Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Stems FX genrating short sound cut outs when deactivating FX
Hi there, I'm new to Virtual DJ and using a DDJ-1000 + Macbook Pro 13 2017 to control it.
While generating all my stems offline as it has no dedicated GPU, I now encounter short sound cutouts while turning off the beat FX from the DDJ-1000 that was assigned to a vocal or melody stem.

This does not occur all the times. I haven't been able to findout a proper way to reproduce except the fact that clearely, when it happens and FX Stem was active and I'm turning it off (unselecting the FX Stem or turning of my DDJ Beat FX button).

last but not least, I did not notice the CPU overheating though and reinstall Virtual DJ with all default settings to ensure I didn't mess up with these either ;-)

Anyone noticed the same behavior, any way to workaround and it is annoying to the point the Stem FX becomes pointless for me..

Looking fwd to read anything from you guys :)

Mensajes Mon 21 Jun 21 @ 5:48 pm
When FX Stem first was available, I noticed that there was bit more latency with the FX Stem then with the original track and when turning a FX Stem one could hear a small jump in the track (vocal). Was never an issue though.

Which Build of VDJ are you using?

Using the latest EA build (6532) this does NOT occur. Don't know when it disappeared.

Now I don't experience what you are describing.

--------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (3700 MHz)
Memory: 65487 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19041.572)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
VDJ v8.5-64 b6532 w Default Pro Skin

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 8:16 am
Over here it sounds like it is rather when I deactivate instead of when I activate..
I'm using version b6503 (last update that was requested to me by VDJ)
I see you are using an even more recent version of VDJ while mien remains the one announced on the download section of VDJ website.. how can I access yours?

BTW some tests I made and did not change the results:
- Testing with more powerful 2018 MacMini (i5, 32Go RAM)
- Using Internal DDJ_100 soundcard or Macbook/MacMini Soundcard
- Installing Bootcamp and running VDJ on Windows with ASIO driver of my DDJ

aside of that:
- I do not encounter any issue when activating deactivating Stems (not using any FX)
- I do not encounter any issue with FX when not using them on a Stem

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 9:19 am
You have safely chosen to use the latest Standard (stable) build which is 6503.

If you are interested in trying the Early Access builds (currently 6532) then set earlyAccessUpdates to Yes in OPTIONS.

you can always reinstall the 6503 build after turning earlyAccessUpdates to No, if that does not fix or you no longer wish to be testing the newest builds.

LINK for VDJ Changelog: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/changelog.html?view=advanced

LINK for previous Builds: https://virtualdj.com/download/build.html?showall=1

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 9:45 am
Thanks.. downloaded just now and I can confirm it looks much better now. I'll perform some new tests to confirm this early statement though..
thanks a lot for the tip!

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 9:54 am
Hahaha I went too fast. Actually that new version deactivated the mathengin by default.
Which means no FX on stems => no issue :D

More seriously, I tested again and barely notice much difference between 6532 and 6503 I had before. I noticed that it was quite obvious using the 'Filter' (where before I mainly used the beat fx). More noticeable on my Macbook i5 2017 (16Go ram) than my macmini i5 2018 (32Go ram) though

Simply going from >20k or <20k back to off creates that little cutout. I tried to record but is not that obvious on the few secondes recording
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZlW3TXZ5KshNqwGzXhXo3XgCfJcJ4VNwXFy

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 12:59 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
check you stem bleed settings

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 1:05 pm
Thanks for the tip..
Tried O-50-100% on all stem bleeds -> no change in cutouts behavior using the Filter FX on stems (vocal or melody)

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 2:09 pm
Great you posted a video.

I see you have FX Stems enabled, but you are NOT using an effect that the FX Stems affects currently..

The FX Stems only currently work with the left 3 slotted effects, for Deck 1, in your video, would be Echo, Loop Roll, and Wh... cannot read it..

FX Stems DONOT effect the Color FX Effects applied with Knob below the the EQs. (ie when setting FX Stems to Vocal, the Color FX knobs will apply the effect to the entire track (all stems), NOT just the Vocal, as it would, if ab effect was applied from the left 3 slots)

-----------------
PS
I could not hear the sound cuts that you describe either.
Now that I understand more what you are asking about, I will check if I can detect a cut when applying an effect with the Color FX Knobs.

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 2:21 pm
UPDATE: I cannot hear any cutting when using the Color FX with "Filter" selected, (as per your video)
Tested: both with FX Stems OFF and FX Stems ON, set to vocal.

Maybe someone else can reproduce, or experienced that cutting sound you hear.

---------------
Maybe it would be interesting to monitor CPU usage and also test your audio processing with LatencyMon
Link: https://resplendence.com/latencymon

opps LatencyMon is only for windows..
Maybe someone knows the app for Mac's to test real time audio processing.

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 2:43 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :

FX Stems DONOT effect the Color FX Effects applied with Knob below the the EQs. (ie when setting FX Stems to Vocal, the Color FX knobs will apply the effect to the entire track (all stems), NOT just the Vocal, as it would, if ab effect was applied from the left 3 slots)

That is quite odd because when I select FX Vocal and start using my color FX (filter) from my DDJ I clearly hear it applies only on the vocal.. (also hear the cutouts lol )

Anyhow, I managed to better route the DDJ output to Quicktime to record properly.. now in this new video with FX Vocal activated you should hear:
- although no Vocal at first, cutout appears as from the moment on I turn the Knob
- later in that video you can notive the filter applies to the voice stem only (melody keep on normally)
- cutouts are here quite noticable

Bleed setting on 50% each

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZVtGTXZM7bjkvM6Fr5v514ETrKJSSEagIWk

(thanks for your time supporting me :) )

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 3:09 pm
Yes I can hear the cutting as you say now.

