Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Recording without Mic with DDJ-1000

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

So i've learned that VDJ kinda changes how it works when dealing with different kinds of hardware, such as those that do certain tasks on the hardware side but still report the knob positions, such as the master on the DDJ-1000 among other some other things.
This ties into my issue: With my previous Numark Mixtrack Quad, which has a very rudimentary Mic Input that only has a gain and no hardware master applied on it (only software master from VDJ!) i was able to use a mic and any recording with VDJ didn't have any mic sounds because it's routed on hardware and VDJ sees none of it.

To get to the point, it seems that with the DDJ-1000 VDJ is retrieving the pre-master output of the controller's mixer that contains the hardware-mixed microphone input and is using that for the recording. Usually this is desirable, but since i record via a USB interface while streaming, i would really like to have VDJ record my mix without the mic so that i can publish that audio on Mixcloud where commentary (without any video) is less optimal.
I know that since the 1.05 firmware basically everything that makes sense and can be done by VDJ is done by VDJ (e.g. sound color and beat fx), so i think it should be possible to achieve this. I know that this will definitely not work with external sources.
Do you guys have any ideas?

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 8:51 pm
Its usually not VirtualDJ that changes how things work from a controller to a different controller, rather the controller maker ;-)

On many entry level controllers you can not record/broadcast the mic easily, it goes straight to the speaker output of the controller (as you say). And you would need to cable up an audio cable from the controller to a line-in at computer to be able to record the mic. (And since you dont want to record the mic, no problem)

But on more high end mixer, this loopback is done in the driver, so that you can record/broadcast the mic easily by just adding a record entry or loopback in the driver to hear the hardware mic on the computer (for VDJ). The DDJ-1000 is one of such.
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj1000/advancedaudio.html#mics and
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj1000/advancedaudio.html#recording

It does have some advanced options as well for the mic, but not sure you can mute it to master.
You can mute it to booth out though. Simply by setting "micAudibleToBooth" to "no".
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj1000/settings.html

So in theory you could add a cable from Booth Out and connect this to line in at DDJ-1000.
And set VirtualDJ record entry in sound setting to this line-in
(or even better if you could grab the booth out directly at the channel drop down, but doubt that its available for such)
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj1000/advancedaudio.html#lineins
In theory, I have not tried, and it might not be routed as simple as that, but worth a shot
(if not you can for sure cable it to a computer line-in and set record to the pc line-in )
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/settings/audiosetup/recordloopback.html

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 9:07 pm
Remove Record entry from audio config, and you should be able to record only "VirtualDJ's" sound and nothing else.

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 10:16 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Remove Record entry from audio config, and you should be able to record only "VirtualDJ's" sound and nothing else.

ah yes, even easier ;-)
I need a coffee.. was thinking it was separate decks audio for the DDJ-1000... But its just simple master + speakers, true

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 10:28 pm
Yes, with DDJ-1000SRT it would have been impossible... :P

Mensajes Wed 26 Aug 20 @ 10:30 pm
Well it 'worked' but it seems that Talk Over doesn't work anymore. I thought that was a hardware feature applied when adding the mic to the master.
I'll investigate that further, but maybe there isn't a comfortable solution after all =/

Mensajes Thu 27 Aug 20 @ 8:15 pm
What do you mean ?
On DDJ-1000, talkover function is 100% hardware controlled and it doesn't take into account your computer sound setup (so, it should work no matter what)
On the other hand with the solution we provided you here, when you record your mix, you won't hear talkover lowering the volume, as VirtualDJ is now recording itself and it's not aware of what the controller is doing. Therefore you should get a recording that has "constant" levels when you speak on your mic.
If you want the volume on your mix to lower down when you speak on the mic, but still you don't want the mic to get recorded, the only way to do it is to manually use volume channel faders to lower the volume of the playing deck before you speak on the mic (and don't use talkover to do that for you)

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 20 @ 9:39 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Or assign a different button to use the virtualdj software talkover function

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 20 @ 11:26 am
Quote :
the only way to do it is to manually use volume channel faders to lower the volume of the playing deck before you speak on the mic (and don't use talkover to do that for you)

that's what i did in the last mix, but that again goes into the recording

Quote :
Or assign a different button to use the virtualdj software talkover function
that would also go into the recording

Mensajes Fri 28 Aug 20 @ 1:15 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)