Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Question regarding CPU

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
Hi,

as new owner of VDJ I think about to use video as well.
As my laptop is not the most freshest item, friendly said, it could be required to go for a new one in case of the use of video and heavy use of stems.
(i5 Gen 4, 8GB RAM, no dedicated GPU)

As the competition (where I came from) advises strongly to use Intel CPU and no AMD CPU I would like to know, best case a validated answer from VDJ/DEVELOPER/STAFF, if this is for VDJ as well the case.
What should I aim at? Classical Intel i7 oder AMD Ryzen?
Far away from the price differences: Any preference for a CPU and why?

User experience as feedback is of course as well welcome ;)

Thanks!

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 8:43 am
I'll let the devs write about the CPU, but I can say the VDJ does different things depending on how many CPU cores it can get it's hands on :)

However regarding STEMS the best thing is to take the workload of that away from the CPU all together and let the GPU handle hat. Since it's based on machine learning/deep learning, a GPU is much better at that sort of math
So what is need is a fairly new Nvidia Geforce graphics card
In practice that means that fast business laptops (with great stability, lots of ram and fast big and fast harddrives) are no longer the best for DJs.
Now we need to buy gamer laptops instead (still with lots of ram and fast big and fast harddrive - but with a big focus on gaming graphics cards)
I actually did a comparison video on this topic when VDJ2021 was first released:

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 9:16 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Both AMD Ryzen and recent Intel CPU's will work fine for VirtualDJ.
Having many cores available is something that VirtualDJ can make use off, but otherwise most modern cpu's will do.
There can be a big performance difference between the low-power variants (usually with type names ending with U) and the more powerful ones.
Which one is best for you depends on preference of battery life over performance. Practically both will be fine for VirtualDJ, although if you want to use stems and choose a laptop without nVidia GPU then you probably want at least a high performance CPU.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 9:27 am
klausmogensen wrote :
I'll let the devs write about the CPU, but I can say the VDJ does different things depending on how many CPU cores it can get it's hands on :)

However regarding STEMS the best thing is to take the workload of that away from the CPU all together and let the GPU handle hat. Since it's based on machine learning/deep learning, a GPU is much better at that sort of math
So what is need is a fairly new Nvidia Geforce graphics card
In practice that means that fast business laptops (with great stability, lots of ram and fast big and fast harddrives) are no longer the best for DJs.
Now we need to buy gamer laptops instead (still with lots of ram and fast big and fast harddrive - but with a big focus on gaming graphics cards)
I actually did a comparison video on this topic when VDJ2021 was first released:

Hi,

thanks.
So far for me is clear:
must have a Nvidia GPU (at least GTX1650, more seems not required as I don´t do gaming on this)
16GB RAM
in case of Intel: H CPU instead of U CPU

and, that is my main issue,: Intel or AMD?

I know by experience that T**** and S**** and R***** are working better with Intel and it is as well advised.
Must be something with the CPU design, can´t be the power (Ryzen should have fair enough for DJing at all)
What I´ve seen in VDJ is that it seems to not use multi core as the others.
No idea if so during operation in total, but at least the analysis of tracks seems to be handled by one single core only.
In R****** you can see: if analyzing tracks, one track per core is done at the same time (in my case i5 = 4 tracks in parallel analyzed).
In VDJ it is one track after the other...so seeming just one core involved.

So...aiming for a CPU with less cores and more single core power (maybe i5 with more Ghz instead of i7 with less Ghz per core) or is there any advantage of having more than 4 cores within VDJ?

As we all know: Upgrading of laptops is something between hard, impossible and terrible expensive...I would like to make a correct buy. Better paying now a little more as getting issues later. But if more cores does not mean any advantage I would like to save this money. As said...it is a DJ laptop, no gaming, no video edit, no other stuff.

AMD is going crazy with the cores (new top CPU has 16 cores), but if VDJ can´t use it with an added value...maybe better to go another way.

By the way: if VDJ is planning to change something in nearer versions, for example adding of a better multicore design or other core use....I would of course buy with an eye on the future. Normally I hold my DJ laptops around 4-5 years...

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 9:40 am
Adion wrote :
Both AMD Ryzen and recent Intel CPU's will work fine for VirtualDJ.
Having many cores available is something that VirtualDJ can make use off, but otherwise most modern cpu's will do.
There can be a big performance difference between the low-power variants (usually with type names ending with U) and the more powerful ones.
Which one is best for you depends on preference of battery life over performance. Practically both will be fine for VirtualDJ, although if you want to use stems and choose a laptop without nVidia GPU then you probably want at least a high performance CPU.

