Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Wanting to merg 2 older laptops different media & separate playlists to One new laptop
247joePRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hey Guys I need your advice unlike the age old how to i move VDJ, Media, History, cue points & playlists to a new macine.... I have an interesting twist to the scenario that I've not found an answer to yet.

I have 2 older existing laptops that I use both with VDJ pro.
One that I use only for DJ'ing audio files & the other for my solo singing shows that has MP4 video backing track files on. Both have a their own different playlists on for the respective gig types.

To save time setting up & taking less kit I want to now use just one new Laptop to host both audio & MP4 Video files for when I do functions that I both sing & DJ at.

My conundrum is as follows:

Both old media libraries & VDJ files are located on respective C: Drives ...
The media from both now need to live on new D: Drive. As my new C: is smaller SSD with Operating system only not big enough for media aswell so this needs to live on much bigger Sata Hard Drive on D: Drive

I'm assuming it's best to still host VDJ itself on new C: Drive for Speed etc & to put all Media from both laptops on D: Drive?

I'm also assuming to migrate both Libraries to D: Drive just copy over.??...
But Can I migrate & merge both existing different VDJ playlists into 1?... If so How do I do this?

This may mean some kind of relocating media addresses for Playlist to recognise new D: Drive location or maybe there is an easier way due to the 000's of songs & 00's of playlists?

I've heard that's it possible to make changes via VDJ itself that automatically updates files / playlist addresses ?...But I've never done this before

I know you clever folk love a challenge so any advice, instructions & links would be massively appreciated. Thanks guys & girls

Mensajes Wed 16 Feb 22 @ 5:39 pm
Get an external drive then select the songs in VDJ you want copied then right click > file operations > copy to

Select the external drive then VDJ will create a database on the external drive then you can do the same with the second laptop.

Once all copied, load VDJ on the fresh machine and use the same command to copy them from the external drive to the new laptop.

Not sure about playlists though (or what exactly you mean by that), they will use the original file location info so you may need to update them manually.

Difficult to say without seeing what you actually have.

Mensajes Wed 16 Feb 22 @ 6:22 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can use the database backup and restore function. This will not remove any existing playlists, so can be used to copy the playlists too.

Mensajes Wed 16 Feb 22 @ 7:33 pm

Not sure about playlists though (or what exactly you mean by that),

Hey Kradcliffe thanks for the reply… re your comment on playlists…

I have an Audio only playlist one 1 old laptop and a video playlist on the other I want to try export both from my old laptops and merge as 1 single playlist on the new one. If that makes any more sense?

Mensajes Thu 17 Feb 22 @ 12:03 am
Adion wrote :
You can use the database backup and restore function. This will not remove any existing playlists, so can be used to copy the playlists too.

Hey Adion thanks for this … so will the restore onto new laptop still work if the original media address location is different on the new drive?

Mensajes Thu 17 Feb 22 @ 12:06 am
What happens when you have a VirtualDJ 2020 PRO Subscriber license: and tried to use the below Database option and it not there to use? How to I get round this.
This would be a fab solution!

A database backup can also be created automatically over a certain period of days. To set this up go to Options automaticDatabaseBackupPeriod and input a value (number of days) into the field.

The location of the backup can also be pre-set by going to Options databaseBackupLocation and inputing the folder location.

RESTORING A DATABASE BACKUP
To restore a backup of your VirtualDJ Database click Browser Options Database Restore Database Backup

Mensajes Sat 19 Feb 22 @ 2:16 pm