I also can NOT reproduce that on my setup. (tried many diff bleed values, including the default values)

----------------
and to demonstrate that Color FX effects all the entire track..

compare using, LoopRoll on Color FX vs LoopRoll on your Slot 2 (which I see you have LoopRoll already selected)

Easiest to hear the diff with LoopRoll.

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 3:25 pm
Thanks..
Doing the test you proposed, sounds like over here applying a Filter on a vocal stem seems to work the same way as applying a Loop_roll (as per my last video where it is quite obvious isn't? ).. Now I must say is not the case for all DDJ's Color FX Knobs.. -> eg sounds like noise (using the same configuration) applies to the entire track.

But in the end, whatever the Filter would do or not on my vocal only or on the entire track; I'm more concerned about these cutouts in general when using an FX Stem.. (actually deactivating the FX on the stem). I hope some else or VDJ people can help further..

Happy to provide more info or details to troubleshoot..

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 3:37 pm
I made 2 videos First is with the standard 3 slot FX. effect_stems vocal on w Loop Roll

1) https://www.mediafire.com/file/9bwu78o6xhtunee/StemFX_Loop_Roll.mp4/file

and 2nd one is with effect_stems vocal on using the Color FX Loop Roll
2) https://www.mediafire.com/file/lxoijfji1fryl4d/StemFX_Vocal_ON__ColorFX.mp4/file

you can easily hear in first that vocal only is loop rolled and in the second (with effect_stems vocal still on) that using LoopRoll with the Color FX knob, that ALL stems are loop rolled (the way it was before stem separation existed)

Yes and agree the important thing is the Cutouts that you are experiencing, which I can easily hear in your video.
Maybe someone else has this experience also, and can reproduce it.

Mensajes Tue 22 Jun 21 @ 3:43 pm
Posting new tests I made trying to troubleshoot the origin. I tried applying on and off Delay FX (Wet/Dry 0% -> basically on hold, not doing anything) on Stems in the 3 following scenarios:

- DDJ-1000 connected - DDJ sound card used: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZYr4gXZz6qEkxKGfGLJj3BpUKTU6prukLSX
- DDJ-1000 connected - Macbook sound card used: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZBr4gXZTzvLa7nEJw4q2I9YhL1i4XEEmhzy
- no controller connected - Macbook sound card used: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZBr4gXZTzvLa7nEJw4q2I9YhL1i4XEEmhzy

=> every time when DDJ-1000 is connected I get the cutouts when deactivating the Delay if a FX stem has been selected. Looks like when running standalone (MacBook only) I do not encounter of this! Any delay in passing the midi information through the DDJ? (same result when activating/deactivating Delay FX from the controller or VDJ GUI)

I believe it worthless to mention my DDJ has always been working great with Rekordbox and VDJ except for this FX on Stems scenario. Any DDJ user that can try to replicate or VDJ people troubleshoot further?
thanks a lot in advance :-)

Mensajes Fri 25 Jun 21 @ 2:21 pm
avvgbControlleristMember since 2020
Hi people, i got the pro infinity version of vdj, to use more controllers at the same time. I updated ti the last version of vdj, but i still have issues on stems: i activate for example an effect only on vocal ( Echo, f.e.) keeping on the slip command: when i deactivate the effect, there Is a little, but clearly audible, gap, something like a music resync between vocal track and the rest of songs... .
The issue Is exactely the same on different PC, both very powerful (First PC is desktop, amd FX 4100, 24g RAM, SSD , Nvidia ge force 1060ti 6g, dedicated behringher asio soundcard UMC204HD, the second PC is notebook, Msi Leopard i7, 16g, SSD, Nvidia ge force 1050 4g....).
Hercules Impulse 500 consolle + 2 Akai lpd8.
I think atomix should work on this issue to make vdj perfect!

Mensajes Mon 27 Sep 21 @ 11:34 pm
Yes exactly the behavior I was referring to!
Happy to hear I'm not alone..
I changed my setup in the meantime: migrated from a DDJ100/Macbook Pro 2017 to a DJM-750MK2/Macbook M1 -> I still get the same issue although more performant hardware.

That being said, with no hardware attached, I cannot reproduce that behavior. (dono if it can help people reproducing or troubleshooting)

Mensajes Sat 16 Oct 21 @ 7:21 am
Hi sirs, i love stems and i've been usinge them since the birth of earth!!! the sound cut outs is a known problem!!! i have a very fast PC with AMD 5600X, 32gb RAM DDR4, and Nvidia GT 1060 &gb: i can use real time Stems 2.0 with the eaerly access version of VirtualDJ 2023.
The sound cut outs problem remain...
I have solved in this way:
When you use a stem FX, for example you want to flange only the voice stem: Activate also another effect, for example filter in 0 position (no filter effect): then if you use flanger or anothe effect nothing happens, and you will not have any cut.
You will have, if you completely deactivate FX stem. At the moment is the best i have tried to do!!!

Mensajes Tue 29 Nov 22 @ 9:16 pm
For me - the same thing. Hope VirtualDJ team hears us.

Mensajes Sun 24 Sep 23 @ 10:26 pm