVidia 640M).
I could add a new shader, paste a link from shadertoy and voila, there is my shader in action. Worked almost all the time.

But now I upgraded to macos (a macbook) and I'm having difficulties doing the same.
I've tried dozens of shaderjoy links as seen below, with little to no luck:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/223454/General_Discussion/Best_visualization_shaders_for_VirtualDJ.html
I only managed to get 2 to work, and they were from here: https://www.shadertoy.com/playlist/NltcWN

Is it because this 2015 15" MacBook Pro doesn't have a dedicated GPU? Though i doubt it coz the default shaders work just fine.
Anyone with the same issue? What could I be doing wrong?
Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Mensajes Thu 30 Apr 20 @ 11:31 am
Its likely cause of switching computers yes, the mac not being able compiling the shaders with default settings on your current hardware specs.

What you can do, is turn on useMetal in VirtualDJ settings, this should work far better (metal is a macOS graphics render engine)
(Even if this feature is "beta", it should already work well ;-) )

Mensajes Thu 30 Apr 20 @ 6:18 pm
DJ MekuHome userMember since 2019
Dear internet stranger,
THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKS NOW!!!
I set UseMetal in settings, re-downloaded the shaders and everything just works now! Some are even crisper & smoother than before!
Thanks again and I hope everything good happens to you in 2020!

Mensajes Sun 03 May 20 @ 3:04 am
Hello
I have the same problem (Macbook). I check Yes to ExperimentalUseMetal, the program asks to restart VirtualDJ for this option to take effect, but after the restart No is checked again! Any help?

Mensajes Sun 24 May 20 @ 3:47 pm
The best way to make the settings hold - if you look in your Documents folder, you'll see one called VirtualDJ. In that folder is a file called settings.xml ...it's a text / web page file that holds your settings.

Open up your settings file using TextEdit.app (right click on it, or hold Control and click, and Open Using TextEdit.app. The line you're looking for is towards the bottom. It's in the <performance> section and is called:

<experimentalUseMetal>yes</experimentalUseMetal>

Make sure it says "yes" in lower case. If it doesn't, change the no to a yes. If it already says "yes", you need to give the computer a bit of a push so enter one letter at the end of the line and delete it, so you can then save the file (because the file has now been 'changed').

Once you've done that, open Virtual DJ and it'll now have the Metal render engine as the default. It does mean you have to re-download your shaders. Click on each one in turn and get the updated versions saved on your Mac.

I also tweaked <recordVideoResolution> to 1280x720 and you can experiment around with other settings to you own preference.

Mensajes Mon 15 Jun 20 @ 1:59 am
Hello guys I have just got a new Mac book pro running a big sur version 11.4 and I'm having the same trouble of trying to download shaders and it's saying it's not compatible with Virtual DJ I am pretty sick at this computer stuff if you can please explain an easy way being patient with me much appreciated
Thanks mark

Mensajes Mon 31 May 21 @ 12:46 pm

Mensajes Mon 31 May 21 @ 1:03 pm
kp123197PRO SubscriberMember since 2013
Hello,

I recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip, and when I try to upload new shaders from shader toy.com. Every shader so far has said that it is incompatible with virtual DJ.

I tried changing the skin engine settings, and went into the virtual dj code signature file using textedit to ensure that the "Usemetal" setting was turned on like a previous post had suggested. But there was nothing like what the post said I should find, and the virtual dj application contents are no longer stored in documents, and only are showing "code signature" when I open the package details on the application.

Is there any resolution to being able to access shaders again? Part of there reason I upgraded my gear, was so I could run shaders along with my software without distortion In the quality during broadcasts, but now it appears I can't access any shaders at all. Please Help

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 22 @ 1:49 am
kp123197 wrote :
I recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip, and when I try to upload new shaders from shader toy.com. Every shader so far has said that it is incompatible with virtual DJ.

As I understand it, these should be compatible with and compiled for M1
(however, someone else compiled them for me, so I can't test it myself :) )

http://3am.dk/Shaders4OSX.zip

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 22 @ 7:46 am