Hi,

GPU topic is clear. (I guess a 1650 is sufficient and the more expensive 2060 is for VDJ not needed?)
No low voltage CPU (U versions) as well, in case of Intel I will go to the H versions.
What means "VDJ can make use off" in regards to the amount of cores?
For example: more than 4 cores are improving what?

As mentioned, at least during the analysis of tracks I can´t see VDJ using even more than one core. Just track by track in sequence instead of doing it in parallel as the competition does. (but analysis seems to be faster in VDJ comparing to the competitors, so maybe it is used in hidden mode?)

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 9:45 am
VirtualDJ will make use of multiple cores when analyzing, but it might be more conservative compared to the other software, as it keeps 1 or 2 cores available for VirtualDJ itself to ensure analyzing will not affect core operation.
Track loading, video decoding and some other background tasks will also make use of multiple cores, but this may not be as visible as it's not too likely that this will completely occupy your cpu.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 10:03 am
Adion wrote :
VirtualDJ will make use of multiple cores when analyzing, but it might be more conservative compared to the other software, as it keeps 1 or 2 cores available for VirtualDJ itself to ensure analyzing will not affect core operation.
Track loading, video decoding and some other background tasks will also make use of multiple cores, but this may not be as visible as it's not too likely that this will completely occupy your cpu.

Ok, so in a nutshell:
If you need to buy now a new laptop, what would be the specs?

I know that you are probably not allowed to or at least will not do so to give me a clear buy advise of a specific product.
What is anyway not my target, I justlike to understand from a VDJ point of view what should be technical the best. As mentioned....complet newbie in VDJ, I have no experience at all. (for the competitors where I´ve moved from I can answer this myself as I have the experience)

So what would be your choice (pure hardware)?
i5 or i7 or AMD (here a specific CPU? I´m not familiar with this as I´m on Intel since 15 years)
16Gb RAM
Nvidia GTX 1650 or is there any point to go for a better one?

Is it smarter to have for example 6 cores with 4Ghz instead of having 4 cores with 5Ghz?
I assume this is highly depending of the software design how VDJ is using resources.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 10:21 am
As said, for VirtualDJ it will not make a huge difference which cpu you choose, all modern ones are basically fast enough.
I would personally choose for more cores over higher clock speed, since the differences in clock speed (especially base/sustained) are relatively small anyway.
For AMD, you should look at the Ryzen 4000 series.
Unfortunately, AMD laptops are still not widely available, so the choice between Intel and AMD will probably depend more on the other features of the laptop that you might care about.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 10:59 am
BTW: If you use a controller (I guess you do) check with hardware manufacturer as well.
Some big companies surprisingly enough don't support ADM processors officially. Their drivers will work, but may have quirks.
So, before deciding on CPU check with them as well/

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 11:38 am
Hallo, schau dir mal diese NB an.
Asus TUF Gaming A17

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 2:02 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
BTW: If you use a controller (I guess you do) check with hardware manufacturer as well.
Some big companies surprisingly enough don't support ADM processors officially. Their drivers will work, but may have quirks.
So, before deciding on CPU check with them as well/

I‘m using a Pioneer DDJ-RX. (Rekordboxversion of the SX2)
Pioneer does not say anything, just Win10....

But it seems that I‘ll remain at Intel. At least, even if a little more expensive, reliable due to missing opponing reports.
Or different said: AMD seems to give me, except a little lower pricing, no advantage comparing to Intel but have a risk to earn little disadvatntages.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 6:57 pm
Intel could be considered the "industry standard". AMD always had a reputation of being a riskier choice because some software may not support AMD.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 20 @ 8:10 pm
groovindj wrote :
Intel could be considered the "industry standard". AMD always had a reputation of being a riskier choice because some software may not support AMD.

Agreed.
I was just wondering as AMD is on gaming now pretty ok on track and as this laptop is exclusive for DJing it was worth to ask it.
Will be i7 as H version, series 9 or 10 (depending on offer), a Nvidia GTX GPU, minimum 1650, 16GB of RAM and a SSD setup with 1TB.

For me it makes more sense to pay 200Euro more for the Intel and being on the save side instead of saving 200 Euro and facing issues or risk maybe now or later.

One reason, by the way, was, that I´ve seen taht VDJ seems to generate MUCH LESS load on the CPU as the competion. Why ever...but I count it as advantage ;)
I´m just affraid (or convinced) that VDJ will require if using video on external beamer and STEMS within the mix a little more power than my setup can provide right now. i5 4th Generation (and here midrange model, not the top stuff of 4th generation) without dedicated GPU should come sooner or later into trouble with such load...

Mensajes Sat 10 Oct 20 @ 12:32 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)