Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Virtual DJ 2021 with Native Intruments Z2 - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi,

I used Traktor Pro 3 with a Z2 and a pair of turntables. I'm interested in Virtual DJ 2021 for the purpose of video mixing, but I have a few questions which I am hoping you guys can help with.

1) Does VDJ have post-fader effects? I'm specifically interested in the ech out effect. Does it work the way it does in Serato DJ?
2) Will my Traktor Control records (mk2) work without issue?
3) Is the Z2 fully mid-mapable with VDJ? Can I custom-map it if I dont like the default VDJ mappings?
4) Wiill the software work fine on a laptop with SSD, i5 6th Gen processor and 8GB of RAM (DVS + Video Mixing)

I tried downloading the trial version of VDJ, but the DVS wouldnt work. It was saying something like "DVS licence required" when I tried to test with my turntables.

Any advice before I spend the $299 on this software would be appreciated

Mensajes Fri 31 Jul 20 @ 5:53 am
1) Yes. Setting fxProcessing
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes, but you may want to upgrade your RAM for even better results

Mensajes Fri 31 Jul 20 @ 6:37 am
You could always take out a $19 Pro subscription until you are happy to purchase the Infinity license.

Mensajes Fri 31 Jul 20 @ 7:02 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
1) Yes. Setting fxProcessing
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes, but you may want to upgrade your RAM for even better results

Thanks so much for the quick responses to both of you. I think I will take the plunge and purchase the Inifinity License. Its very expensive for me as the the currrecy in my country is weak against the US Dollar. Purchasing a $19 monthly sub will just add to my cost. So I think I will take the plunge after a bit more homework and hope for the best.

Mensajes Fri 31 Jul 20 @ 7:05 am
Hi guys,

Just some feedback. I managed to get the DVS working on the trial version of Virtual DJ. My findings so far :

1) Traktor mk2 vinyl does not work well with VDJ. When doing some complex scratches and backspins, the timecode seems to get "confused".....especially when doing backspins for beat juggles. If you spin the record back very fast, it loses its position. I tried 3 pairs of Traktor records with the same results. One of these pairs was brand new and had never been used. This is my only gripe since I pefer Traktor vinyl over the others because its thicker and heavier.

2) The old Rane Serato vinyl works 100%. Actually feels tight and precise. I'm impressed.

3) The newer Serato vinyl works just as well. No issues at all. Scratches are tight and precise.

My overall view of the software after playing with it for 4-5 hours is that its better than both Serato and Traktor (which I have both used extensively). Its a lot more flexible and customizable - which is what I like. Also, I can use it with (almost) mixer I want to, which is great. I'm really impressed about how it all just works out the box with my Z2 mixer. My final test is to test VDJ 2021 on my Denon S3700's (yes I still have a pair of those!) and my Pioneer CDJ's (using timecode) . Should it work fine with these players, I'll be sold on purchasing the Pro Infinity version.

Well done to the devs, this software has come a long way since I last used it 10-15 years ago.

Mensajes Fri 31 Jul 20 @ 10:03 pm
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing an issue using DVS on CDJ's. It seems that, if move the platter very slowly, the VDK software does not respond (even though the needle indicator on the CDJ is moving). This only happens when I move the platter slowly....for example, to precisely set a hot cue. I tried both Serato timecode CD and VDJ timecode....but I get the same issue.

I tested the same CDJ's with Traktor - there is no issue. Seems like there is an issue with VDJ specifically. Does anybody know if there is a setting I could perhaps change in VDJ for this issue?

On my turntables though, VDJ is really good.

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 7:18 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is the Deck paused when you try to slowly move jog ?
Can you try to set TimecodeSilence setting (from Options) to a lower value ?

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 8:26 am
Hi DJ Dad,

Thank you so much for the response. I was fiddling all morning and changed TimeCodeSilence to 0. That worked :-) Was just logging in to share my solution. Thanks in any event for helping

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 11:41 am
Just come across another issue - hoping you can assist again.

