Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Can you explain the - Page: 1
I am trying to set filters in the browser and I am struggling to understand the Key difference filter.

The only thing that is clear is if I set Key difference = 0, I get (let's take a hypothetical example of a playing song in the key 05B):

• Same key: 05B
  • All notes are identical, just relative scale: 05A
  • Six of seven notes are identical: 04B and 06B

I wanted to add additional keys to be highlighted by different colours. If I use Key difference = 1, I get (for the above 05B example) 09B, 10A, 10B, 12A, 11B and 12B.

I thought that likely we are not moving on the Camelot wheel, but on the musical scale (as the screenshot proposes):

which makes sense.

The questions (all are related to the above 05B example):

• How to highlight only one key, not all the compatible keys as well? If I wanted to highlight exactly one key, i.e. only 05B songs?
  • How to move in only one direction, i.e. to highlight +2 = 07B but not -2 = 03B?
  • How to move from inner to outer or from outer to inner cycle, i.e. to highlight 06A with a different colour?

Which value for Key difference shall I use to achieve the above? Thanks.

Mensajes Wed 20 Apr 22 @ 12:06 pm
I see the subject got trimmed in an unfortunate way :)

Mensajes Wed 20 Apr 22 @ 12:39 pm
I am happy you started this thread since, there are things I would love to understand more fully.

Bowie Groove wrote :
I thought that likely we are not moving on the Camelot wheel, but on the musical scale (as the screenshot proposes):

I would love to understand more how the key dropdown menu, relates to the Key diff of 0 shown in the browser column. (continuing with your example of a track of 5B) As you mention...this is list of tracks shown with browser Key Diff of 0 but with varying boldness of the "circled check"

Ie: the browser column shows tracks with key difference of 0 that the Key Dropdown would indicate being -5, and +5 difference.. would love to understand this more.

Equally interesting .. have come across almost identical tracks on Beatport, one with intro and outtros, the other a radio edit, and VDJ will analyze them and showing a -5 Key difference in the key difference, in the key difference browser column. (and crossfading quickly between synced tracks.. cannot hear any difference, or playing both at same time)

Leading me to just use my ear more for key matching. Would love to understand more..

------------------------

Bowie Groove wrote :
The questions (all are related to the above 05B example):
[list]
[*]How to highlight only one key, not all the compatible keys as well? If I wanted to highlight exactly one key, i.e. only 05B songs?

filter of:
Key is 5B
should work..

Mensajes Wed 20 Apr 22 @ 4:20 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
keyDiff of 0 indeed shows all compatible keys as well, so for 5B, it shows 5B, 4B, 6B and 5A
keyDiff of 1 shows all songs which can be made compatible by only moving the key up or down by 1 semi-tone.

In your example, 09B = G Maj can be increased by one semitone to reach Ab Maj = 04B

Mensajes Wed 20 Apr 22 @ 4:53 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :

filter of:
Key is 5B
should work..

Of course, but I am looking for a generic definition linked to the song actually playing.

Mensajes Wed 20 Apr 22 @ 7:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I just made a filter for all 24 possibilities,
press button, query track key, go to filter

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 4:46 am
Can you demonstrate, please?

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 5:03 am
make your 24 filters in the root of the filters folder filter name them as the harmonic you filter for "10B" etc

button

set filter `get_harmonic` &
set filter `param_add 'get_var filter' 'get_text "Filters://"'` &
set filter01goto `param_add 'get_text ".vdjfolder"' 'get_var filter'` &
get_var filter & param_cast & browser_gotofolder

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 5:45 am
Hey, that is smart. I understand it as clicking on the custom button the browser would open the filter folder with the same name as the key of the loaded song. That would be amazing.
I already had the folders (I was browsing them manually), but the button does not work for some reason. Something happens (I see some unfolding and folding of the folders), but the browser keeps showing the same folder I was in before clicking on the button.
What am I doing wrong? Would you advise, please, how to list a folder in a subfolder Key (in Filters)?

