Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Playlist extremely unreliable - showing tracks repeated, empties randomly, forgets track sequence?
So I spent a couple days working on a set list, dragging and dropping tunes into a playlist, putting them in order, using the 'reset order' option on right-click the column titles. I favourited the playlist for easy access.

All seemed to be going ok. But then one time I clicked back to the playlist and it had duplicated the playlist below the original tracks (missing 2 of the tracks in the duplicate), ie, tracks 1 to 40 appeared again as tracks 41 to 78. I figured it was a glitch, selected the duplicates and removed them. The effect was to remove ALL contents of the playlist, not just the selected tracks. All my work. Extremely fortunately, I'd taken a screenshot, so could rebuild, or I'd have blown a mental fuse.

A day later I came back to the playlist, dropped in a couple more tracks, worked out where they'd go, and dragged them to the desired place in the playlist. All seemed fine. Wary due to the above issues I grabbed a copy of the m3u file, but it had only saved the tracks after I'd dropped them in, and not again after I'd put them in order. I tried closing and reopening VDJ to get it to save the m3u, but on reopening the new tracks were at the bottom.

Fortunately again I had taken a screenshot so I moved them back up to position. I clicked to a different playlist then back - the tracks had all slipped back to the bottom. I did this three times, same result. The only way I could get VDJ to save the tracks was to create a new empty playlist, resequence the tracks and drag them into the new playlist. The new playlist is in order, but the old one again dropped the new tracks to the bottom again.

The playlist is only 50 odd tracks, all in the library and analysed and played in the past, I can't think of anything I have done to cause this. Anyone got any ideas as this is a major issue for me - most of my DJ time is fiddling with these!

I guess I didn't notice it until now as I was maintaining my playlists in Serato so they were read only in VDJ, but finally moved them across so I don't want to continue doing that.

I am running v8.5 b6444 on Mojave. (I don't want to upgrade just yet as I have a gig this weekend.)

Huge thanks

Mensajes Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 3:00 pm
I just checked and my user has read and write on both the directories and the specific m3u file. Added VirtualDJ to Full Disk Access and retried and the change in order has saved, but given what little I know about file permissions that seems likely to be coincidence? My user account is still the owner of the file when I `ls -l`, as are newly created playlists (in case that's helpful for diagnosis - I think that's correct behaviour).

I notice the instructions advise that playlists are edited in the AutoMix window and then Saved. (rtfm!) Is this a cause? I created the playlist by right-clicking on the root Playlists folder then 'Create New Playlist...', then did my work directly there, not in AutoMix. If that is necessary that seems a bit of a quirk, but perfectly doable. Maybe you could have a 'stale' indicator, eg, an asterisk indicating unsaved, and a Save function on the playlist?

Edit: Just seen the sequence I used recommended in VDJPedia I think, interested if I missed something.

Mensajes Sat 10 Jul 21 @ 9:44 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not sure what might have happened originally.
Editing playlists on the left side is fine, and changes are saved as they are made.
Also since the playlist did appear to be created and saved initially, it does not sound like it would be a permission issue. Otherwise the playlist would not have been created or saved at all.
If you sort the playlist in a different order and then add a track it will be saved in the new order though, but that would still not really explain the duplicates.

Mensajes Sat 10 Jul 21 @ 10:43 am
I am good for my gig tonight, just making notes for someone to look when back at the computer. Enormous thanks but didn't mean to interrupt your weekend Adion.

I am fairly sure I didn't re-sort, although that's good to know that moving a track implicitly resets the m3u order. On this I prefer the Serato way, in which you can only move a track if you're in the playlist order. I might spend a lot of time setting up an order, matching key, bpm, tune elements, etc in rehearsal. I might then sort by BPM while playing, maybe 'in the moment' of playing a set, play some stuff, then forgetting I'd sorted by BPM, move a track and lose all my work (or maybe just drag a track by mistake with the mouse).

Appreciate people have their ways of working but maybe a dismissable one-off warning, that I could keep persistent, that moving will reset the whole playlist order? (Appreciate I am more precious than most about my playlists!)

When I re-sequenced the tracks then looked at the m3u file, the timestamp hadn't changed. I'd then click a different playlist then back again thinking that might trigger a save, but the playlist was reloaded from file without save, timestamp unchanged and sequence wrong. So I then tried to close and re-open VDJ but same behaviour. I was looking for the event to trigger the save. Thinking now I could have added a random track to see if that'd save it. Looks like there's a missing event hook if no files are added and just the sequence is changed.

The doubling of the playlist sounds like it must have been a separate rendering/parsing issue. I hadn't done anything outside of the playlist window - just clicked on another playlist, then back on my gig playlist.

Mensajes Sat 10 Jul 21 @ 11:43 am
I'm a new user here. I found my iTunes (well, now "Music") playlist and loaded to Virtual DJ. The songs are shown in a totally different order on Virtual DJ - sorted by the artist names. Is there a way to import a playlist with the song order intact ?

Mensajes Wed 15 Sep 21 @ 6:39 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
right click any field header [artist, title, etc] and select reset sort order

Mensajes Wed 15 Sep 21 @ 6:53 pm
right click any field header [artist, title, etc] and select reset sort order
I couldn't find the column that represents the original song order....
Oh, wait, I tried it again and now the songs are in the intended order! :-)
I'm puzzled.

Mensajes Wed 15 Sep 21 @ 8:36 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
it can be a field [it's "order" but it is only available with EARLY ACCESS 6636]
any build; when you're out of order right click any header and the very top of the pop up will have "reset sort order"

Mensajes Wed 15 Sep 21 @ 8:42 pm
I am experiencing the same problem - my playlists on itunes are not importing to virtualdj pro infinity 2021 in the same order that I created them. I tried the reset sort order and still not working. Can anyone help with this???

Mensajes Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 4:06 am