When I use my CDJ's with Timecode CD, the keylock does not seem to be working in VDJ. When I nudge the jog wheels to beathmatch, I can hear the key changing. The only way around this is to enable "Master Tempo" on the CDJ itself. However, when I do that, the BPM on the screen doesnt change when I move the pitch slider on the CDJ. I can hear the tempo changing, but the BPM readout in VDJ does not change.

Is there a way around this issue?

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 12:19 pm
You have to bear in mind how timecode works. It's a tone (like a music note). The software "listens" to that tone so it can work out how the user is manipulating the vinyl or jogwheel. If you turn on master tempo on your CD player, the output tone (key) will be locked, so the frequency won't change.

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 12:28 pm
Ok, thank you for the feedback.

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 4:30 pm
Can you not enable master tempo / key lock on the VDJ decks rather than the CD player?

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 4:54 pm
Actually @groovindj, @AlphA_ZA is right.
With Master Tempo on software activated, pitch bending with DVS will change the key while bending.
That's due to DVS engine, and it's like that on purpose (better vinyl sound emulation)

#AlphA_ZA, @groovindh is right on this:
You should NOT activate Master Tempo on your CDJ. This will mess up timecode signal and VirtualDJ won't be able to recognize the proper pitch of your deck

Mensajes Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 10:01 pm
Thanks again for the additional info, guys. Its much appreciated.

Mensajes Mon 03 Aug 20 @ 3:50 am
HI guys,

Sorry for the additional post, but I am really sure all my bases are covered before I drop my hard-earned money on his software.

I've been comparing precise cuts on my turntables comparing VDJ and another piece of software which I usually use using the same tracks and the same mixer, and my flares and other quick cuts are a lot sharper using "my other software" than on VDJ. Its almost like the cross-fader is not as sharp on VDJ than what it is using "my other software". The feel of the record itself on VDJ feels fine.....its the crossfader which doesnt seem to be as sharp. I'm using an Innofader Pro 2 which is clean and has no issues.

I dont see any fader features in VDJ other than to set the crossfader to "scratch" which I have already done. Does anybody have any tips for custom cross fader settings which might be able to help me?

Mensajes Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 8:07 am

Mensajes Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 8:18 am
thanks man - you have been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

I have tried the "scratch" preset, but that still not sharp at all. I will try info in the link you have sent after work today and post my feedback.

Again, thank you very much for all the help.

Mensajes Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 11:00 am
Hi again,

Thanks for all the help, but even with the best settings in VDJ there point where the fader opens takes double the travel than using real vinyl or even my other DVS systems. This makes the software unusable for me as I like to work on precise cuts. I have tested on both my Z2's......one with an Innofader Pro 2 and one with an Innofader mini. Results are poor.

Perhaps something is not configured right on my end, but I unfortunately will have give up on this software. Its a pity cos I really wanted to use this software with any mixer I own or might buy in the future.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Mensajes Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 5:28 pm
Did you try making a custom crossfader curve?

Also you may be able to use the Z2 in "external mixer" mode, so you're using the Z2 crossfader directly, rather than the software one.

Qbert didn't seem to have any problems:

Mensajes Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 5:47 pm
groovindj wrote :
Did you try making a custom crossfader curve?

Also you may be able to use the Z2 in "external mixer" mode, so you're using the Z2 crossfader directly, rather than the software one.

Qbert didn't seem to have any problems:

Yes, I tried some custom x-fader curves. I searched through these forums and found custom parameter for tight cross-fader cuts.....but I still cant get it as tight as my fader usually is. The difference is marginal....the travel is a bit more than twice as far than it should be,

And yes, I tried the mixer using the Z2 in "external mode"....where the crossfader is being used directly.....ie, not using the software. Its sharp and cuts really tight using real vinyl records.. Its only when I use VDJ that I get this issue. If I move the fader really slow, I can actually hit a spot on the fader where I hear the VDJ audio coming in soft before it cuts in at maximum volume. I even tested it on two laptops - same result. I'm really bummed about this :(

Yep - if its good enough for Qbert, then I must be doing something wrong on my side :-)

Mensajes Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 6:06 pm
87%