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 12:15 pm
because your filters aren't on the root of filters they're in a vFolder, let me fix the script

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 12:54 pm
If you're not using the root of filters for your keys [like maybe in a virtual folder on the root of filters, vfolder called called "key"]

set gotoString `param_add "get_text '\Folders\Filters\Key.subfolders\'" get_vdj_folder"` &
set gotoString `param_add "get_harmonic" "get_var gotoString"` &
set gotoString `param_add "get_text '.vdjfolder'" "get_var gotoString"` &
get_var gotoString & param_cast & browser_gotofolder

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 1:18 pm
Works like a charm. Thanks a lot.
Now the biggest challenge is going to be to find a button on my controllers to map this custom button :)

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 2:18 pm
Thank you Bowie for starting this thread.. and to you Locodog for that amazingly clever script solution..

Love it .! !

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 5:43 pm
How would one create a quick filter?

Key is "`deck master get_harmonic`"

and variations, do NOT work.

Is it possible to create the quick filter?

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 7:06 pm
Not possible... as far as I've figured [and I did think of trying to writing to settings]

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 7:09 pm
Thanks Locodog...

Is this because the quick_filter verb cannot accept "actions" as input? (like say, param_equal, can)

If so, this would be a cool addition to the quick_filter verb, to fully utilize the full power of quick filters.
(in this case wanting to toggle: to find, tracks in current folder with the same key, when looking for a next possible track)

Ie: a wish list item.

------------
locodog wrote :
[and I did think of trying to writing to settings]

That is a cool idea.. what stopped that from working?

How can one get the current list of quickFilters from settings?

I cannot get far with:

setting "quickFilters"

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 7:37 pm
I did put it forward, 1 for the filtering it would open up, plus to me there's an immediacy of having buttons where they are that just say "I should be a goto button", but then......

no, I'm mistaken, I did have a way to call script with quick filters, I'm only half remembering it, let me forget and I'll remember it fully.

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 7:53 pm
if I remember, it's not a gettable part of settings. I was trying to read write at the xml level
I've just cracked a tinny, and I've remembered the method [partially]

you can query if a quickfilter is applied, can't remember if you can query by name, but I'm sure you can query by number, do you get where I'm going?

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 8:59 pm
locodog wrote :
you can query if a quickfilter is applied, can't remember if you can query by name, but I'm sure you can query by number, do you get where I'm going?

one can query when a quick_filter is applied, both by:

quick_filter 'Key is 10B' ? action1 : action2

see ( http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/245599/Wishes_and_new_features/Wish_for_quick_filters_to_be_referenced_by_name___and_More_quick_filters_buttons.html )

and

quick_filter 5 ?  action1 : action2

--------
how is that helpful for a workaround, for setting up a quick_filter with an embedded action or variable. (not getting where you are going, with that)

Mensajes Fri 22 Apr 22 @ 9:12 pm
you're thinking; because of a then b. It's more because of a, then grab some data, manipulate search fields, jump to somewhere that was plausible to preconceive for possible data & then use search for whatever had too many variables to account for.

It's not a needle in a haystack problem, it's a needle in a sewing circle,
meets criteria , not a specific track.

first example, [I'm not looking up the how exactly]
exact key match of master deck from current folder
first, one quick filter button that is just a placeholder, it may as well filter already played.
rsi is running in the background watching for that qfilter on [and others]
press, rsi, first it jumps in to songs window grabs a track path, with that you get a partial filepath string, turn filepath on as a searchable field, hold on that a second, grab masterdeck key, build a gotoFilterString goto key filter, now we have a key match but folder is off, drop the filepath string in search and result.

complicated to make, sure, script it right, to use it's a button press
If you can query it, then it doesn't matter what it was 'supposed' to be used for, it's just a yes || no,
in a roundabout way even a folder could act as button

Mensajes Sat 23 Apr 22 @ 9:29 am
95%