Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Multiple beatgrid marker performance question
Hi

I play a lot of old 80s songs & more often than not the bpm is all over the place. I also use Soundswitch which relies on having an accurate beatgrid.

Does anyone know if there are any VDJ performance or other issues if I add beatgrid markers to every bar of a song in order to force Soundswitch to accurately track the fluctuating bpm of the song?

TIA for any insights.

Mensajes Fri 01 Jul 22 @ 1:00 am
Probably no performance issues, but we really shouldn't be needing to do this manually in DJ software any more.

DAWs have had audio warping for many years now, with automated transient marking and quantisation.

Mensajes Sat 02 Jul 22 @ 8:23 am
Thanks for your input Groovindj.

I have been doing exactly that with good results but, ignoring the time it takes to do accurately, I'm anti it for two reasons - firstly, it introduces unwanted distortion & artifacts & secondly, it tends to 'roboticise' the song. Granted, neither are especially noticeable when playing live but they certainly are when using headphones in a DAW & my OCD gets a bit twitchy about it. Also, some songs I play have intentionally varying tempos (eg 'Come On Eileen').

For me, a better approach if practical is to get Soundswitch to track the unaltered beat of the song. My concern is VDJ needing to load a potentially quite sizeable single-file XML database and/or access a large amount of data per song may impact performance or cause it to crash & so I'm trying to get what info I can before deciding to go down this path.

Thanks again for your suggestion tho & on the plus side it is certainly nice to have a song that is consistently 128BPM as opposed to one that varies a few BPM either side...

Mensajes Mon 04 Jul 22 @ 2:19 am
I'm having the same BPM tracking issues, even with consistent drum machine tracks.
I appreciate that for live drumming it's a difficult and next impossible task to track.

Even songs I've written myself with drums loops in say 119 get detected as 119.01 which is very strange.

There appears no way to tell VDJ the actual BPM manually so that you don't get beat grid drift.

This is becoming more frustrating.

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 22 @ 7:34 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What's the length of your tracks, and what's the exact bpm you see when opening the bpm editor?

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 22 @ 8:00 am
Adion wrote :
What's the length of your tracks, and what's the exact bpm you see when opening the bpm editor?

Ok, I'm looking at one track at 124bpm which is 1min 48.4 long and vdj analyzed the tempo as 123.989.

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 22 @ 3:07 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
That should only be a drift of 10 milliseconds over the entire track then, not sure if that would be noticeable...

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 22 @ 3:43 pm
DJ Talotres wrote :
I'm having the same BPM tracking issues, even with consistent drum machine tracks.
I appreciate that for live drumming it's a difficult and next impossible task to track.

Even songs I've written myself with drums loops in say 119 get detected as 119.01 which is very strange.

There appears no way to tell VDJ the actual BPM manually so that you don't get beat grid drift.

This is becoming more frustrating.

Hi DJ Talotres your issue isn't the same as mine but out of curiosity I laid down a quantised 3 minute 141bpm drum track & imported it into VDJ. VDJ got the bpm exactly right with nothing after the decimal point & the beatgrid was accurate throughout the track. The only odd thing was that it placed all the grid markers about 100 milliseconds before the transients. That piece of weirdness aside, it was spot on, so that might suggest something in your setup could be the cause of your problem. I found that using certain plugins in Serato Studio causes the audio to lag the waveform by up to 1/2 a second so maybe you have a similar issue in VDJ...

Mensajes Sat 09 Jul 22 @ 12:56 am